M20 Ti - Change reflector?!

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
How do i change the reflector? I can see that the SMO reflector got threading, so i would imagine the OP got that aswell, but.. I cant get it unscrewed !

This is how ive tried to remove the reflector: Unscrewed the head and then tried to unscrew the reflector - but no luck.

So.. what do i do? :huh:

BurkStar

Newly Enlightened
Remove the bezel and the lens. Put the top of the reflector against the palm of your hand then twist the flashlight counterclockwise. Be careful to not touch the inside of your reflector.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, have not tried to change mine yet. Perhaps some locktite was used.

Be patient and firm with that kid. May even try warming it up a bit.

I actually tried that! I turned it on for some time - letting it get warm. Didnt help :)

Remove the bezel and the lens. Put the top of the reflector against the palm of your hand then twist the flashlight counterclockwise. Be careful to not touch the inside of your reflector.

Tried that too - the flashlight just turns. If it had been some $10 light, i would just have used a plier - but that aint gonna happend here :D

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
If I recall correctly, the standard M20 had a removeable reflector. The M20 Ti, however, is loc-tited in place. Whether or not you'd like to take the chance of forcing it off is your choice.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
Ive noticed that the driver-board is a bit loose.. Could this be the reason why i cant get it unscrewed?

At this moment, im unable to switch modes. When i loosen the head, it turns off. When i tighten the head again, it turns on the exact same mode.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know EXACTLY what is wrong as I'm facing the same issue right now. There is a retainer ring behind the reflector that is supposed to hold the pill tight to the base of the head thus allowing you to unscrew the reflector from the pill.

That ring has now come loose allowing you to turn the reflector WITH the pill and thus it just keeps turning and you are unable to loosen it.

The only way to solve the issue is to use a plier to grab the spring (as that's really the only thing you can grab on that end to keep the pill from spinning) and then VERY gently work at loosening the reflector.

There is always the risk of breaking off the spring as it's soldered in place so if you are not comfortable with doing this, I suggest you contact the place you purchased it from for help.

I'm in the process of loosening mine right now and will post some pics later.

Also, the light not changing levels is directly related to this loose pill issue.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had suggested grabbing the spring with a plier but given that it looks too fragile I decided against it. Instead I found a washer that was just slightly smaller than the diameter of the base and used it as a wedge of sorts to create friction between the pill and the battery tube. The idea here is that the tube (EDIT: WITHOUT a battery installed in case it might short) when tightened to the base of the head will trap the pill with the washer and thus hold it in place so that you can unscrew the reflector:
4383968986_bf4c173f5c.jpg

Voila, now that the reflector is off, here is that retaining ring I was speaking of:
4383208371_6c0c97479c.jpg

Now use a needle nose plier make sure that this is tightened down completely against the pill and try hand twisitng the pill to make sure it is indeed tight.

Good luck removing yours.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

jahxman

Enlightened
Sounds like you got the solution.

Mine turns easily, and my retaining ring is not loose, so this must be the issue.

PropstotheGast

Newly Enlightened
I had suggested grabbing the spring with a plier but given that it looks too fragile I decided against it. Instead I found a washer that was just slightly smaller than the diameter of the base and used it as a wedge of sorts to create friction between the pill and the battery tube. The idea here is that the tube (EDIT: WITHOUT a battery installed in case it might short) when tightened to the base of the head will trap the pill with the washer and thus hold it in place so that you can unscrew the reflector:
4383968986_bf4c173f5c.jpg

Voila, now that the reflector is off, here is that retaining ring I was speaking of:
4383208371_6c0c97479c.jpg

Now use a needle nose plier make sure that this is tightened down completely against the pill and try hand twisitng the pill to make sure it is indeed tight.

Good luck removing yours.

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks for this explanation, it fixed problems I have been having with a couple of Olights.

I was able to brace the pill by jamming the ring from a key tag that was slightly larger in diameter than the threaded housing down into the housing far enough that when braced with my finger tip it created friction and allowed me to remove the reflector.

Also I was told by an Olight rep not to use rubbing alcohol to clean the threads as it might damage the micro chips.

Thanks again.