Unclippable Keychain Attachment

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like something to use instead of a split ring to clip my flashlight (and also my flash drive actually) to my keychain that would allow for it to me easily removed when necessary. Something like a very small caribiner or the clip that comes on the lanyard for the quark mini's. Maybe something like a crab claw could work too, minus the chain.

I went to my local hardware store but they didn't have anything like what I was looking for. Suggestions?

Thanks!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, that may be a bit too big, but definitely the right idea. I might have to get a few of those even if I don't use them for this project, great design.

Thanks for the link.

duboost

Enlightened
I have a couple S biners and they don't feel that secure. They open way too easily. Here's a thread from edc forums about this issue

Why not just use a clip like the one that came with the quark mini or lobster claw like you mentioned? Just use a small split ring to attach your light to the lobster claw/clip then clip that to your keychain, allowing your light to be easily removed and attached to the rest of your keychain. Unique Titanium has some good keychain accessories

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I think these mcgizmo clips are perfect!
Wow this whole site is awesome, I want it all.
Don't know how I've never been here before.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

JML

Enlightened
The Suncor stainless spring clips are the inspiration for the others mentioned. You can often find them locally in marine hardware dealers.

I've used them for years. I polish 'em up a bit. Large enough to open with one finger, without having to look, and very strong. Small enough and light enough so they're not obtrusive.

S0185-0035.jpg

Last edited:

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I went down this road and came up with a couple good options.

I think these are great. They also have a powder coating option to custom color them for the artist in you. Not sure about the long term durability of the powder coating - I have ordered some this way but haven't really put them to the test. A good inexpensive option anyway.
http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/mts12.htm

Another option which is just like what comes stock on the quark lanyards can be purchased at lighthound. They look kind of gold in the picture but they are chrome like the description says.
http://www.lighthound.com/Lanyard-Swivel-Metal-Hook_p_748.html

Have fun. Buy 'em by the dozen and have some spares on hand.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've been using a small S-Biner for a while and like that it's easy to take the light off of it. But, I use it on a belt loop. Like duboost said they do open maybe too easy for keychain use.

Geoff

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm with FITP on this. Berkeley Point stocks the McGizmo Mini-clips, and you can also get the Ti ring in this photo:

Keyring.jpg

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is a sexy keychain! Lol
I went with 2 of the stainless steel 20mm ones for the moment, maybe I will upgrade to TI someday. I also got three of each of the split rings.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
I'm with FITP on this. Berkeley Point stocks the McGizmo Mini-clips, and you can also get the Ti ring in this photo:

Keyring.jpg

Nice work!
Where did you get that ring? Looks like something I wanted to get for a long time! =)

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to know where you got it too! I assumed it was from the unique titanium website, but I don't see it there.

I really want one of those titanium sporks too.....

hazna

Enlightened
IMG_0067.jpg

This is how I attach my drake to my keyring. Its a small lanyard clip (originally from lighthound, but can't seem to find them on there anymore), attached to spro split ring swivels (available from cabelas). I have added a few minature rubber ties to keep the swivel within the non-opening end of the lanyard hook.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Where did you get that ring? Looks like something I wanted to get for a long time!
I would love to know where you got it too!
I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear in my post - I got the ring from Berkeley Point, same place I got the clips - here is the link. There are various sizes available - mine is 1 3/16 inch diameter. The McGizmo mini-clips are 35mm size.

I have a cord looped over my belt with another McG mini-clip on it - this attaches to the ring. That way, the whole ring + keys etc can be unclipped when required, such as when going through an airport scanner.

The ring happens to be exactly the right thickness to prevent those clips opening by accident and falling off - it is possible for this to happen using a thinner ring.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad, but it kinda looks like you are carrying more metal to carry your keys and accessories than the actual items themselves. Sorry, I don't mean to criticize.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad, but it kinda looks like you are carrying more metal to carry your keys and accessories than the actual items themselves. Sorry, I don't mean to criticize.

You are quite right but by throwing idea's out there it gives peeps Idea's to configure a set up for themselves,the one in my last post was awhile back here's another idea ;)

005-38.jpg

[edit] fully loaded :thumbsup:

002-73.jpg

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my mcgizmo nano clips and they are awesome, thanks for the recommendations guys! I got some split rings too and they are also really high quality, almost too high quality, I will definitely get one of those key sergeants next time, although a penny seems to get the job done too. Just a great transaction.