why hard to get stuff?

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
Have probably spent 6-8 hours this weekend "researching" this forum looking for a thrower to replace my last light (dorc 220 led). why in the world is everything i find of some interest to me sold out - be in replacement leds by malkoff, mods to a maglite, or the latest, the light i am so far most interested in, the Tiable A-9 with the aspherical head? heck, even some batteries i've looked at are sold out? is this normal in the "flashlight world"?

and, if you have a suggestion for a durable thrower feel free to give me some advice! thank you!

Last edited:

flip

Enlightened
Re: why?

I am waiting on a Solarforce Masterpiece PRO-1 head to arrive. Added to a Surefire 6P or compatible body it should make a good thrower.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Matchetman , that is not a useful thread title

Please state some of your question in your title .
So Search can find the purpose and content of your thread.

As it stands ..... it's no more than a child's reply to to life.

Please participate better in our forum with meaningful and valid questions .

Thanks

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

I remember asking, "Why?" a lot

and always got the answer, "Because I said so." :grin2:

why in the world is everything i find of some interest to me sold out

But on a more serious note, it just may be because you have good taste. :shrug:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

There is always a dark side of the moon really.
Matter of fact it's all dark - during a total eclipse.
The rest of the time - one side is mostly illuminated.
By our Galaxy's Every Day Carry ............. the Sun.
Without it , we'd ALL be dark , cold ......... and DEAD.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

is this normal in the "flashlight world"?
Maybe not normal, but not uncommon either.

Malkoff's just introducing the XP-G models, so they're understandably popular and sell out quickly. The same was true of his previous offerings until mass production and wider distribution was established.

The A-9 + aspheric head? No idea, but there's no shortage of alternatives.

If all else fails, just about everything shows up secondhand in the Marketplace sooner or later, so keep and eye open or post a "Want To Buy", and you'll find what you want eventually.

DM51

Flashaholic

matchetman - this is an annoying thread title. Please change it to something that gives an idea of the topic, so people can see what the thread is about before they waste time opening it.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a horrible thread title! Uhg!! I'm really going to have to start reminding myself to stop clicking on these :sick2:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dude, it's not like the market is lacking readily available throwers... Have you even visited some of the most famous flashlight online stores, at all?

Just go to Bright Guy and get a Maxabeam, if you must have throw.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Because our little world is a niche market, not mainstream. So the most interesting stuff tends to be handmade by enthusiasts for other enthusiasts, or at best produced in small batches by small companies.

The enthusiasts make what interests them (and what they think will interest other enthusiasts) when they have the time and materials. The small companies do the best they can just to stay in business.

I got frustrated too, it took me weeks just to source the parts for an almost trivial project (ROP) and even then I had to settle for second choice (because it could be found at all) on several parts. But then again we're lucky to be able to *find* custom parts for this kind of thing at all.

You could always just commission something to be custom built exactly the way you want it.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is always a dark side of the moon really.
Matter of fact it's all dark - during a total eclipse.
The rest of the time - one side is mostly illuminated.
By our Galaxy's Every Day Carry ............. the Sun.
Without it , we'd ALL be dark , cold ......... and DEAD.
But, but, if they said all that, it'd ruin the song. :laughing:

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Have probably spent 6-8 hours this weekend "researching" this forum looking for a thrower to replace my last light (dorc 220 led). why in the world is everything i find of some interest to me sold out - be in replacement leds by malkoff, mods to a maglite, or the latest, the light i am so far most interested in, the Tiable A-9 with the aspherical head? heck, even some batteries i've looked at are sold out? is this normal in the "flashlight world"?

and, if you have a suggestion for a durable thrower feel free to give me some advice! thank you!

It's because of this website. I think all flashlight manufacturers should give CPF royalties! lovecpf

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
I was going through this three weeks ago. I satisfied my desire by buying both the Tiablo A9 with colminator and the Dereelight with colminator. Both are 100% throw monsters. The TK40 beam looks anemic next to the hotspot of these lights. The machining of the A9 is a little better but the colminator head is a little loose when focused. On the other hand the derleelight's head is rock solid but the overall quality of the aluminum body, threading and coating is worse. The aspherical lens on the tiablo might not be glass (I haven't tried scratching it), but they use glass on the derleelight. Even though I'm still not satisfied with the perfect light, I'm glad I got these throwers

mikeinrancho

Newly Enlightened

I am waiting on a Solarforce Masterpiece PRO-1 head to arrive. Added to a Surefire 6P or compatible body it should make a good thrower.

I received this head last week and used it with the L2P body that came with it and 2 16340's and it's definitely a thrower. Compared it to my M1X and while the M1X lit up a slightly broader area roughly 500 yards away, the PRO-1 lit up the area with a much brighter, although smaller hot spot. It's my new favorite light.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it hard to find good lights right now? Let's see. The Cree XP-G l.e.d.s just came out so lights with them are in short supply. Currently, about the only flashlights that have these l.e.d.s are Chinese, and Chinese factories are shut down while they are celebrating their new year. Battery Junction had a fire so at least one source of good lights currently isn't selling any. The U.S. is still in a recession which means that cheap products that people can afford are stocked in stores, and expensive but good quality products are collecting dust on shelves until they are eventually sold. Those good products aren't worth restocking for the store owners during a recession when nobody can afford them(once they're sold out, you can't get them anymore). Eventually, they aren't carried in stores because they are rarely sold and the manufacturers slow down or halt production and replace them with products that the vast majority will buy at a pricepoint they can afford (they try to sell you the cheap stuff). This is why good expensive flashlights are hard to get right now.

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the valuable info guys. this site can be pretty overwhelming to say the least...

oh, and for guys that time i wasted making you reply to a useless thread, sorry.

thanks again

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it hard to find good lights right now? Let's see. The Cree XP-G l.e.d.s just came out so lights with them are in short supply.

I don't consider XP-G to make good throwers. They have more light, but over a larger area, and the intensity isn't any better than many other LEDs. My Cree Q5 XR-E light throws further than my XP-G light, just with a smaller spot and less spill. Cree Q5 XR-E lights have been around for a long while, and that's just one example.

I think the real issue that there is just SO much evolving genius from so many manufacturers and individuals using quickly evolving technologies. Things are moving along so quickly that it's difficult to keep something in stock.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing the title.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not normally like this. It is a very odd time to be buying a thrower. That and the A9 is in an odd position now. They weren't available for about a year, then came back a little bit when the aspheric head came out.

Well, this scene takes a lot of patience. Get your money ready, and sit and wait for something you really want.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh, and for guys that time i wasted making you reply to a useless thread, sorry.
That statement doesn't really fix the problem, this thread is the equivalent of trying to go to google.com and your browser opening the local newspaper's (in denmark) obituaries.