$100 Surefire Dilemna

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I'm considering blowing most of my yearly flashlight budget before the end of February, but I'm getting down to the last couple of lights on my wish list, at least for the time being. And having just missed out recently on a desired light, I want to keep my dithering down to a minimum, since a couple of lights I know I want are there for the taking, at better prices than I've seen before.

With various discounts currently in effect, I find, for $100 - $110, I can pick up one of the following:

1. One C2L; or
2. 1 E1L + 8 CR123 primary cells; or
3. 1 E2E HA Black AND 1 G2 + 8 CR123a batteries

I already have an E1E HA, E1E HA BK, and an E2E SG.

I've been eying the E1L, I think it would make a nice EDC/camping/hiking light. But I just ordered a NovaTac 85T, which may prove to better suit that role, with it's floodier beam, and really low low. I honestly think the E1E is just "cool" though, so I'm still interested.

The E2E in BK is appealing primarily because my E2E in Satin Grey isn't. It's mismatched silver and some ghastly shiny bluish color and is, IMHO, simply ugly. So it's been relegated to 'beater' status (which I know is no way to treat any E-series light, but there it is.) I love the form of the light, and 60 OTF lumens is amply high enough for anything I'd use it for. If I got the second E2E, I think I'd run it with an MN02 lamp for better runtime and use it as an outdoor nighttime walking light.

The G2 of course would just be a P60 host, and with a Malkoff M60L or LF, or LL, would be another good campling/woods light (in combo with an E01 or other low output light), and just a good all around mid-brightness light to have. That would mean another $50 bucks somewhere down the road, of course.

The C2L, again a P60 host, but a very nice one. I'm sure it's quite serviceable with the SF LED, and though I greatly prefer it to the 6P, and think it's a nice light, it doesn't hold the appeal for me of the E2E, or make for an economical host for a Malkoff dropin.

So for you SureFire guys, which do you thnk would be the better deal? I'm still leaning toward the E1L, the E2E/G2 combo does have some appeal. Either would give me anothe E-series light, and I really like these. The E1L I've been thinking about for a couple of years, while the E2E and G2 would give me two lights to play with, and would give me another incan and that P60 host with that wild world of LED dropins to explore.

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing up the E1L too.
It looks like a great light with great battery life.
8 cells would provide you a Loooonnngggg usage of this light.
Fairly tight beam, not sure how floody you want.
The low is nice for not killing your night vision, but is very useable.
The high is a bright 45.
I might just pick mine up tomorrow.:D

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L is a great light. I put on a z68 tailcap (so I could use a lanyard) and an F04 diffuser on it, and it's one of my favorite lights. You won't regret it!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have seen C2s go for ~$55 on ebay. I'd opt for that and a Malkoff or nailbender drop in.

IMHO your incoming Novatac is versatile enough to cover enough grounds in the smaller weight class.