Seach for the perfect flashlight

Mosvad

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF
I'm new in this forum and have been looking around for a couple of days now. I'm going to get my first led flashlight. The smaller the better, short is the most important i think, therefore I'm thinking it has to run on 2xCR123 batteries, rechargeable isn't something for me, because I'm not going to use it on daily basis. I like a good long throw, but, I also want to light up a big as possible area. So a middle thing between a "thrower" and "flooder", a medium thrower with a big spill I think that will be?
I have made a list of the lights that I think will fit me the most:
Eagletac T20C2 Mark II
Eagletac P20C2 Mark II
I don't really get the big difference between the p and t series, but I know the p20 series has an possibility to stand on its tail, can the t20 also do that? Because with a diffuser I think this will be something I'm going to use. I'm also wondering if you can get a long beam diffuser to the eagletac like you can get to the fenix lights?
I have also seen some beam shots of the two compared to each other, the p20 should have a bit of green. is that very clear to see when you doesn't compare it to another light? If it is going to be an eagletac i want the cool white beam I think it gives the nicest colour. I'm also wondering if the t20 might get too big to my pockets, after all it is almost an inch longer than the p20.
Fenix tk11 R2
Fenix pd30 r4
The fenix tk11 is the only one of these lights I have actually seen in use, but it only has two modes witch i don't think it is very much, and again can it stand on its tail like the pd30 can? I'm also wondering if the pd30 is just as strong build as the other lights?
Olight m20
Olight m21
The m21 i like because of the really high lumen output, but it's a bit pricy I think, therefore I'm also looking at the m20.
Can anyone help me taking a decision? And tell me something about the beamprofiles, maybe even some good pictures where I can compare the lights?
Thanks
Mosvad

joe1512

Enlightened
Have you thought about the size in detail?

If you really want it to be very small, then maybe a AAA or 1xcr123 light is what you want instead? You can put it on your keychain so it will be handy. A single L92 energizer ultimate lithium works in super cold weather, lasts 15 years, and has a lot of charge that won't decay over time.

Or does it just have to be small enough to fit in your pocket?

If it stays around the house or in the car, size really isn't an issue as pretty much most lights here are smaller than a 2C maglite.

As a FYI, rechargable batteries are usually preferred not just because of cost, but because they can also support a higher current output.

A single 18650 light with a small head isn't really all that big. You could put it in your pocket, and yet could crank out 500+ lumens if you need that kind of power.

Anyways, I am just saying that you want to doublecheck your size requirements, and you may want to specify your lumen output requirements as well.

wingnut86

Banned
I just received the P20C2 MKII, and would recommend it for sure. The beam of the XP-G in an OP reflector seems to be what you are looking for. It really is the perfect little light. More perfect when I get the Neutral white drop-in for it!

The T20C2 MKII will have more throw than the P20, is bigger, they both can tailstand with the supplied rubber boot that fits over the tailcap, it works rather nicely.

The beam on my P20 is pure white, the tint will vary slightly from light to light, unless you get the Neutral version.

Oh, and it's BRIGHT....On par with my MTE SSC P7, And my ROP Low which is no slouch! And the low mode is super useful, I've used that the most so far.

Last edited:

Mosvad

Newly Enlightened
Anyways, I am just saying that you want to doublecheck your size requirements, and you may want to specify your lumen output requirements as well.

About the size; i just want it to fit in my pocket or in a belt, because i am going to use it on scout camps, hikes ect. around the 13 cm in lenght i think would be good.
Lumen output, the higher the better, because the flashlight is being bought as a useful tool but still i want it to be a cool gadget, there makes me and my friends says WOW when i turn it on :D
therefore i am also looking at the olight m-21 because of the very high lumen output but i havent seen any beamshots from it yet.

so no AAA lights for me, the class i'm looking for is those model i mentioned.

hm, about the rechargabel battteries, you gave me something to think about, but most lights there can handle 2xcr123 also handles the rechargeable 18xxx(or something like that:p) right?

carrot

Flashaholic
I have no idea about the Eagletac or the Fenix as I have long stopped caring for those brands but I can explain why the Olight M21 is so damn expensive: the LED in there is like $30-40 bucks alone (SST-50) whereas the LED in the M20 is about $5. Not that the M20's LED is bad (in fact Cree is pretty much the gold standard in portable lighting now) but the SST-50 is a more powerful and far more expensive LED.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I agree that if you are going to use it every day, that rechargeables are the way to go. . .

notsofast

Enlightened
I read here on CPF recently that the M20 out threw the M21. The M21 is brighter but does not penetrate the dark as well as the M20

Mosvad

Newly Enlightened
I have no idea about the Eagletac or the Fenix as I have long stopped caring for those brands but I can explain why the Olight M21 is so damn expensive: the LED in there is like $30-40 bucks alone (SST-50) whereas the LED in the M20 is about $5. Not that the M20's LED is bad (in fact Cree is pretty much the gold standard in portable lighting now) but the SST-50 is a more powerful and far more expensive LED.
How come you doesn't care for those brands anymore?

