• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired withdrawn

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
:UPDATE:
Idle hands are the devil's playthings... I installed a narrow collimator optic in the TrustFire to see what it looked like with the MC-E and in doing so, killed the dome on the MC-E. I've since removed the MC-E altogether and converted the light into a thrower using a de-domed XR-E and and SMO reflector. Now, only the Ugly Duckling will be for sale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For sale: one-of-a-kind, used, MC-E "keychain" light.

$45. Shipping to US included in price. International shipping charge will be actual cost. PayPal to techjunkie at iname dot com.

This is a 1xCR123A light that I modded with an MC-E k-bin WC tint emitter, and 5-mode PWM-only drivers with memory. Mode sequence is low-mid-high-strobe-SOS with return to last mode on next use. High is 100% and other modes are PWM dimming, with low ~10% and mid ~50% (based on tailcap measurements).

It took a lot of experimentation to get the electrical path improved to handle the current draw and eliminate flicker. For example, the threads are no longer relied upon for weak electrical contact - the tailcap has been shortened so the battery tube end makes flush contact with the tail switch retaining ring.

An AW IMR16340 cell is absolutely required to run this. It is not safe for you or your cells to use conventional Li-Ion RCR123A cells as current draw is > 2.6A on high on a full charge.

It took a bit of work to optimize the focus in this tiny reflector (mostly filing and reaming). As usual when putting a giant emitter in a tiny reflector, this casts a floody beam, but there is definitley a discernable, large hotspot. Under the right conditions, at the right distance, you can make out the plus sign in it from the quad dies, but not always. Only a flashaholic looking for it can find it. For actual beam appearance in typical use, refer to the beamshots and video at the link to the build thread below.

To become the Ugly Duckling, UltraFire EMR-1 had its anodizing removed with a wire wheel. It is now raw metal and has obvious wear on the body and crenellations (although additional nicks and scratches aren't nearly as obvious with no anodizing). It has also had it's pocket clip removed and replaced with a gasket, and the holes left behind and the original keyring hole are filled with glow powder and epoxy. It has a GITD switch cover and has had a split-ring installed through two holes to improve tailstanding.

More pics, information and YouTube video link of the TrustFire in action available at the build thread. (YouTube video link in post #3 and beamshots in post #8.) The Ultrafire for sale here is very similar to the Trustfire it is compared with, the main difference being the smaller body and larger head vs. the TrustFire which i uniform in diameter throughout.

TheUglyDuckling.jpg

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Re: Withdrawn for now

:UPDATE:
Idle hands are the devil's playthings... I installed a narrow collimator optic in the TrustFire to see what it looked like with the MC-E and in doing so, killed the dome on the MC-E. I've since removed the MC-E altogether and converted the light into a thrower using a de-domed XR-E and and SMO reflector. Now, only the Ugly Duckling will be for sale.

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Re: FS: MC-E keychain light (IMR16340)

The Ugly Duckling is up for sale again. Price now lowered to $45 shipped in the US. (International extra)

Some more info about the Ugly Duckling:

Dimensions:
Length 79mm
Width (Head) 24mm
Width (Body) 21mm

Head is permanently affixed to body, and lens to head. Only tail switch and switch cover are user-serviceable.