WOW 40W LED, but what about the supply?

somename

Newly Enlightened
I was checking my Electronic Design monthly and ran across this "LEDEngin 40 watt multi-chip LED" on Mouser.

It sounds awesome with 2,000+ Lumens in Daylight and Neutral colors with 100,000 hours, but what are you guys doing for the boost circuits?

Is there other boards that must be included in your mod-lights to maintain a constant voltage output as the battery voltage drops with time, or is that integrated in some of these multi-chip boards somehow?

Has anybody looked at doing a mod with this chip/board?

luckybucket

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to cpf.

Just a fyi for you, this is supposed to be in the LED section.

I think the emitter your speaking of has a very large emitting surface meaning it will not focus very well and is only capable of flooding a large area with light. There are a few current regulating boards that will step up voltage and to power leds like this. Check out the electronics section for them.

ahx66

Newly Enlightened
I think you're talking about the SST-90 from Luminus. It puts out an awesome 2200 Lumens at 9 A.

For power, nothing wrong with old fashon wire-wound resistors and single Li cells that can handle the current. I am experimenting with a PWM from Arrow electronics that puts out 10 A from 0.5 to 5 V, and costs only $15.

The chip area is several mm across and you need a large reflector if you want a tight beam.

Illum

Flashaholic
when speaking of LEDs...typically people think of stuffing it in a flashlight even when the collimation, forward voltage, design current, and or thermal dissipation is way overspec.

these LEDs are probably for architectural purposes, aside from the LED page under flashlights there's also the LED page in "beyond flashlights"

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That emitter is way too low on efficiency to be practical in a flashlight...

You could use 7x XPG which can produce similar or more lumens at half the power.