How to mount LSs inside car?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
With regular LEDs it's easy to mount them by drilling a hole the same size as the led and pushing it through the plastic pieces on the interior of the car. What would be the best way to mount luxeons tho???

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you want to mount them to light the car or for your strobe project? For strobes you might want to use optics or reflector to focus them a bit more.. Not sure how well bare luxeons can be seen from afar.

If you using them for lighting, make sure you have a good heatsink. You'll want them exposed as much as possible to put light out in all directions. And luxeons lens doesn't stick out as far as say a 5mm led. So you'll have to surface mount them rather than behind a plastic panel.... Put em behind a dome light lense perhaps...

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for my strobe project i figure ill be using fraen optics, because they are large in diameter (Same size as 30mm?). But my question was actually about interior lighting. So there's no way to mount them behind the plastic pieces? I want to mount them in "non-factory" locations... maybe ill have to make custom lenses to hide the stars...

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
You can mount them behind the plastic, if the plastic is thin enough. You may need to do a little more work than with 5mm's. Use 2 drill-bits, a large one to make a depression for the black body of the LS and the wires, and a smaller one to finish going through the plastic to expose the LS dome. The idea is to expose the entire dome, while hiding the electrical terminals, right? A dremel with a cutoff wheel can be used to make grooves in the backside of the plastic to better fit the electrical connections.

It might be easier in the long run to use a half-round piece of lexan as a long dome, over an aluminum U-channel, with the LS's epoxied to the aluminam, and hiding the electrical stuff inside the channel.