Fenix pd30 r4

archerer

Newly Enlightened
Hey I think I finially decided on this light and now can't find it anywhere. Was this a special run light that is not going to be available anymore or is it just out of stock everywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

archerer

Newly Enlightened
thanks..........I seen were the pd30 + is 235 lumens and the r4 is 265 lumens.........would that little bit make that much of a difference

Databyter

Enlightened
thanks..........I seen were the pd30 + is 235 lumens and the r4 is 265 lumens.........would that little bit make that much of a difference
They say that each quadrupling of the lumen value doubles the noticable brightness if I remember correctly.

Heres another link

http://www.j2ledflashlight.com/fenix_pd30_r4.html

It's just a new light offered in the XPG LED (R4) and probably the initial offerings sold out at most stores, they will probably be restocked in some of them, as available.

Just google search PD30 R4 and keep checking, I only looked at 3 stores, it might be that some obscure backpacking store or something will still have some in stock. Or just wait a while.

Doh! I'm supposed to be getting ready for work!! bye now.

CampingMaster

Newly Enlightened
Same info as Databyter, you can get only the R2, the R4 is out of stock everywhere. The only clue we found out is april as an avaibility date but this info is only on this canadian site but gives us an idiea that it might be available for all dealers around april.
The PD30 Q5 with has no rhombic knurling and clip, I suggest you the R2 for throw and R4 for best around lighting, I own all three of them and this is the one I prefer (the R4).
You made a very good choice.
Bye ! P :)
Capture002.jpg

Mik

Newly Enlightened
I have the PD30+ version and while I have never seen the XPG version to compare mine to, I am very happy with what I have. It is my EDC. Very small, no sharp bezel, bright and the color is just right for me. I can't tell you how much better the XPG version is, but I can say that you probably would not regret it if you bought the PD30+.

sfca

Enlightened
The PD30 Q5 with has no rhombic knurling and clip, I suggest you the R2 for throw and R4 for best around lighting, I own all three of them and this is the one I prefer (the R4).

Does the R2 out-throw the R4 by much? I'm guessing no momentary-on function.

archerer

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyeone. I made an order with a backpacking camping store. I hope it is in stock. My luck they will email me back and say it is back ordered to April.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I've just received a tweet from Fenixlight saying the R4 will be shipping on March 5th!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do I understand this right: Fenix PD30 R4 earlier offered at a limited edition, was sold out, but will soon be available again?

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Huh, why wait? You can get a Quark 123^2 Regular with an R5 bin XP-G, right now. No waiting!

Also, the pocket clip is much, much better (more secure) and still removable. Plenty of people have made the switch from Fenix to 4sevens... why not try them out since you can't get the PD30 you want?

Last edited:

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Hmmm...I don't know how to do. This light really is attractive. But I also looking at TA21. Advantages and disadvantages of course...:thinking:

Regards, Patric

These are really different lights!? The PD30+ is about as small as a 2x123 clicky gets. If you are in the camp that considers a 2x123 light pocketable, then the PD30+ is definitely pocketable. The TA21 on the other hand is really large for a 1x18650 (or 2x123). The TA21 is both wider and longer than a typical 1x18650.

IMO the TA21 is way too big for an EDC light.

Carrot also made a good comment - The Quark regular 123(2) R5 is a similar light with 5 brightness modes and latest emitter in the latest bin. Might be worth consideration if you want a XP-G light available now. If I were in your shoes and itching to buy, go for the quark. If you are a fenix fan then wait for the PD30R4. I would only go for a TA21 if you are not intending to pocket carry it.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh, why wait? You can get a Quark 123^2 Regular with an R5 bin XP-G, right now. No waiting!

Also, the pocket clip is much, much better (more secure) and still removable. Plenty of people have made the switch from Fenix to 4sevens... why not try them out since you can't get the PD30 you want?

not only is the pocket clip much better, the knurling, holster, warranty are better. its smaller, and lighter, has the option of lego parts. only downside is the bin lottery, cause some have complained about a slight greenish tint.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are really different lights!? The PD30+ is about as small as a 2x123 clicky gets. If you are in the camp that considers a 2x123 light pocketable, then the PD30+ is definitely pocketable. The TA21 on the other hand is really large for a 1x18650 (or 2x123). The TA21 is both wider and longer than a typical 1x18650.

IMO the TA21 is way too big for an EDC light.

Carrot also made a good comment - The Quark regular 123(2) R5 is a similar light with 5 brightness modes and latest emitter in the latest bin. Might be worth consideration if you want a XP-G light available now. If I were in your shoes and itching to buy, go for the quark. If you are a fenix fan then wait for the PD30R4. I would only go for a TA21 if you are not intending to pocket carry it.

Your picture clearly shows the size difference between them.

The advantage of TA21 is that it fills upp the hand and will be more stable and comfortable to hold. Also I like the revolving switch function, never need to step through the modes to get the prefered brightness.
The disadvantage is the worse portability.

The expected disadvantage with PD30 is that (according to my experience with L1D and LD20) is too small for a good hold, and will be a bit slipper in the hand.
Quark 123^2 is likely better in this respect, but I am not sure adequate: I am not satisfied with the grip of my Quark AA^2, which is too narrow, and though the knurling the light tends to glide away in the hand when pressing the button. I just don't stand that...

Regards, Patric

Last edited: