Using a McLux external O-Ring on your L4 (#209?)

avusblue

Enlightened
I did a quick search but didn't find anything already posted on this, although I doubt no one's mentioned this yet . . .

Has anyone else noticed that the big rubber O-ring from the tailguard of your McLux fits perfectly in the groove on the head of your SureFire L4? According to the McLux DIY instruction pdf here , this is a "#209" O-ring. Its the biggest, thickest one on your McLux.

Has anyone else done this?

I'd like to purchase a few of these O-rings. However, I don't see this O-ring for sale at the Sandwich Shoppe. Where can I locate them? Is "209" a standard designation that would let me find them at a local hardware store?

All help is appreciated.

One warning -- these are a nice addition to the L4, it sort of cushions it against whatever surface you lay the light down on, and it looks good. BUT -- BE WARNED -- The O-ring is VERY difficult to remove from the L4 without damaging it. It is pretty snug and fits well down in that deep groove. To try to pry it out, will likely require something metal that could scratch the HA finish of the head. The way to really get it out (for me at least) was to "stab" the O-ring with something sharp (I used drafting calipers) and pull it up so you can start to roll it off. The warning is, don't put this O-ring on your L4, unless you know you want it there, have a spare one for your McLux, and / or are prepared to damage either the O-ring or scratch the L4 when taking it off.

Best regards,

Dave

Oichan

Newly Enlightened
Like this?
L4Digital14.jpg

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Using a McLux external O-Ring on your L4 (#209

Question for you guys.

I agree it does make the light a bit more cosmetically appealing, but given the high temps that this light reaches anyway, aren't you concerned that this O-Ring might act as an thermal insulator and allow even more heat build-up in the head?

I could be full of it, but it is worth considering.

avusblue

Enlightened

OK guys, I went to a neighborhood hardware store (aren't they great??? Sure beats Home Despot . . . ) and looked at O-rings. I found the perfect one. The package is marked

Danco Company
Stk No 35875B
15/16 x 11/16 x 1/8
#95 O-ring

39 cents each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It fits both the McLux and the L4 perfectly . . . seems like an identical replacement for the McLux original. It doesn't stick out of the groove quite as much as in Izumi's picture above.

I thought about the heat retention issue, but figured what the heck. It doesn't seem as if the groove is really like a heat dissipation fin, anyway. I don't usually run the light for significant extended periods very often. I really don't think adding the O-ring will be any sort of issue.

I recommend this nifty little upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dave

Oichan

Newly Enlightened

I think about why they put that groove there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Heatsink? or Design? The KL5, KL7 didn't have groove in the 2003 SF catalog. At any rate, it is very hotter than my 5W LS M2 mod. But, my L4 is the whitest of all my current FlashLight's. A pure white light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif