CR2-Based LED Lights - Flashaholic Recommended

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my newly purchased Muyshondt Aeon, I have found what is for me the perfect battery format for a pocket EDC. While I love the Aeon (even did a mini-review of it here), I would also love to have a couple other CR2 lights with other features such as warm tint or low low, etc. I know of a few CR2 based lights, but I would like to build a more comprehensive list from your recommendations, and review the other options out there. I didn't see any kind of a comprehensive thread on this already, so here we go.

Recommended CR2 Lights:
No Longer In Production (Look for on CPFMP)

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: CR2 LED Lights - Flashoholic Recommended

The Photons International Ion (another Muyshondt light) is incredible, as the first Cree XLamp flashlight and also a gorgeous soft flood light. I have one in maroon hard anodize and another in 24k gold...

The upcoming 4sevens Quark CR2 Ti MiNi is going to be excellent... a cutting edge emitter in a beautiful titanium body at a sweet price.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have three CR2 powered lights:

- Surefire Titan
- LiteFlux LF4
- Nitecore EZ CR2

I believe that most people will tell you to look at the Nitecore so I will suggest that you have a good look at the LF4 which is still available through LEDCool at a very interesting price. :cool:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Photons International Ion (another Muyshondt light) is incredible, as the first Cree XLamp flashlight and also a gorgeous soft flood light. I have one in maroon hard anodize and another in 24k gold...

The upcoming 4sevens Quark CR2 Ti MiNi is going to be excellent... a cutting edge emitter in a beautiful titanium body at a sweet price.
Thanks carrot. Is the Ion currently available, or is it one to look for on the MP?

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks carrot. Is the Ion currently available, or is it one to look for on the MP?

The Ion is sold-out since a long time... they sometime show up on the marketplace but they are getting quite rare...

However, someone (me...:devil:) is selling a very nice Ti Aeon on the marketplace...:naughty: !!!

carrot

Flashaholic

Yes, the Ion is long sold out, but it is worth having for those who like flood. I believe there's only one or two 24k gold Ions so don't bother looking...

1M1

Newly Enlightened

Though sold out, the MJP Extreme Micro lights are decent.

I prefer the Aeon, though.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Amilite made a nice little CR2 light called the Cuty, which was a single level twisy. Not sure if it is still in production, or even if Amilite is still around, though.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

Orb raw and Orb NS are cr2 lights as well as Jil lights .

HKJ

Flashaholic

I think Amilite made a nice little CR2 light called the Cuty, which was a single level twisy. Not sure if it is still in production, or even if Amilite is still around, though.

Some time ago I made a comparison between small lights, including CR2 lights, there I had the MCP Extreme Micro, Aeon and Cute CR2. It can be seen either on my website or here on cpf.

Here is a picture of some CR lights:
DSC_0823.jpg

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is so interesting on the price,from the link it looks like it is still $52.Am I missing something??????

I have three CR2 powered lights:

- Surefire Titan
- LiteFlux LF4
- Nitecore EZ CR2

I believe that most people will tell you to look at the Nitecore so I will suggest that you have a good look at the LF4 which is still available through LEDCool at a very interesting price. :cool:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some time ago I made a comparison between small lights, including CR2 lights, there I had the MCP Extreme Micro, Aeon and Cute CR2. It can be seen either on my website or here on cpf.

Here is a picture of some CR lights:
DSC_0823.jpg

HKJ, I've been away from the board for awhile and forgot all about your excellent review. It's really a marvelous resource. I remember the Cuty because I was always eyeing it when on Lighthound's site, but never pulled the trigger on it, or its big brother.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CR2-Based LED Lights - Flashoholic Recommended

Great recommendations, thanks all - I've updated the OP with all of them. Any others that should get consideration?

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good stuff and love CR2 lights!

HKJ

Flashaholic

Great recommendations, thanks all - I've updated the OP with all of them. Any others that should get consideration?

SureFire has two Titan models, the first one in titanium that uses CR2 batteries and the new T1A in aluminum, that uses CR123 batteries.

carrot

Flashaholic

The TITAN T1 is the CR2 model... also the Ion is actually usually known as the CR2 Ion, not just Ion.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is so interesting on the price,from the link it looks like it is still $52.Am I missing something??????

This is still the same price of three years ago. Meanwhile prices have somewhat escalated and as you know today for the same amount of money Nitecore does not give you a fully programmable light that includes even an ODP circuit but just a light with a rather basic switching system. And so do others.

It is true that you also get an 'older' LED but IMHO in these EDC pocket lights pure performance is not as important as in large throwers. You don't use these lights to stun your friends but just to find the car keys you have dropped in a dark parking lot. :)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

The KI (Katokichi Ichishiki) CR2 lights are still among the best looking lights ever made. ARC mania has provided upgraded driver/LED/reflector modules for quite a few of them, so keeping them current is not a problem.