I need advice from those in the know

kanertop

Newly Enlightened
After reading this forum for the past few days, I am convinced that the fine people on this site will lead me in the right direction.

A little about what need: I work as an aircraft mechanic and am looking for a light for walk around inspections at night. Max throw needed is generally no more than 70 ft. It will also need to provide good flood for engine inspection at close range. Battery type is not very important, as they are supplied to me for free. However, I am also open to rechargable, as they are more earth friendly. Size is not very important, as long as it can hang from my belt. I would prefer not to have one that is meant for the pocket (my pockets are already full enough). Most important is price. I don't want to spend over $150.

Thanks for your suggestions.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
ok i also say 4sevens quark .. either 2*cr123 model or the 2*AA model. (1aa is fine too but i think that in your use you might need the longer body for more comfortable grip)

also the tactical model might be nice. program one mode to high or max and other to medium for more closeup tasks. and the momentary option in tactical model can also be used as a signaling device.

long warranty, decent quality, nice runtimes, good output as they use newest line of leds. and they have pocket clips, lanyard and holster and extra gimmick finger loop.. and you can order a prism with them too to turn it into an anglelight..and also you can buy other batterybodies and mix and match them depending what battery you have at hand.. all in all.. they are of good value (but im biased.. i have 3 of them :) )

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
I'll recommend you try something a little "heavier duty" than the lights mentioned above. The Olight M21 is designed as a tactical light with multiple battery options and a stainless steel bezel (to protect that lens when you drop it / bang it). Also has scalloped tailcap that protects the most vulnerable part of most lights - the switch. Very powerful on high, but good low and mid modes with a nice beam. Comes with a decent holster also.

Check out Selfbuilt's excellent review:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=256530

Good luck!

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
Battery type is not very important, as they are supplied to me for free. However, I am also open to rechargable, as they are more earth friendly.

These are your best bet with the Olight M21:

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=1782

charger:

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=207

If you buy from 4sevens.com, the discount code (for members of this forum) is "cpf8" which will give you an 8% discount.

Let us know what you end up getting!

:thumbsup:

tygger

Enlightened
I believe there's more than a few aircraft mechanics/pilots on CPF that have asked similar questions. Maybe changing the thread title would help?

polkiuj

Enlightened
An aircraft mechanic I know uses the Jetbeam RRT-1. He says that he needs the throw.

I'd recommend a Quark Turbo 123x2 since it's quite cheap and is really solid compared to the regular Quarks. It's really small and bright too!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam Jet III M from bugoutgearusa. On sale at $84 now (there may be an additional discount using code "CPFJET"), can use 2xCR123s, 2xRCR123s, 1x18650.

It's a tough light too, tighten the head for max 225 lumens, loosen the head for a user programmable mode, from a low-low to max to strobe to beacon-SOS, whatever mode you may want or need.

It can be clipped or holstered to your belt too. Really like jetbeams, they're great and tough lights.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! A fellow CPFer who also works in the aviation industry!!!:wave:

I assume first of all that as a mechanic you'll be inside the hangar 90% of the time and wouldn't be doing pre-flight outdoors in the elements, LED flashlights would be perfect!

I've been using my Surefire C2 with a Dereelight Q4 5A/B on a 17670 Li-On and have been happy with the result. The warm tint really helps when looking inside avionics or through a bucket of bolts, screws etc...

Today I recieved a Jetbeam M1X and used in in 3-cell mode with 2x18500s. It was AWESOME! The high mode gives superb brightness and throw for nosecone/fuselage/wing/tail inspections and the user adjustable low mode allows you to setup a more useable low beam for close up use. The tint of the MC-E is not as warm as the 5A/B Q4 but its neutral white tint is still superb for all round use.

Some may complain that the M1X is a too large to fit inside a pocket or jacket, that may be true for some however when you're wearing mechanics overalls with large pockets, its no problem!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am and aircraft mechanic. i work the night shift with B747s and B777s.

i own and used every light listed below at work. and find that the quark 123-2 R5 tactical is the best for the job. ive let other mechanic co-workers borrow it and they all love it. its size/output ratio is incredible. the quark 123-2 R5 has a wide hotspot, and wide bright spill, that can easily light up the entire side of a B777-300 engine or fuselage. it makes my walkarounds easy, fast and thorough. it also has enough throw to light up the vertical stabilizer. its also lights up the entire landing gear. i love that wide spill.

i went with the tactical version, because i use my lights on max 95% of the time. and really have no need for strobe, beacon, sos. other brightness setting is set to medium for use in the maintenance van, or reading something.

i also use rechargeables. and charge up my batteries daily. so i dont have to worry about the light dying on me. i also carry a jetbeam lll M warm tint (love it for different reasons, mostly because it looks better, throws better, and is warm tint for wet conditions), and zebralight h501w on me at work. (its an awesome floodlight, and can be used hands free as a headlamp, but i just clip it to my shirt, and use it usually when changing tires).

alot of my co-workers think im crazy for spending a "whoping" $65 on a light. (our most used tool) but they also not rather turn their lights when im around :ironic:

go with the quark 123-2 R5. tactical or regular UI. you cant go wrong, and its at a great price. it is extremely small, and comfortable to carry, and hold. especially when you have to carry other tools. ive only dropped mine once, in the past few months, (it was a hard drop too) and thats because i had gloves on. i but i trust the durability of this light, because of its simple and effective design. so far its been great.

there have been so many rampers asking me about the light too, and i always recommend them the quark AA-2 R5, because it uses AA cells.

if you need any more requirements, i and many cpf members are more than willing to help you find the light your looking for.

kanertop

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone that gave me such outstanding advice. Initially I was determined to get yet another SL, they have served me well over the years. This forum enlightened me on the evolution of the LED flashlight and how much has changed in a few short years.

My search led me to 3 real contenders: Fenix PD30, Olight m21 and the Quark 123-2 R5.

Thanks to you, my new Quark is on the way. Thanks!!!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
great choice with the quark. you wont be disappointed. it also comes with a great holster, ive been using mine for months, and the velcro is still strong. its size is great too, because i also have to carry some tools, such as screwdrivers, leatherman, allen wrench set, my cel phone, a walky talky radio, wallet, cigerettes, and a few other things. so carrying a small light helps.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
After reading this forum for the past few days, I am convinced that the fine people on this site will lead me in the right direction.

A little about what need: I work as an aircraft mechanic and am looking for a light for walk around inspections at night. Max throw needed is generally no more than 70 ft. It will also need to provide good flood for engine inspection at close range. Battery type is not very important, as they are supplied to me for free. However, I am also open to rechargable, as they are more earth friendly. Size is not very important, as long as it can hang from my belt. I would prefer not to have one that is meant for the pocket (my pockets are already full enough). Most important is price. I don't want to spend over $150.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Surefire 6P running RCR123 batteries with a Malkoff M61 will all fit into that budget, help support our economy, and provide that certain sense of pride or ownership that is just priceless.

Latest posts