Good AA flashlight for EMT/Resque for about 50$?

TheMediocrePirate

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am currently working as an EMT. I have found the need for a light that's a little more powerful than my penlight or my little Gerber Infinity. I have been looking around the net but i am completely confused. I will buy a used light if someone is selling...

here are some things i am looking for:
*Around 50$ (the less the better)
*LED (don't want to end up buying new bulbs all the time)
*AA/AAA (it looks that the CR123 batteries would be quite expensive to opperate in the longrun)
*As bright as possible 150lm+ (won't be using this to shine in people's eyes) *Good at long distances
*Super durable *economic run cost

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
Fenix TK20 fits nicely into your requirements.
2 brightness settings - 45lm and 150lm
Decent throw
Uses AAs
Durable build quality.

The Preon 2 kit would also replace a pen light nicely.
It's just as bright as the Fenix but doesn't have the range.
Runs on 2 AAAs.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
TK20 + eneloops, rock SOLID setup IMHO.
The LD20 is smaller size and slightly brighter, that might suit you better. But its around $60.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Fenix TK20 if you get some eneloop rechargeables it really becomes economical to run the light.

It is one incredibly tough piece of equipment too.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Fenix TK20 is a strong contender, and also look at 4Sevens Quark AA R2 (offers a slightly higher high, and a much lower low than the Fenix). lovecpf

Toaster

Enlightened
If you don't already have rechargeable AAs, you may want to reconsider going with a li-on powered light instead. The total cost will end up being around the same, but you'll end up with a much more capable light. For example the Eagletac T100C2 costs about the same as the Fenix TK20. But it puts out 220 versus 150 lumens, throws 40% further, and runs nearly 3 hours on hi on versus 1:15 for the TK20. Picking up the T100C2, 2x 18650 rechargeable li-ons, and a charger will cost you around $75-80 after CPF discounts. So it's not such a huge expenditure. And I imagine the 6 hour combined runtime on high with both batteries should have you covered in just about any situation.

jackthedog

Newly Enlightened
The Quark AA^2 R2 Edition from 4Sevens springs to mind as another good value.

bodhran

Enlightened
+1 on the Quark AA2. As a Paramedic, it's my light of choice on duty. Sorry....double post.

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
here are some things i am looking for:
*Around 50$ (the less the better)
*AA/AAA (it looks that the CR123 batteries would be quite expensive to opperate in the longrun)
*As bright as possible 150lm+ (won't be using this to shine in people's eyes) *Good at long distances *Super durable *economic run cost
First off, forget about using Alkaline batteries unless you get them free from work. As others have said, use rechargeables as they are THE best way to power a light and are much cheaper to use in the long run. If you don't have any rechargeables now, consider going with a 123 powered light such as the Quark 123 or 123x2 depending on your preference for length (I find the longer models are easier to hold, especially with gloves). The R2 emitter versions are being replaced with newer R5 emitters, so the R2 models are a little cheaper to buy but are just as good. For your type of work, I would recommend the Tactical model which has two primary modes which can be memorized by the light and you set to your preference for brightness and runtime.

Then you need to look at rechargeable cells. If you go with AA size for compatibility and availability, then look for either Eneloops or Duraloops with a good smart charger (google those terms to find the right models), or use free Alkalines from work if you don't care about the environment.
:devil:
If you go with 123 size, then look for the AW 139 charger and AW RCR123 protected cells. With rechargeables it will cost a bit more upfront, but they will pay for themselves in a few months and from then on it's like free lumens and you don't have to be "chintzy" when you use the light.

Good luck!
:wave:

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Paramedic and use a warm tint Quark AA with Eneloops. It's small size doesn't get in the way and I wear it on my belt the full 24 hours. I have it set on 70 lumens and it is plenty bright. Also, I carry a white Inova Microlight behind my ID badge for checking pupils.