Five most important features of a pocket flashlight?

speedsix

Enlightened
What are the five most important features you look for before you buy a pocket sized compact flashlight? Some people need or want features that others consider optional or useless but I have a feeling that some features will be pretty universal.

This only applies to small, compact pocket lights the size of a Surefire 6P or smaller. Something you can EDC or carry in a coat or pants pocket. Not talking about full sized duty lights or key chain lights. Basically talking about single or double AAA, AA, CR-123 lights.

Here are my five most needed features in a pocket light. Not in any particular order.

1. Pocket clip. As important on a light as a pocket knife to me. I won't buy a knife without a clip and I would prefer it if clips were standard on lights as well.

2. LED. Kind of goes without saying but it must be a LED. The durability, runtime and longevity can not be matched by incandescents.

3. Must run on standard AAA or AAs. I have moved away from oddball batteries and now want to stick to batteries I can find anywhere.

4. One hand easy operation. This often means a clicky switch not a twisty. I am not going to use two hands to operate a light anymore than I am going to go back to using two hands to open a pocket knife. I am not going backwards when there are better ways.

5. Cost. With LEDs being so good and so inexpensive, there is really no good reason to spend big bucks on a pocket light. There was a day when you had to spend $100 on a Surefire to get a good light but with the new LEDs, there are better lights for far less money now. I use my lights and they are subject to being lost, stolen and damaged so dropping large sums of cash doesn't make sense when I can get 90% of the same performance at 30% of the price.

There are some features that I strongly like but they won't keep me from buying an otherwise good light. I like the ability to change from flood to throw and I like having at least two modes for when you want a dimmer light. I also like forward clicky, waterproof and the ability to tailstand but those features are just nice and not essential.

carrot

Flashaholic
Only 1, 2, 4 apply to me.

Besides that, for me, an EDC must run on CR123 (none of this low power business for me) and it must also be waterproof so I don't have to worry about it in the rain, etc.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
1. simple U.I that i like. (ramp up, with low low. without blinkers or they are hidden away.. ref. quark mini) could be programmable too as that offers almost same features. no more than 4 modes at a time.

2. pocket clip. (bezel down, preferably removable too.. and DEEP carry) heck most of my edcs are hanginby lanyard but i like them to have a clip too.. just for anti roll if not anything else.

3. tint (i prefer neutrals or high cri) and as bonus nice smooth beam.

4. good regulation and runtime.

5. also the price/cost. must be cheap enough so you can fearlessly ULBAR it. Use, Loose, Break AND Replace it, with ease. if something terminal happens to it you should be able to buy it or similar without breaking your bank ..in about months time (paycheck or two) .. which is why most of my lights are under 70dollars.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

5. also the price/cost. must be cheap enough so you can fearlessly ULBAR it. Use, Loose, Break AND Replace it, with ease. if something terminal happens to it you should be able to buy it or similar without breaking your bank ..in about months time (paycheck or two) .. which is why most of my lights are under 70dollars.

THAT doesn't really help me from getting another McGizmo light:eek: By that theory I should have more than one:poke:
;)

now should I post a WTB for a ti pd-s mizer:sssh:

carrot

Flashaholic
THAT doesn't really help me from getting another McGizmo light:eek: By that theory I should have more than one:poke:
;)

now should I post a WTB for a ti pd-s mizer:sssh:
I have one... but you can't have it. It's MINE. I wish you good luck finding one though, the Ti PD-S Mizer is one of the best...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Besides that, for me, an EDC must run on CR123 (none of this low power business for me) and it must also be waterproof so I don't have to worry about it in the rain, etc.

+1 on the above, even though i live in a country where CR123s are expensive, it doesnt mean they are unavailable. Having a good stock of RCR123s at home and usually 2 loads of spares with me, i am especially happy with my Nitecore EX10 GDP as my EDC.

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) I agree, the LED should not turn on while in my pocket.
2) I want an SOS or strobe on it, for some reason that brings me peace of mind.
3) Some kind of retractable strike bezel would be ideal, that way it wouldn't cut my slacks when in the pocket.
4) CR123 or AA batteries would be fine.
5) Trits, trits and more trits, plus a glow ring.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Pocketable. Amazing how big lights gets recommended when asked for a pocket light.

2) Reasonable runtime on HIGH. A month on moonlight mode is meaningless as my natural instinct would be to turn the light on high if a blackout occurs.

3) Must run on AA or AAA.

5) Simple UI.

5) Cost. So I won't cry too much if I lost it. Outside DX/KD/QCG the low end is still USD$40-50.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wish for a light is as the OP only extra I do like on any light I buy is that it is fitted or can be fitted with a small split ring so I can wear it around my neck when the need arises.

