Moon mode in new Zebralight H50b/H501?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
When will we see this lower moon mode or the new UI from the new Zebralight handheld flashlights in newer updated versions of the H50/H501? Answer from Zebralight would be great, thanks.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised no one responded to this. With all the rave and hype when the Quark series came out with moon mode I'd figure I'd get some response. Clearly I'm not the only one that appreciates moon mode.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Zebralight. Any timeline of when this may be implemented? By the end of 2010 or early 2011?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's about time. The H501 has been around for about a year now. Some kind of update is needed. I might get a H501w with the updated UI.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
cool!

but damn i jumped the gun obviously..

i ordered h501w while ago .took me months of pondering if i really need it and all the time i did want one.. then i tried my best to wait if they update it the same time they put out the sc30 and sc50 lights.. but as they came and no word about changing the ui in the headlamps i went ahead and ordered myself new one. now i could of waited a month for newer model with lower low if i knew it was happenin.. oh well.. i bet the h501w will do just fine anyways as is.

and the new sc50w is in my want list.. along with the side by side light prototype.

Zendude

Enlightened
Ummm...not so exited about moon mode with a floody. 2lm flood seems about as useful as 0.2lm with a reflector. Yes, I'm generalizing but I think there is such a thing as too low.:rolleyes:

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
Ummm...not so exited about moon mode with a floody. 2lm flood seems about as useful as 0.2lm with a reflector. Yes, I'm generalizing but I think there is such a thing as too low.:rolleyes:

Dude, I'm with you. I think simplicity rules. Strobe is a curse.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's there for those who need it. It's out of the way and can not be activated by accident. It should not bother anyone.

How hard is it to understand that?

Cemoi

Enlightened
i could of waited a month for newer model with lower low if i knew it was happenin.. oh well..

If you prefer to order the new UI and want to sell your "old UI H501w", PM me. I'm in Europe too so the shipping cost should not be too high.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
2lm can actually still be usable.
My first proper homebuilt caving lights had spot and flood LEDs, and used early ~20lm/W luxeons at 1/0.3/0.08W per LED, so the low power was about 2 lumens.
Without having anyone else around to spoil my night vision, the naked flood LED on low was perfectly adequate for moving around at normal pace in narrow-ish walking passages and doing ropework, in caves of fairly white rock.

If it wasn't for the control complexity involved that probably only I would end up using, I'd be tempted to stick an ultralow power mode in the next iteration of lights, now LED efficiencies are >5x higher than the first generation.
In fact, having thought about it, I might do that anyway, just as a one-off for me.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Getting closer to the release of the updated H501 with moon mode!!! Zendude, there is no such thing as too low. I find great use for my PALlight on GLOW mode which is much dimmer than any moon mode I have ever seen.

chenko

Enlightened
Although some people don't feel the need for a very-low mode in a flood headlamp, I wish my H501w had a lower low or a fourth brightness level lower than the regular low: for close work or reading it would help preserve night vision. I experimented a bit and I believe that would help. I can't wait for the H51w to come out, I already have the H501w and find it awesome.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... Zendude, there is no such thing as too low. I find great use for my PALlight on GLOW mode which is much dimmer than any moon mode I have ever seen.
+1 for the PALlight in glow mode. Extreamly low & very useful. When I got it years ago, I figured that many LED lights would have that feature in the future. Was I wrong on that. It's only now that having a low-low [which is still way brighter than the glow mode] is becoming popular on some models.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the PALlight in glow mode. Extreamly low & very useful. When I got it years ago, I figured that many LED lights would have that feature in the future. Was I wrong on that. It's only now that having a low-low [which is still way brighter than the glow mode] is becoming popular on some models.

right and seeing how popular the moon mode from the original Quark series was/is, you'd think EVERY manufacturer would capitalize on this. I just don't get it. :shakehead

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
right and seeing how popular the moon mode from the original Quark series was/is, you'd think EVERY manufacturer would capitalize on this. I just don't get it. :shakehead

because not EVERY customer wants a moon mode, so not EVERY manufacturer will produce one.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
because not EVERY customer wants a moon mode, so not EVERY manufacturer will produce one.

If given the choice they WOULD. I think people (the general non-flashaholics) have no idea about stuff like this, they turn the light on and that's all they expect is for light to come on. Having said that, if they knew a moon mode could save them money on batteries (they're probably the same people who aren't aware of NiMH rechargeable batteries) since the super low output would extend the life of the batteries, they'd wish all flashlights had this feature. If manufacturers were SMART, they'd want to EDUCATE the non-flashoholics about the money they'd SAVE with this super low output mode that would save them money and could be promoted as a eco-green initiative in that if the consumer used the flashlight exclusively in this super low mode by the time the battery dies, if they used it on full power they would have went through 20 battery changes. Do the math, it makes sense that even the non-flashaholic would take hold of.

Latest posts