Best UV light?

Narski18

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a good UV flashlight, don't care about size or battery type or price...

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reading lots of good reviews for this one:
dx10709

Or you could buy a UV drop in (i think is the same as the above)
dx16694

Or this cheappy 3xAAA
dx1300

As far as i know UV lights are not being made by quality brands because they are specialty flashlights.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnF

Enlightened
You can get a UV for a few bucks (>400nm wavelength), but the emitter cost alone for the Nichia 365mn is $100 or so. Cree has higher power UV emitters than the Nichias, but are 395nm, which should work just fine for most applications. Nailbender has these available for P60 drop in's, as well as the Nichia's.

So, a premier setup would be the Nichia UV P60 drop in from nailbender ($130?) + a decent quality host like a Solarforce for $30.

I use the nailbender drop in with a LM (single RCR123 battery), and as far as LED UV goes, it is terrific.

John F

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
another question would be what kind of wavelength are you looking at, as there's many specific ones for specific applications..

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Inova X5 UV is my favorite. I even use it to cure Norland 61.
Well worth the cash.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
for the best UV light that i know of would be the one offered by CPF own master: McGizmo 365nm light offering

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/246840

you can get the cheapest one at $300 which would be the EN Mule UV, a light without any reflector or focusing optics.
If you like some kind of collimation, you can opt for the Haiku or XR-U UV at around $500

Cheers

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're talking quality and dependability, can't go wrong with a light from Peak LED Solutions...you can choose between many different battery choices, different metals (HA aluminum, Stainless, or even brass), as well as choice of the number of emitters (1 - 7).

jblackwood

Enlightened
Depends on what you want to use it for. At $40, you can't go wrong with an Arc-UV if all you're doing is curing Norland or seeing how badly the housekeeping staff cleaned the room. If you want more room sweeping power, I imagine McGizmo's offerings will be better suited (sundrop XR-U head for wider flood, Haiku for more distance). I don't own those, though, so I can't comment, but MAN does that Arc work well for Norland.

oronocova

Enlightened
I bought a Gerber "Bouncer" from Smokey Mountain Knife Works. It's not showing on their website but it might be worth calling them as it was only 10 bucks and they list for 30ish online. Runs on 2xAAs appears to have 2 of one wavelength and 2 of another (unsure of what wavelengths.) Not a room sweeper but puts out quite a bit of light. Lights up marks on my currency and IDs.