Dereelight C2H (XP-G R5) First Impressions

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I received a Dereelight C2H last week and have had some time to play around with it.

Here is what I like:
-Beautiful, WHITE beam from the XP-G R5. I have a Quark R5 and it is minty green (still love the light), but this C2H beam is pure white. It has a good mix of throw and flood and is a very useful beam without rings.
-It has three levels that seem fairly well spaced out, and the top level is incredibly bright. This thing is maximally driven, for sure.
-It has a forward clicky with momentary-on that is recessed to allow tailstanding. There is also a cut out to allow easier access to the clicky.
-It has a simple U.I. with only three levels of brightness and NO STROBES.
-It has MODE MEMORY, which I have grown to prefer over other interfaces, so you don't have to click through 2-3 levels every time you turn on the light.
-There are glow-in-the-dark accents with a GITD tailcap and o-ring at the lense. I find this very useful for finding the light on my nightstand in the middle of the night.
-It takes CR123's, AA's, RCR123's or 14500s
-It is well regulated
-It is fairly inexpensive and in my opinion a great value
-It is compact at less than 4 inches, even with the AA extension, and much smaller without it so it fits in my front pocket easily
-It has a nice low-profile wire clip
-The light is upgradeable so you can keep it updated with the most recent emitter

Here is what I am not so fond of:
-The clicky was very difficult to press at first. A simple modification of adding some hard foam under the tail boot fixed this. Thanks, timbo114 and swrdply400mrelay for the easy solutions.
-The emitter is not perfectly centered, although it doesn't appear to effect the beam.
-The lowest level could be lower. It is still fairly bright compared to the Quark's low.
-The runtime on high isn't very good, but it is so highly driven that I wouldn't expect it to be.
-It gets hot quickly
-It dies without warning

All told, I love my new C2H, and now that the tailcap issue is fixed I am extremely happy with this light. The negatives don't affect my satisfaction with it at all. I am extremely pleased. :twothumbs

1000531.jpg

Left to right: TerraLux Lightstar 220, EagleTac P20C2 R2, Ultrafire C3 SS, Dereelight C2H (in AA form), Quark Mini AA, iTP EOS A3

1000537.jpg

Left to right: TerraLux Lightstar 220, EagleTac P20C2 R2, Ultrafire C3 SS, Dereelight C2H (in 123 form), Quark Mini AA, iTP EOS A3

1000551o.jpg

Dereelight C2H with RCR123 on High

1000550cz.jpg

Quark Mini AA with 14500 on High

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dereelight C2H First Impressions

Huh?? :eek:

No heart palpitations, shortness of breath? It just dies with no warning at all?

Mine dies after about 10 minutes at max level (on RCR123) because of the heat: a thermal protection kicks in suddenly. It is enough to let the flashlight cool down a little bit then you can switch it on again.
I tried to check the runtime on RCR's but to do so you must keep the light cooled in a glass of water or by a fan.

According to my IR thermometer this is the heat buildup in candle mode on RCR123 with no cooling, measured on the surface of the head:

- 0 min = 20°C
- 1 min = 27°C
- 3 min = 36°C
- 5 min = 42°C
- 10 min = 48°C (protection kicks in)

recDNA

Flashaholic

What did you use for "hard foam"?

AlphaZen

Enlightened

As suggested in another thread by swrdply400mrelay, I used a small piece of a round foam pad that you put under furniture and such. I had to trim it down a bit to get a proper tailstand, but the clicky is much more responsive now.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I don't care if it can tailstand but I don't have any pads under my furniture. I was hoping somebody had an example of something I might have around the house or could easily pick up at a drugstore.

AlphaZen

Enlightened

beamshots please :D
I have never done beamshots, but I will do my best tonight.

Huh?? :eek:

No heart palpitations, shortness of breath? It just dies with no warning at all?
It kicked off without warning. I could only get it to light up briefly (maybe 1 second) after that. I was hoping to be able to turn it on in low for some more use, but wan't able to.

Mine dies after about 10 minutes at max level (on RCR123) because of the heat: a thermal protection kicks in suddenly. It is enough to let the flashlight cool down a little bit then you can switch it on again.
I think mine just died because the battery was spent, but this is interesting to know. It gets so hot that it is probably a good thing.

AlphaZen

Enlightened

I don't care if it can tailstand but I don't have any pads under my furniture. I was hoping somebody had an example of something I might have around the house or could easily pick up at a drugstore.
You can probably find something like this a Target, or definitely a hardware store.

robb01

Newly Enlightened

good review, cant wait to see pics :thumbsup:

AlphaZen

Enlightened

You can find some beam shots and comparison to other flashlight in my Danish review. I have compared output with NiMH, CR123 and LiIon and also compared it to JetBeam RRT-0.
Only caveat is that my C2H uses the XR-E R2 emitter, not the new XP-G R5.
HKJ, that looks like a great review. For those of us that don't speak Danish, what was your opinion of the light?

HKJ

Flashaholic

HKJ, that looks like a great review. For those of us that don't speak Danish, what was your opinion of the light?

I like the light, especially on LiIon.
For people that likes to tinker, it is easy to change the led or anything else in the light.

timbo114

Enlightened

THIS is the reason for the difficult clickys .....
DSCF2814.jpg

OEM boot has no nipple, thus creating a deeper contact point with the switch.
I used a new boot and trimmed the full size nipple to about 60% - now I have a PERFECT switch mechanism, and still a 100% solid tail stand.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Glad you like the C2H, Alphazen!

Maybe we can let Flashcrazy know about the rubber boot switch so he can pass it on to Deree.

Also, IDK if you know, but 4sevens prism kit works pretty well with the C2H! If you get it to work, maybe you can add some pics to your post!

mike

recDNA

Flashaholic

You can probably find something like this a Target, or definitely a hardware store.

Oh felt, I thought it should be foam. I may have an extra tail cap cover with a nipple to try. I don't know if the diameter will be right though.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

:thumbsup:
Oh felt, I thought it should be foam. I may have an extra tail cap cover with a nipple to try. I don't know if the diameter will be right though.

It can be pretty much any material. The whole purpose is to find something with thickness to gap the distance, like the rubber nipple would. Just trim whatever it is to fit in the tailcap. :thumbsup:

Something like this could work as well.

Last edited: