Javelin vs Tk20

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been eyeing up the new XP-G Dereelight Javelin for a while now, and it seems very good value for the quality of the light. The one thing stopping me from ordering is the fact i already have a TK20 that i'm very happy with, as these appear to me to be very similar lights in terms of set-up, i'm not sure if it's worth taking the plunge.

Could anyone outline just how much brighter the javelin is in real world terms, and what the differences in beam characteristics will be, e.g. how does the width of the hotspot compare?

Ideally, i'd love some good side to side beamshots, i think thats probably asking a bit much, but a simple comparison would be great..:poke:

Thanks

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own three TK20s and one Javelin. So let me weigh in.

The original Javelin, with an XP-E emitter, already outthrew the TK20 by a small margin; with 3AAs, the Javelin XP-E outthrew a TK20 by a considerable margin.

Outdoors, the TK20's warm beam is almost in a class by itself for fidelity and CRI (color rendering index).

If you like accessories, the TK20 offers a red (orange) traffic wand and a white diffuser cone. Also, the TK20 will accept an M20 (M21?) press-on diffuser. The Javelin offers a 3AA extender and a collimating optic that extends throw ridiculously at the cost of pocketability. Surefire C-series head accessories will fit, with just a bit of wiggle that can be eliminated with a single wrap of electrical tape. Of course, with a Javelin, you can swap out the dropin and try something different. And you also get a great U.S. dealer who stands behind his product, responds quickly, and passes on users' wishes and concerns to the manufacturer.

Now let's talk about the new Javelin drop-in, the Javelin XP-G. It delivers far more output than the first two lights. Many regard it as an ideal combination of throw and flood, though I would prefer more flood. I haven't tried the Javelin XP-G on two NiMH cells. But I've tried it on 3xNiMHs and 2xNiZn cells. The 3xNiMH setup is brighter.

I think of the Javelin XP-G dropin as a poor man's Malkoff M61. With an orange-peel reflector, the beam is flawless. And the 5A tint seems accurate; the beam is pure white: Great for indoors, but (for me) less than ideal for outdoors.

Finally, the TK20's tailcap is easier to press. The TK20's body is easier to hold.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, could you tell me whether the hotspot on the xp-g version of the javelin is noticably wider than the tk20's, and if the spill is any brighter.

Just i'm looking for a light that offers similar throw but a better spill beam than what the tk20 gives me.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Output and beam shape of the Javelin is going to depend completely on the drop in module you decide to use, and how many AA tube segments you lego together. Its a really nice host though, its small and skinny in the hand, but still feels solid and well made. The bezel end is thick enough to provide adequate thermal cooling. My DX:MCE did over 400L OTF initially and settled down to 344L, with 3xTennergy AA cells (see bigchelis' link in my sig).

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
I have 5 Javelins and 1 TK20, some of my favorite lights. Paul summed it up better than I could have.
The spill on the XP-G version of the Javelin using 2 Nimh batteries is definitely brighter it just lights up the night where the TK20 has a nice spot and fair spill. In fact in actual use outside the Javelin XP-G seems to throw usable light just as far as the TK20 because it is so bright. The TK20 looks like it would beat the Javelin for throw shining on a white wall but it doesn't really work out the way outside in my experience.