I.B.S. Erratic Behavior on Jet III Pro ST w/BVC R2

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
I received my Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST yesterday and was pleased to see that it was marked Broad Voltage Circuit and has the R2 emitter. Previously, the BVC was only available with the Q5 (Warm Tint) emitter. The BVC allows the use of both 18650 and CR123 batteries, whereas the original R2 version (Cool Tint) was limited to the 18650 only.

The light is a pleasure in all respects and the claimed 240 lumens are extremely impressive for a light this size. However, using the IBS User Interface is nightmarish. I can manage to program three user defined modes for A, B, C and they will work initially, but then I'll turn the light on and it comes on in a Strobe mode. My user defined modes do not have a strobe mode. Or, I'll turn the light on and instead of coming on in A mode (Highest Output) it comes on in C mode (lowest output). Compounding this erratic behavior is the fact that sometimes the light doesn't come on at all when I depress the tail switch.

Do others have problems with Jetbeam's I.B.S. or do I have a bad unit? I've reset the light to the factory defaults a half dozen times and reset my own program modes, and each time the aforementioned erratic behavior occurs. I presently have it set to the factory defaults and it seems to work reliably, but I don't want those settings.

I really like the size, output, and battery options of this Jet III, and don't know of any other light that compares, but I am open to suggestions about both rectifying this program erraticism and/or a compatible replacement light from another manufacturer.

netprince

Enlightened
I bet you have a poor connection in your clicky switch. I had to replace mine recently with similar operation...

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
I bet you have a poor connection in your clicky switch. I had to replace mine recently with similar operation...

Thanks, I have it working again, but just prior to reprogramming the modes, it wouldn't work on even the factory default. I tried the light on default and instead of A mode, full output, I got a hardly discernible dim beam. I turned it off for half a minute then retried and it came on full output Mode A. Seems the switch is glitchy.

I again programmed A for full output, B for half output, and C for quarter output and so far it is working. Intermittent problems are the worse...

If it glitches again, BugOut is getting an email. Dependability is a reasonable expectation and I believe Jetbeam will stand behind their otherwise exceptional products. We shall see...

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you're waiting long enough between clicks? The Jet-III Pro ST seems to require an inexplicably long delay between "commands".

See this thread for more information.

If you don't wait long enough between button pushes, the light sees them as part of whatever you were last doing and reacts accordingly, which can make it act pretty possessed if you don't realize what's happening.

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure you're waiting long enough between clicks? The Jet-III Pro ST seems to require an inexplicably long delay between "commands".

See this thread for more information.

If you don't wait long enough between button pushes, the light sees them as part of whatever you were last doing and reacts accordingly, which can make it act pretty possessed if you don't realize what's happening.

Thanks, I did see that but didn't connect the longer time duration to the problem I was having. Duh! Very well could have been a contributing factor. It's a sweet package overall, and I think the longer times are a factor. Thanks again.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Thanks, I did see that but didn't connect the longer time duration to the problem I was having. Duh! Very well could have been a contributing factor. It's a sweet package overall, and I think the longer times are a factor. Thanks again.

2Reason,

It doesn't sound like it is acting as it should. Please contact us via email and we will take care of it for you. (sales(at)bugoutgearusa(dot)com

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETbeam USA
888-221-5498

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
2Reason,

It doesn't sound like it is acting as it should. Please contact us via email and we will take care of it for you. (sales(at)bugoutgearusa(dot)com

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com
JETbeam USA
888-221-5498

Many thanks Flavio for your proactive concern. I think I've determined the problem, which was my own negligence. I had not tightened the tail cap completely. After snugging it as tight as it would go, I reprogrammed the IBS modes. I also waited a longer period of time between each step, and the light now seems to be working perfectly.

I'm glad for that because it is a super light, pocketable, great output and beam, and it will run on both 18650s and CR123s. I also bought the RRT-O for my wife, and that is functioning flawlessly. The RRT-O clip seems quite secure, and I'm not experiencing any of the problems with it that others have complained about.

As per your request Flavio, I have sent you an email with similar information, but also thought I should post my findings here for the CPF community. :twothumbs