Alternative to Fenix LD20 or D2??

northslope

Newly Enlightened
I need a light for hiking, hanging in tent, using in headband and EDC.

I like the Fenix LD20 and Nitecore D10 But I am hoping to find something under $40.

Must use AA or AAA batteries. Prefer AA.
Must have low power mode for long run times (to hang in tent)
Can't be too heavy (want to use it in a headband)
Must be bright enough to hike but don't need Uber magnum lumens

So, any cheaper alternatives to the Fenix LD20 or Nitecore D10? (Oops! NOT D2 like in my title)

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Depends how long exactly you want to run the light on low. I can't think of any lights sub $40 or even sub $50 that have a true low mode.

Check out this review for some other ideas. One that comes to mind is the Eagletac P100A2. It is $50 and 50 lumens on low, which runs for 8 hours. That would make a nice camp light I should think, unless you want longer runtime. Most other options will be in the $60+ price range.

chenko

Enlightened
The new Eagletac PC20A2 seems fantastic, also the Dereelight Javelin is cool and upgradable. Those would be my choices. :twothumbs

pipsqueakspace

Newly Enlightened
The new Eagletac PC20A2 seems fantastic, also the Dereelight Javelin is cool and upgradable. Those would be my choices. :twothumbs

Those aren't under $40 :thinking:

I think the whole point of the OP was to find a cheaper replacement for his fenix and nitecore.

McAllan

Enlightened
I like the Fenix LD20 and Nitecore D2. But I am hoping to find something under $40.

Must use AA or AAA batteries. Prefer AA.

So, any cheaper alternatives to the Fenix LD20 or Nitecore D2?

That's what they call a challenge.

At DX, KD etc. you can find a multitude of sub $40 lights which will take 2 AA. KingPower K2, Aurora, UltraFire, Tank007 to name a few. They have models with low output too.

But to be true. Mostly they're fine and usable but there's a catch to their lower price. Physical quality is lower. Might not be a big concern if you take care of your items. And then there's run time/power requirements. If using them with rechargeables and you don't have big expectations go ahead. But they do not have as efficient drivers as say Fenix. A great thing about them however is if you're not happy with the focus and don't have 10 thumbs you can easily take them apart and adjust it to your liking (you can not with Fenix though I must say I'm mostly happy with the Focus of mine).

So the question is. Is it wise to spare a few $? In the long run for your use I think you'll be more happy with a higher quality light since run time is significant to you.
If just using it around the house and nothing serious then the cheaper lights with rechargeables are just fine - and especially if you have the rechargeables already.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at these:

Quark MiNi AA ($39) - 2.7 lm/60 hrs - 25 lm/8 hrs - 90 lm/1.3 hr

iTP EOS A2 AA ($25) - 1.5 lm/60 hrs - 18lm/7 hrs - 80 lm/2 hrs

Either of these with a 4-pack of batteries should be more than enough for any trek.