Is the EZAA and Expensive Fenix E01?

carl8190

Banned
I want to get a better edc because im currently using a Fenix E01 which I find is slightly to low for my uses. I think the Nitecore D10 will be to big to go on a set of keys but I hear the EZAA low setting is the same as the E01 so is the nitecore EZAA a overpriced E01?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they are completely different types of lights, with the only similar factors being easily available batteries and a small keychain form factor.

The EZAA may cost 3 or 4 times as much as the E01 but it has a high mode that is over 8 times as bright. If you buy an EZAA it won't be so much an upgrade on an E01 as a step towards more tactical flashlights..

carl8190

Banned
Im looking for a good small keychain light with about 20lumens. the EZaa would be perfect but its low is no different than the E01. I wouldnt really use the high on EZaa mainly because the batteries would always be dieing.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if you just want a single stage long running light then the E01 is still the best out there, it uses a Nichia led, which are very efficient, but seriously lack in light output.

If you do go for the EZAA though, then get yourself some eneloop lsd batteries, and a nimh smart charger, they arent that expensive if you order them from the links below, and will last you a long time. Plus you can just pop a battery in the charger every few days when you get home and youll still never have to worry about running out of power when you need it. :thumbsup:

Eneloops: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=105241

Smart charger: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=102894

If i were you then i would get 4 eneloops, that charger and an EZAA, if you do i'm pretty sure you wont regret it. I just wish i'd been around to tell myself this a couple of months ago..

carl8190

Banned
Yeh good point thanks for that! I guess the E01 is a hard one to beat especially for the price. I love the D10 but I owned one once and found that it would drain a battery in a day even when not used :S I would put a fresh battery in and the next day it would be flat even if it left it on a shelf and when I did use it on high the battery would be dead in 40 mins max! I guess im after a light that is single AA or AAA that runs for long times and the E01 is the only one out there. Single cell torches are just not meant for higher power lights.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm.. i really dont know what the problem was with your D10 there :thinking: what batteries were you using?

One thing that strikes me is that the battery is at least as important as the torch itself when performance comes into it, especially for high power lights. If you ever want to use a high drain light then i would recommend eneloops, and quite frankly wouldnt even use anything else unless i had no choice..

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are after an EDC just a tiny bit smaller than the baby fenix I would opt for the ITP A3 in either single mode or the 3 mode version.Both run on a single AAA cell and can be bought easily for under £20(£13-£15 ish) with postage.

It is a deal breaker light and many of the members own them including myself.If you happen to purchase one pop a piece of shrink wrap on the clip as the clip turns and over time may scratch the body work.

Batteries are cheap as chips these days if you buy from the right source and if you are worried about runtime just pop a spare somewhere handy like 1 of those neat single AAA bottle type gadgets that come in nice colours and can attach to key rings,also good for slipping a rolled up fiver or higher note for some urgent carry cash if you forget to take your wallet etc.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, if you really do want another small and low priced keychain light then take a look at the ITP a3 (upgrade) on shiningbeam's website.

Its similar to the e01, with a long running med mode of about 20 lumens, a low that will run for days, and a high power option if you ever need it as well. Plus it's only about £15 :twothumbs

If you dont like the price of the EZAA, then this is definately the next step up from an E01, with good build quality and a top rate seller.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like someone beat me to it actually.. So +1 on the ITP A3 :thumbsup:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for a good small keychain light with about 20lumens. the EZaa would be perfect but its low is no different than the E01. I wouldnt really use the high on EZaa mainly because the batteries would always be dieing.

well take a look at the peak eiger.you can choose 8 power levels.if you want 20 lumens,it´ll be #2 or #3.
you can choose also the materials (aluminium,brass or ss),and also the type of beam.

take a look at this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230946

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
well take a look at the peak eiger.you can choose 8 power levels.if you want 20 lumens,it´ll be #2 or #3.
you can choose also the materials (aluminium,brass or ss),and also the type of beam.

take a look at this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/230946

+1, there's also their AA El Capitan if you wish to go the AA route. I should also mention that if you're going to use NiMH and want 20ish lumens, you'll want level 5 or 6, 2 and 3 are around that output on 10440's only.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
By the way, if you really do want another small and low priced keychain light then take a look at the ITP a3 (upgrade) on shiningbeam's website.

Its similar to the e01, with a long running med mode of about 20 lumens, a low that will run for days, and a high power option if you ever need it as well. Plus it's only about £15 :twothumbs

If you dont like the price of the EZAA, then this is definately the next step up from an E01, with good build quality and a top rate seller.

x2... solid 75 Lumens OTF, 18L on med and 1.5 on low. I ran mine through the wash and it survived fine. Its an amazing light for the $$$.

Last edited: