Test the Security of your Internet Connection Here

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I found a website that will test the security of your internet connection and report back vulnerabilites to you. The site is reputable and will not harm your system. It simply tells you if you are secure or not. When I first did the tests I was NOT secure (very scary), but using the advice offered on the site, I made a few changes, then repeated the tests. The retest showed all the vunerabilities were closed, and all tests passed.

Here is the site.

web page

Click the "Test my Shields" button, and when that test is complete click the "Probe my Ports" button.

Phil

Saaby

Flashaholic
Web open (That's fine) and FTP open (It's secured)

I'm using Apache, not Microsofts PWS with Frontpage extensions. Do I need to do anything to secure it?

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my knowledge of network configuration and the upgrade I did on my firewall have definitely paid off (I actually had to drop my security for the web page to load). None of my ports could be scanned and my NetBIOS is shut off. Just the way I like it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby, no you don't. Latest OS update includes all the recent security patches to it, which were not anything that could have given anyone access anyway, so you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you're running a lot of CGI scripts or have messed with other things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yay for ZoneAlarm! As far as those tests are concerned, that big lump of a former supermarket checkout terminal over there is turned off!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The only thing that was open on mine was the Universal plug and play port. Other than that, I dont't exist. Black Ice seems to be working!!

jtice

Flashaholic
I have NO firewalls up, and it said it couldnt connect to my computer at all, so, I guess thats good.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Test the Security of your Internet Connection

Either this system has closed this usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port 139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Just today I aquired a nasty in program files! It threw a shortcut on my desktop, and wouldn't show in add/remove programs. I Googled od-ftsh47 with no results, and checked the search at a number of tech sites- no joy. It is a webdialer(?) and a search for that term listed it in the pest category. It wouldn't let me delete it! I have ZoneAlarm pro and Norton AV. I ran spybot and AdAware and a dated PestPatrol with no luck. I finally was able to delete it. I don't understand computer trojans but I picked it up just surfing.

Larry

star882

Enlightened

"Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet."
I have Windows XP, and that's the results I get.

lhz

Newly Enlightened

Great link!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Your Internet port (number removed) does not appear to exist!
One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet
and:
All my ports come up 'Stealth', so I must be doing something right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I run Win98, with Zonealarm and a built-in firewall on my broadband router.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

My simple NAT firewall seems to stop most probe traffic.
It also helps pass these types of tests.

Well, I guess that IS the point...

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool link!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifIt says I'm very secure. I'll be passing this one around!

K A

Enlightened

GRC's Shields up has been around for a few years now. I remember hitting that site when I first got my cable modem.
Personally I dont think its that great.

There are a few other websites out there that do a bit more than GRC if you really want to check your computer.

Try HackerWatch

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, i got the same message as most of you. The website was unable to reach my computer. I even tried HackerWatch and it says my computer is secure.

All i've done was activate the firewall protection that is built into Windows XP Pro internet connection properties. However, since Windows is the most used and most popular operating system in the world, i wouldn't rely on its firewall too much. Surely, some smart hacker has craked this firewall... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

UK Owl

Enlightened

cool sites.

now I have verified zonealarm is working !

Kiessling

Flashaholic

wow !!
great link, thanx a lot!
bernhard - embedded in his castle-like-computer