Is the SST-50 just as reliable and sustainabel as the the Cree LEDs?

And what you guys are saying is that, the m21 actually doesn't look like a flashligt there should be twice as powerful compared to the m20?

Thanks for all the answers so far.

carrot

Flashaholic
Eagletac: because my favorite dealer has stopped stocking them

Fenix: after they stopped listening to CPFers requests, cloned the Surefire M3T (TK30) and still can't use Li-ions properly.

And I have no idea what your last question meant.

Mosvad

Newly Enlightened
English isn't my first language, sorry for that:)
And the question isn't important anymore, because i don't think it is going to be the m21, after i have found some beamshots. i just don't think that i will get enough for my money when i buy the m21 compared to the other lights.
Do you have any exampels on the problems with fenix' using li-ions?

Right now i think eagletac p20 will be my choice, the t20 is simply to long i think.
But the m20 is also still a good possibility i think.

The fenix lights where the most attractive in the beginning of my search for the perfect flashlight, but after reading a lot of threads here on CPF, i found out that they aren't mentioned as much as the other two brands. which i think is not very good.

Anyone there can tell me a bit more about the user interface, and the way to change modes on the m20 and p20? which one do you prefer?

recDNA

Flashaholic
IMO Fenix and Eagletac are BOTH excellent quality. Look at the features and see what best meets your needs. I've never had a Fenix nor an Eagletac fail me and I have both. Eagletac tend to be a little brighter albeit a little bigger.

bodhran

Enlightened
Take a look at the 4Sevens Quarks. With the regular, tacticle, and turbo options you might find one you like.

Mosvad

Newly Enlightened
I think i have made my choice. The p20c2 mark II. Right now i'm just looking for the right site to buy it from. I live i Denmark so i prefer an eu site.
Thanks for the replys

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
So Mosvad you made your choice... Congratulations!
I would like to ad something for the benefit of all.

Note : english is not my mother tongue.

I own all three Fenix PD30's Q5, R2 and R4 and why I did choose the Fenix PD30 when I had to make the same choice as you for my first LED emitter EDC ?

The reason is for sure the very good reputation of Fenix everywhere on the Web and as you see on the picture below all the options available for that superb flashlight.

For sure I will tell you the truth and tell you that Quark 123/2 is also a very good choice and (all the Fenix's options will fit on it). Correction : to fit on Quark these options have to be lightly modified by a Dremel because que Quark is approximately 1mm larger in diameter than the Fenix PD30. Sorry for the error.

OPTIONS :
Fenix White Lantern Diffuser
Fit one of these and your torch it's instantly transformed into a lantern capable of lighting a whole room or tent. Ideal for map reading,or any other situation that a diffused light source is required. Made from a heat resistant, high impact material (PC 2805) this simple and effective device is a must have item for all Fenix torch owners. Easy to fit and remove. Compatible with Fenix LD and PD-Series Flashlights.

Fenix Red Lantern Diffuser
Red lantern attachment can be attached to your Fenix flashlight to use as a signalling beacon or for night vision use.

Fenix Red Filter
The Fenix red filter produces a smooth beam of red light that will not degrade night vision as white light would. Hunters often use the red filter to avoid spooking game during pre-dawn hours as deer see poorly in the red colour spectrum.
Also useful for close range non-tactical applications such as map reading as it reduces the intensity of light output. Made from heat resistant coated glass with anti roll design. Simple push fit design can be quickly fitted.
Fenix Traffic Wand
Fenix traffic wand can convert your flashlight into a glowing orange high-visibility wand. It's the best option for emergency situations and traffic control.
Made from a heat resistant, high impact material (PC 2805) this simple and effective signalling device is a must have item for all Fenix torch owners. Easy to fit and remove. Compatible with Fenix LD and PD-Series Flashlights.
Features of Fenix AD201 Traffic Wand:
• Made from PC 2805 plastic created by Bayer Material Science AG, high quality guarantee
• Anti-impact and anti-heat, super durable, can be used in boolet proof applications
• Easy to attach, easy to remove

Correction : only these two will fit the Quark 123²
Fenix Diffuser Lens AD401
Fenix Diffuser Lens is specially designed for Fenix headlamp and flashlight to diffuse the lighting beam with easy assembling, it can be used for short distance reading or used as a camping light with flashlight. With open type structure design, Fenix Diffuser Lens fit to headlamp or flashlight with diameter from 20mm to 21.5mm. Fits Fenix HP10 Headlamp and LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30 flashlights.

Fenix Head Band
The Fenix headband is specially designed for outdoor sports and converts your flashlight into a headlamp, freeing both hands to make your outdoor exploration, climbing, hiking, cycling and traveling easier and more convenient. Including - two headbands, two flashlight mounts, one waterproof battery compartment.

IMG_0024.jpg

Last edited: