Help NDI

kc1911

Newly Enlightened
I have a nightforce defender infinity that I used for my EDC and I love it. Recently, though i realized that the battery leaked on the inside and I tried cleaning it up. The light works now, but seem to be draining through the batteries at a much accelerated rate. Any idea or comments on why?

TIA

KC1911

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Lithium

Very interesting! Many of us use Energizer Lithium primary (non rechargeable) batteries to avoid leakage problems associated with alkaline and other types of batteries.

Please tell us more. How old was the Energizer lithium battery? Was the NDI left powered on before the leak? Had you tried to recharge the lithium battery before the leak?

Thanks. :popcorn:

kc1911

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting! Many of us use Energizer Lithium primary (non rechargeable) batteries to avoid leakage problems associated with alkaline and other types of batteries.

Please tell us more. How old was the Energizer lithium battery? Was the NDI left powered on before the leak? Had you tried to recharge the lithium battery before the leak?

Thanks. :popcorn:

Nothing very interesting to say, lol. The only thing that might be out of the norm. is that I normally store my batteries in this mini fridge so it was cold when I inserted it in. It wasn't powered on before the leak, but it was on the plane with me (I don't know of pressurized cabins have any connection, but I highly doubt it). I never recharge the lithium battery.

I know that after the leak (brownish) there was some staining done to the pcb board that connected the two battery terminals together, and this weird waxy smell.:sigh:

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I had the same thing happen to my Nitecore NDI. The only difference is that it was an AW 14500 that leaked.
That Nitecore belonged to my wife and she always kept it in her bag. For the longest time she only put eneloops in it. Then I got her an AW battery telling her that it was a good battery and that it would be a lil bit brighter. Some months later the flashlight was dead with all sorts of nasty stuff in it. My wife picked on me telling " I thought you said that battery was all good and stuff and now look what happened my flashlight is dead!"
Poor NDI that was one of my favorite lights RIP:mecry:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt i read somewhere here that we can clean out 'leakage; with vinegar and a q tip?

or something like that?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The vinegar works for cleaning up the mess from alkaline batteries because they have - ahem - an alkaline electrolyte.

Not sure what the chemistry is for the L91 Lithium primaries though.

Update: According to the Journal of Power Sources :

Electrochemical characteristics of Li/FeS2 batteries having natural pyrite as cathode and liquid electrolytes have been studied at room temperature. The organic electrolytes used were 1 M lithium bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide (LiTFSI) in tetra(ethylene glycol) dimethyl ether (TEGDME) or a mixture of TEGDME and 1,3-dioxolane (DOX), and 1 M LiPF6 in a mixture of ethylene carbonate (EC) and dimethyl carbonate (DMC).
Hope that clears that up ! :candle:

Last edited:

kc1911

Newly Enlightened
so from that I guess i need an organic solvent? so should i try acetone? lol I think thats going to mess up my pcb board. But the board is acid etch correct?