LS 123 Twist pack doesn't twist far enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

georget98

Enlightened
LS 123 Twist pack doesn\'t twist far enough.

I bought a twist switch 123 pack for my LSH-S on ebay and if I screw it in all the way, the light doesn't come on. You can hear the battery shaking around in there. Are there different models or is mine missing a spring or something? I dropped a small washer down inside and it works, but I don't think that's the way it should be.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LS 123 Twist pack doesn\'t twist far enough.

That's why Arc doesn't make them anymore, because they don't work will all brand batteries. They are all machined a bit different. I've had some that work and some that didn't on my particular LS's. It's hit and miss. Again, that's why they are not made anymore, and are not recommended.

Having said all that, you have gotten it to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Georget98......

I have a 123 twistie from a grey kit, it is the same as yours. It doesnt screw down far enough to make contact with the batt.

There is a simple fix for this,,, but you wont like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Make a small wad of aluminum foil and place it in the bottom of the twistie.
Foam rings should be made to go it the Arc head itself... this prevents the batt from rattling when the light is not on.
{748CAB8C-B3A5-4445-9586-86300B1B1347}lg.jpg

{AC59D999-1874-4B3A-B7CC-3C24571A2680}lg.jpg

{829A9D00-D9C0-482E-8C61-70AFD0A970CF}lg.jpg

georget98

Enlightened

Thanks, that first picture says it all. I guess being not defective I can give positive feedback and move on.

I tried a couple different 123's and it doesn't work with the Duracell that came with the light, nor a Surefire 123, but it does work with a cell from an Energizer 223. I like the push switch but I also like the more compact size with the twisty. I'll just have to buy another LS so I can have both switches available at once...

jtice

Flashaholic

I use Duracells also,
The foil fixed it real well though, makes great contact, and the foam keeps the batts tight at all times.

I HATED putting foil in a $125 light,,, but oh well.
My 123 clickie, HA'ed 123 twistie, and 2AA twistie work just fine without foil.

I also like the 123 twistie for its small size. I EDC the LS with the 123 twistie.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got my 2AA twistie to work with a stretched mini-mag spring. But the spring doesn't work well in the 123 twist packs. If you go through enough twist packs, you will find some that work well. Otherwise, the foil trick works best.

Mednanu

Enlightened

I've found a 'high-tech' alternative to foil that might be a little less painful or embarrassing to use on a $125 flashlight - Magnets. I used them to make battery 'nipples' for flat top cells so that I could use them in devices designed for standard 'nippled' batteries, but you can just as easily place them on the bottom of the battery in order to allow them to work with taller twist packs too. This prevents you from having to machine the twist pack down to the proper size and then having to mess with re-threading the pack (and possibly screwing up the threads and pack in the process). Click here to access my previous post on the subject - a link with the necessary size #'s are included in order to navigate to the site which sells these magnets.

I'm confident that this will resolve your dilema and allow you to use the smaller twist packs with your ARC. Keep in mind that the size numbers that I had listed in the linked post are for nipples rather than spacers, so you may need to do some quick measurements and select different sized magnets for your spacer needs. The site also gives the dimensions to each magnet so it's easy to find just the right size for your application........and they're also a lot of fun and very useful for other chores as well.

jtice

Flashaholic

Correct me if wrong,, but,,,,,
Isnt it a bad idea to put magnets near batts, batts have their own electromagnetic field, and that might create heat.

Mednanu

Enlightened

Heat is only created when work is being done - placing a static (not moving) magnetic field on a battery won't cause any heat build up. It may affect the ion transfer within the battery in some way, but I haven't noticed any ill effects after hours and hours of usage with these magnets attached in all sorts of configurations. Also, batteries don't have a magnetic field per se. They may develop a weak electromagnetic field while being discharged (as there are charges in motion which produce a weak field during that time), but they don't have a permanent field of any sort. The only way you would produce heat with the magnet is by keeping it in motion near a conductor. The induced currents in the conductor would build up heat while discharging through it's own resistance. Just placing a magnet onto the top or bottom of a battery would (technically) produce a miniscule amount of heat (barely measureable) while the magnet was being stuck to the battery (a charge in motion, once again), but would stop causing any increased thermal and electrical activity once at rest.

The thing that really surprised me was that they didn't affect my ARC's output at all. I thought for sure that they would affect the regulartory circuit by possibly increasing the inductance of the output coil, but I've noticed no ill effects. I've even swung some very strong magnets (strong enough to attract the magnetic ink in dollar bills) past the flashlight while in operation and have notice nary a jiggle in output.

While I wouldn't expect any issues between the battery and the magnet, I did expect some between the ARC circuitry and the magnet, but simply haven't seen any negative influences yet.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

so the problems with the P-123 power packs was merely a tolerance issue? why not standardize it then? the present arc LS also has many variations in the TSP-123 and the head.

jtice

Flashaholic

chamenos.......
I think all the 123 twisties were made for the old rev1 LS's. I think once the new LS came out, they started to have problems with tolerances. Peter wouldnt give exact details... but he pretty much said that sence they were having problams with some configurations, and some batts not wanting to work, that it would be best to just not sell them anymore.

The ones being sold now are the old stock. They dont actually make them any more.

But, I agree, I dont see why a new one could be made for the newest LS heads.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened

If the battery manufacturers would standardize the length of their batteries, this wouldnt be a problem.

Toshiba seem to be the longest, and give the best conection with MY twist pack, but even toshiba has significant length differences from lot to lot. Duracells were hit or miss. Energizer and surefire were nowhere near long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.