I like to pay no more than about £25 per light as that power level (100 to 200 lumens max) is enough for my needs at the moment and I have a decent choice at this level of cost plus I can buy more on a whim rather than a need.

I get as much enjoyment with using a cheap little budget light as I do with my more expensive budget lights.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
One, two and four plus >165 lumens.

Surefire E2DL times 2 (back up duty lights), Surefire LX2 (lives in personal car), Pelican 7060 (primary duty light) and 8060 (collects dust), Stinger and Polystinger C4 (both collect dust).

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
1. Simple U.I. (only 2-3 modes and either no strobes or hidden)
2. Ability to turn on in low mode or high mode through mode memory, selector ring or bezel twist
3. Pocket clip (preferably a low profile wire clip)
4. Ability to tailstand
5. Ability to run on Li-Ion's

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a pocket light, I prefer variable output.

My D10 does that for me, has a pocket clip, runs on AA Eneloops, waterproof and works well. It is not as small as my keychain light, won't overpower my 2AA lights and does not do it all. However, it can do what all my lights do but not as well as far as output or size is concerned.

The perfect pocket light can be a backup for all your other lights--that is my requirements.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) LED
2) Will work with primary and NiMh AA or AAA batteries.
3) Several modes that do not include strobe. If it has strobe, access must not be part of standard mode selection.
4) Twisty. Clicky switches can fail or turn on in pocket. Twisty lights are also generally shorter.
5) Be affordable and easily replaced if lost, stolen, etc.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The SF-E2L outdoorsman the perfect EDC for my needs (so I'll just describe its strengths).

1-Simple 2 mode operation
2-Long run times on Hi
3-Perfect brightness levels for my needs, 3/110L. Surefire rates it at 60L, but they missed the mark by almost 50%. Bigchelis measured my light at 110, and its tightly regulated too so it does not drop at all.
4-Efficient, the E2L generates NO HEAT. In Bigchelis' sphere output remained flat at 110L.
5-Small body tube diameter. I recently discovered this to be a HUGE factor for belt-holster EDC comfort. It disappears on my belt.
6-Shirt clip. This is very important for me not only to secure it on my body but to also prevent the light from rolling around on an uneven surface.
7-Plenty of aggressive knurl. This important, especially with small lights to keep them planted in my hand.
8-Lifetime warranty and replacement parts. I would expect nothing less from a light in this price range.
9-Runs great from primaries as well as RCR123. I think 17670 works too, but I haven't tried yet.
10-LOTC
dscn2381.jpg

The Eagletac P100C2 also is a great EDC for a lot of the same reasons as the E2L. Knurl, small tube diameter, efficiency and regulation, various cell types...etc... It doesn't have an anti-roll feature and I would not expect the ET warranty to be as "good" as Surefire, so its a small notch down from the E2L in those areas. BUT its only $35, so I think it represents a FAR better $$ value over the E2L.
dscn2382.jpg

I also like the solarforce L2M. There are dozens of threads already for this little Gem. At $15 (Lighthound) its a no-brainer Malkoff host.
dscn2383d.jpg

dscn2386p.jpg

None of these lights have aggressive strike bezels or grip rings to bulk them down.
dscn2384x.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Let's see.

1- 1 AAA size is my favorite. I have made an exception for the Mini 123.

2- Low level should be very low and come up first.

3- High level about the same or greater than Maratac AAA or LF2XT.

4- Lanyard attachment point. A clip is nice, but not required.

5- Programming. Not a deal breaker, but it sure is nice.

Geoff

space-time

Newly Enlightened
In no particular order...

1. Small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, but heavy enough to weight the key chain so I don't rake it out on the ground accidentally when taking things out of my pocket.

2. Not turn on in my pocket. Bad light does that! :tsk:

3. Be tough enough to withstand being on a chain with keys and other metal things in the pocket, including a sturdy attachment point.

4. Have a low that is low enough to work in a dark room, a medium that is useful during the daylight, and a bright that is high enough to find glass pieces on a white rug.

5. Be able to run on primary cells that I may be able to find in a local store somewhere, in addition to rechargeables.

GregY

Newly Enlightened

Huh. How about a AA light that'll take 14500's? Functionally identical to RCR123's, and the AA form factor gives you some versatility.

As for my own 5 preferences, I'm pretty much with space-time.

carrot

Flashaholic
Huh. How about a AA light that'll take 14500's? Functionally identical to RCR123's, and the AA form factor gives you some versatility.

As for my own 5 preferences, I'm pretty much with space-time.
But I don't use RCR often, and 123 is still smaller.

Latest posts