SF 6P + Malkoff M60: what upgrade do you recommend?

k9ghost

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone I am new here to the forum and have to say I am really impressed with the amount of knowledge that some of you possess in this field. I would like to ask for a little help in upgrading my current light (SF P6 with a Malkoff M60). My lights are used for patrol/K-9 duty use. I would like to upgrade to a light with similar or better out put with rechargeable cells, size isn't really a factor but hard use is. What are your thoughts on having a custom SF built?

Thanks K9Ghost

Last edited by a moderator:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A Little help is needed

you mean a Surefire 6P with M60 right? Is that about the size of light that you want? I could say look at an Olight M30, Fenix TK40 but these are larger lights.

curtispdx

Enlightened
You want something similar that can run rechargeable batteries? The setup that you have now will do it with one 17670 or two RCR123s.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
It depends upon which rechargables you have in mind. You may wish to consider the following:

1. Lithium ion: Either use RCR123's in your SF, or switch to a 17670. If you are looking for a lithium ion light but want greater capacity, the Fenix TK11R2 is nicely regulated on 18650's.

2. 2 X AA: If you are looking for a light that runs on AA rechargables, there are a number of good choices. The place to start is with Selfbuilt's superb roundup review here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

3. Finally, if you can deal with a somewhat larger light, the Fenix TK40 runs on 8XAA, is extremely sturdy, and will put your M60 to shame with regard to light output.

Good hunting.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
you probably won't find much of a better set up than what you have other than malkoff now has the M61 out with a more efficient light (more lumens/longer runtime!) but you should bore out the battery tube to accept 18650 batts. Honestly a 6P is the most durable and versatile host you can get, there are many threads on doing it yourself, or mailing it to someone, or buying a bored body, also AW has the best 18650 from what i have seen. good luck!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The only way I can think of to improve the 6P/M60 (besides getting one of the new M61's) would be to use LiIon rechargeables: one AW 17670 or (better yet) an AW 18650 LiIon (& boring the 6P for 18mm cells).

Your intended (hard) use is a very important consideration. While there is a theoretical decrease in overall reliability going from CR123 lithium primaries to LiIon rechargeable cells, this is mitigated somewhat by using a single large cell instead of two RCR123's, with two protection circuits to fail rather than one. With a single large protected cell, output will decline gradually over many hours instead of a 240 lumen -> 0 lumen:poof: (without warning) with 2x RCR123 as one of the two protection circuits trigger upon cell depletion.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
JetBeam Jet-III M, a pair of hi-cap 18650's and an Ultrafire 139 charger.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a 2x18500 Leef Body and run either 2x18500 IMR or 18500 Li-ion cells with your M60. Or just get a bored out 9P body tube from ElectronGuru.

DM51

Flashaholic
Buy a 2x18500 Leef Body and run either 2x18500 IMR or 18500 Li-ion cells with your M60. Or just get a bored out 9P body tube from ElectronGuru.
Agreed - a good upgrade that would give you more runtime. The ElectronGuru mods are very nice - look for a SF 9P or C3 in HA BK, if he has one. To cap it off, get in on the feeding frenzy for the Malkoff M61.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Or at the same time as getting Electronguru to bore out your 6P you could order a bored A19 extender. That way it would accept 2 X 18500s for increased runtime but could revert back if desired.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Rock solid setup IMHO.
I would just upgrade to a 5-mega 2x18500 body and use rechargable lithium ions. Leef bodies are KILLER, but they are increasingly harder to find on the marketplace.

http://www.lighthound.com/FiveMega-...ery-or-3x123-Battery-Black-Finish_p_2824.html

I don't have any first hand experience with the new Malkoff M61, but if it follows all the other XRE-to-XPG design changes, it will have more lumens, but less throw than its predecessor. AFIAK, This stems from the lower surface brightness of the XPG (compared to the high flux bin XRE).

You mention "customs"... Then the sky is the limit. The MMM sub forum is full of competent CPF-machinists who will work with you and custom make something to your liking.

As for "semi-customs"
I'd like to see a Lumens factory D36
http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Fa...-13-volt-250-Lumens-Lamp-Assembly_p_3313.html

With their D36 bezel
http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-D36-Mini-Turbo-Head-Assembly_p_3212.html

Hosted by a surefire C3. Too bad the LF anodize color is so far off from SF, they could have a real winner IMHO.

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO the M60 has the most useable spread of light out there. A nice hot-spot, with light spreading out from there, ending in some wide dim side-spill. Most of the lights I have had since sacrifice throw for anything useable off the center hot-spot. Or are too floody with too much light out to the edges. I don't want my immediate surroundings lit up, especially LE type situations. If I were you I'd get a bored body and run an 18650 with an M30. Want a lot more runtime? An M60 with a body that accepts 2 18650's.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
As Malkoff dropins are so highly regarded, then another option would be to get an MD2, MD3 or MD4 along with his high/low ring for 2 levels of light output.

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
On my duty belt I presently run a Malkoff MD4 and a FM 2x18650 with a Malkoff M60.

NightKids

Enlightened
Cool thanks! Now it's just a matter of convincing my fiancee that I need another flashlight and try to sneak the malkoff in at a later time.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome ghost. I just tried out a M60LL yesterday. Not as much output but it's not dim either. Ran it for about 3 hours in a G2 (all plastic). Using a 17670 it does not even get warm. Good luck trying to bust up a SureFire G2. Open flame or a grinder maybe. The battery still tested 100% on my ZTS, so it'll run quite awhile. But there as so many combo's you just have to experiment. Selling SureFire stuff or Malkoff isn't too hard around here. N'joy.
The M60LL is the only one recommended for plastic lights by Malkoff.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I don't think you need to upgrade your led module, of course you may just have the itch to. Maybe just upgrade your host to a MD2 with high/low ring to have a nice low option with your M60.