New general use light: P20C2 or Dereelight Javelin?

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, i've decided to look out for a new general purpose light, and ive finally narrowed it down to just two options: The new XP-G Eagletac P20C2 or the Dereelight Javelin.

I know these lights are really quite different, but i need some advice to sway me one way or the other.. Here is my list of pluses and minuses that i have thought of so far for each light.

P20C2 - Price: £45 + £10 for batteries.

Very bright! 305 OTF lumens according to light-reviews :thumbsup:
Hidden strobe mode: I do like to have the option, but don't like to have it go all blinky on me when im not expecting it to, so this seems perfect for me :thumbsup:
Low lux so little throw, but balanced out by a wider hotspot, so more of a flooder :shrug:
A surprisingly very low runtime on AW rcr123's of only 55mins :thumbsdow
I had heard of a 'dark spot' on the smooth reflector version, but i would be getting the OP version so not really a problem there..

Dereelight Javelin - Price: £40

Still very bright: 240 or so OTF lumens :thumbsup:
Runs on eneloops which i have over 40 of already, so convenient :twothumbs
Upgradeable with any P60 drop-in I believe :thumbsup:
But.. I already have a TK20 as an outdoor light so i don't want to make that obselete :thumbsdow
I'm not sure the pure white tint (5A i think?) will be as useful as my TK20's warm white, which is very useful when used outdoors :thumbsdow
Longer, so not so pocketable, it also looks less 'compact' and so less tough somehow, but i'm not sure if that is simply my perception :thumbsdow
I'm unsure of the exact runtime but i think it's about an hour on two eneloops, which still isnt that long really.. :shrug:

Okay, that's all of the pluses and minuses i can think of at the moment, so any more to add by anyone would be very welcome. :popcorn:

I am also considering saving up and getting a TK40, which i can find for about £95, so that is an option as well.. :thinking:

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
I have never used the Javelin, but I do own the P20C2 with the R5, and I say it's an excellent light. I use an AW 17670 for "playing" around so I don't burn through primaries. Runs vary well on the single Li-ion.

Oh, and it's bright! bigchelis got 330 lumens on start up in his sphere :twothumbs

I think the tint on the TK20 is 5A.

The P20C2 will be upgradeable since it has a module system now. Not as versatile as the P60 config in the Javelin though.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input, hmm.. if the tk20 is 5a then i think i must have the javelin's one wrong, i had assumed the tk20 was 5c.

I'd be very interested in knowing the exact runtime of the Javelin on all three modes if anyone knows or can show me where to find this as well..:poke:

Thanks

Last edited:

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I'd be very interested in knowing the exact runtime of the Javelin on all three modes if anyone knows or can show me where to find this as well..[/QUOTE said:

fannin

Enlightened
Thanks for the input, hmm.. if the tk20 is 5a then i think i must have the javelin's one wrong, i had assumed the tk20 was 5c.

I'd be very interested in knowing the exact runtime of the Javelin on all three modes if anyone knows or can show me where to find this as well..:poke:

Thanks
my r5 javelin ran for about an hour or just over on max on a freshly charged enelooop or similar lsd nimh, very similar runtimes to my r2 p20a2. didn't test the other modes.

i would avoid the dereelight and get the eagletac

except i would get a fenix because sometimes i get funny behavior from my eagletac and wouldn't buy another one but if i had to choose between javelin or eagletac i'd go ET

fannin

Enlightened
you could get the p20a2 r5 instead of the p20c2 if you've already got 40 eneloops

it's similar output to the jav probably, maybe better i don't know. similar weight, better build quailty i would expect

i stick to aaa/aa lights to avoid expensive/dangerous batteries

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight Javelin
Upgradeable with any P60 drop-in I believe :thumbsup:
Only the 3V ones. The 6V ones with buck regulators won't work.
BTW 2*Eneloops is 2.7V dropping to 2.4V.

I am also considering saving up and getting a TK40, which i can find for about £95, so that is an option as well.. :thinking:
:twothumbs :twothumbs
The lights you are looking at will be brighter than your current collection but not by much. The TK40 will be much brighter. Cool white though.
4sevens claims the Quark MiNi AA² can be Legoed with the Quark MiNi AA (same head).
So I bought a Quark MiNi AA² to swap heads with my Quark MiNi AA WARMS.
The Quark MiNi AA² head works with both 1AA and 2AA bodies. :D
Unfortunately my AA head won't fit on the 2AA tube. :mecry:
(I was hoping for a brighter WARMS light.)
YMMV. Are you a gambling man?
If not maybe a Preon 2 neutral.
I am mentioning this because I can EDC the MiNi AA² in my jeans back pocket.
Quark MiNi AA2 size compared to a Preon 2 top and Minimag AAA bottom
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

fvdk

Newly Enlightened
Okay, i've decided to look out for a new general purpose light, and ive finally narrowed it down to just two options: The new XP-G Eagletac P20C2 or the Dereelight Javelin.

Dereelight Javelin - Price: £40

Longer, so not so pocketable, it also looks less 'compact' and so less tough somehow, but i'm not sure if that is simply my perception :thumbsdow

You can opt for the Javelin shorty (Javelin head & C2H body) runs on 1 AA or 1 CR123.