Collins Flashlight

Larry1582

Enlightened
Is anybody familiar with a Collins No Battery Flashlight. It is showing a PAT date of Sept 9, 1924. You twist the barrel a few times, flip the switch, and it spins a generator inside that lights the bulb. It looks like a copper finish. I picked it up at a garage sale this morning. It works, but it needs a new glass lens. There is a picture of it on my web site.

Larry

Kirk

Enlightened
Larry,
You've found a good one! Check out Stuart Schneider's book, "Collecting Flashlights, with Value Guide". He's got some history and a cutaway drawing of the insides. Admiral Byrd and Teddy Roosevelt used them on their expeditions so they must be pretty tough and reliable. He claims most examples of this light have most of the paint missing, but yours is in real good shape. Possibly re-painted? One sold on eBay February 2002 for $67.00 and the seller claimed it ran for 2-3 minutes per winding. How long does yours run? I keep looking for one to buy. Oh well, some day!
Kirk

Larry1582

Enlightened
No this one does not look to have been painted. It looks original. The lens is cracked and there is a pretty good dent on one side of the lens ring. Evidently someone dropped it at some point. The thing is heavy. I did not have any time to really test (play) with it before going to work. It did seem to run for a pretty good bit with a few turns of the barrel. I bought it for $10 at the garage sale. The lady said that it belonged to her 80 something year old father who had passed away. I had never seen one anywhere on the internet before. I guess I need to get a copy of the book.

Thanks for the information Kirk!

Larry1582

Enlightened
Kirk,

Well I have been cleaning on the light the best I can without taking it all the way apart. I was afraid I might not be able to get it back together right.

I ran it a couple of times and it ran for about a minute and a half each time. I did not want to crank the spring up too much and take a chance on breaking it as old as it is. I will have to get a new glass lens made for it.

It has an unusual bulb in it. It has a round globe, but it is not a screw in bulb and it is not a PR. It has a slot in the metal base that a clamp slides through holding it in the reflector along with a spring. It also has a clip to hold a spare bulb, but there was not a spare in this one.

It is definitely the neatest old light I have found. (Actually the wifey picked it up off of the table before I did.)

Larry

Kirk

Enlightened
Larry,
If there is any # on the bulb, Topbulb.com may have a spare. Or you could check out their "Lamp ID" page. Do you think you could rig a screw base lamp by using the clip on the threads or is the diameter too different? Any idea what voltage the generator puts out "under load'? I don't blame you for not winding it too tight. It would be a bummer to break something that old and that rare. Take good care of it!
Kirk

Larry1582

Enlightened
The bulb says 2.6 V and that is it. I have tried a picture. The bulb works, but it would be nice to put the spare back in there.

bulb2.jpg

Larry

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that one gets known as "Miniature Groove based" sometimes. Midget Groove lamps are still used today (5mm diameter like the little screw-in xmas light bulbs of the 50s-70s) in indistrual machinery indicator lamps, though obviously their use is declining in favor of vibration resistant and longer lived LEDs. Havn`t seen a Miniature Groove lamp in a dog`s age, and I`m afraid I couldn`t really help you find one. http://topbulb.com might be some use....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought a load of stuff from the estate of a silent key who collected old radios and tubes.i have a 3lb coffee can of misc bulbs many of them are from old flashlights.i will have a look.
btw does that bulb have a tipoff?
folks think i am nuts for collecting old tube stuff but it looks like you have me beat.
looks like you have a flashlight for every day of the year!

Larry1582

Enlightened
I may be showing my lack of electronic experience here. What is a tipoff? Is that the plastic piece in a lot of flashlights that contains a contact and holds the bulb in the reflector?

On this light there is a flat metal clip that slides into the groves on the bulb for one contact. There is a spring that goes around the base of the bulb between the reflector and the clip. The tip of the bulb pushes up against a metal strip when installed in the light for the other contact. I am going out of town for a few days, but I will try to remember to post a picture of the bulb mounted in the reflector when I get back. If you find a bulb please let me know what you want for it. Thanks!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
very old bulbs were sealed from the top.this is seen as a point on the top.
the picture wasnt clear enough to tell.

Larry1582

Enlightened
This bulb is not sealed on the top. Did you happen to find a similiar bulb? I have not gotten a response from the email to Topbulb.

Hey guys I got an interesting email about the Collins flashlight:

Larry,

My name is Brent Watts and I am a reporter from WDBJ-7 Television in
Roanoke, Virginia.
We are doing a story on the history of Collinsville Virginia and have found
that the area acquired its name from C.B. Collins. Collins came to the area
in 1930's to built a flashlight company (the flashlight required no
batteries) and attempted to create a community. He stayed here, had a home
and made flashlights for about 10years. After the end of WWII he started
losing money and not long after just vanished. No one that live there really
knows anything about him. It's almost as if he never exhausted. We have
photos of his factory and some of the stock bonds that people invested in.
What we don't have a lot of info about is the flashlight itself.

I looked on your webpage and you have a photo of what I think is the Collins
light. Is it the one with the copper finish has the gateway mousepad in the
background. If so, would you give us permission to use the photo in our
story showing what the light looked like. I would imagine that you have a
very valuable item.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Larry.

--Brent Watts
Feature Reporter
WDBJ-7 Television
540-985-3615

Permission was given along with the additional information obtained about the flashlight from some of you.

Thanks
Larry
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have not gotten a chance to lok.
btw if the original dies we can rebase something similar.
that is reuse the base from a dead one.
you might want to measure voltage and current while it is still good for future reference.
cool about the tv guy.

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened

Larry1582

Enlightened
I sent TopBulb an email and got no response at all from them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The bulb does not have any other numbers or letters other than the voltage.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Larry I just looked at your webpage. If I'd have known you had so many dang lights I woulda KEPT your 7-cell Kel!!!

Larry1582

Enlightened
Well that's not very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(And it was a 12 C cell not 7 C /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

DaveB

Newly Enlightened
I have a Collins Flashlight that was my grandfather's. It runs for about ten minutes on one full winding, but, because there is a little rust on the mainspring, I have to tap it against the palm of my hand when it stops before it has completely run down. I remember my grandfather disassambling it in about 1960, and re-winding the coil. (He was an electronics engineer at Westinghouse from 1919 to his retirement in 1963.) He told me that the mainspring is very nearlty the same as one in a thirty hour clock, but that he was never able to find an exact replacement, and didn't have the time or inclination to grind one down that was too wide.

My flashlight was painted red, and still has most of the paint, but, like Larry's, was dropped at some point in its life. I keep thinking I ought to straighten the ring, and get a new, uncracked glass for it, but, like lots of things, that is another project for retirement. LOL At any rate - I stumbled onto this site because last weekend my only bulb for the thiing finally died. So I was surfiung, looking for a 3/8" groove mount 2.6 (or so) Volt incandescant bulb. I think I may have found a source in Ken's Electronics, but he has a minimum order of 5 bucks, so I am gonna hold off and check to see what radio tubes I need to fill out my order.