A holiday in Cam...Vietnam

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to share my torch experiences after spending 21 nights in Vietnam. I brought along 3 torches, a TK20, an E01 and the LiteFlux LF2XT. I brought 3 spare LSD batteries for the LF2XT and 4 AA's for the TK20. For the whole time, I did not unpack the TK20. The LF2XT was used the most, and I still had a spare battery left at the end of the trip. Even Mrs Floppy praised the LF2XT.

I carried the torch in my hand luggage to get past the airport metal detectors without much ado but the spare batteries were in the checked-in luggage. The only time the torch set off a metal detector was a visit to uncle Ho's mausoleum and then they didn't bother to use the hand held scanner. I was carrying a camera and a mobile phone, they made me put the camera through the x-ray machine and I had to collect it later at the exit. The mobile phone they made me carry it in my hand. It wasn't allowed to be in my pocket, where my LF2XT was. Can't be sure what they would do if they saw the light but I'd rather not take the risk of losing the torch.

Anyway, there were very few opportunities to use a torch. The first time I used it was for a cave tour in the Ha Long bay. The cave was really well lit however. It was so well lit that plants were growing infront of the HID lights. Bit disappointing but I finally got to use the light that evening. After dinner, the Mrs and I went to the top deck to enjoy the night. On the way up, a little row boat called out to us to buy their treats. The Mrs haggled for us two big bottles of (beer) bia Ha Noi for 15,000 dong. Not sure how big they were (600ml?) but 2 were better value than the 10,000 dong 300ml cans of Halida beer they were trying to flog on board. The row boat with the two ladies then went off to the other junks. Of course we wanted another couple so with the LF2XT in FUI mode, I signalled them with the random strobe mode. Their boat turned towards us and yay!

Next, we were at the water puppet theatre in Hanoi, sat all the way up the back. Not knowing what was happening, we tried to read the english program. I thought the E01 would be ok to turn on to read the program but its a little bright. The LF2XT came to the rescue, its low mode is great.

One of the best opportunities was at the Cu Chi tunnels. I was so glad I had my light with me. I was able to go through one of the orginal tunnels, not the widened ones. On my hands and knees, with tiny bats flying around, torch in my mouth, it was fantastic. The poor bloke behind me had to go back out the orginal hole as he didnt have a light. Lots of dead ends and turns, you couldnt blame him. The light was only at around 50% brightness but that was more than enough. It would be enough if the LF2XT was on its lowest really. The tour operators I reckon could make more money by offering a cheap simple 5mm led torch for just a situation. Anyway, if you like tunnels, and you're at the Cu Chi tunnels, dont forget a light.

At the wider tunnels where all tourists could go, there was a guide who led a group of around 25 of us. He had a 2AA maglite but he went through fast leaving the rest of us in the dark. The start of the tunnel had some lights but after that, it was complete darkness. No-one warned us so the Mrs quickly asked for the torch. She doesn't like small spaces and dark ones at that. After trying to teach her the CUI of the LF2XT, she turned it on max without any help at all. We were also near the end group so when she took a turn thinking it was the quick exit, only to come face to face with a small bat and a dead end, she couldn't stop praising how great it to have the torch and how good it was of me to carry a torch. She likes the torch.

After that, the only other time I used the torch was for nice strolls along a long private beach on Con Dao island. It was bliss. Only spent two nights there but the majority of the battery power was spent there. I didnt carry any spares with me so one of the evenings, it started to flash but it got us home. There were other people there but other than one american couple, most didnt venture too far from the resort at night. That couple had a pretty strong LED torch with them. I think it might have been a cr123a powered one given the size but for the whole trip, MY LF2XT was just superb.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds like a great trip, Mr Floppy. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I'm not really too surprised your LF2XT served you well. I would have brought mine, too.

Geoff