" 6k " A Hybrid Flashlight/Searchlight 6k-10K Lumens with a CSM-360 "Luminus" Led

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
" 6k " A Hybrid Flashlight/Searchlight 6k-10K Lumens with a CSM-360 "Luminus" Led

After many months of design, Zeruel and myself have come up
with this flashlight/searchlight project that we would like to
offer Cpf members once things get going.

It is a hybrid light that offers a good balance of throw and flood
for up close and far away lighting. Renderings are shown below
to give you a good idea of what the light looks like. The body
is composed of 3 parts. A middle section housing all the parts.
And 2 outer shells. It will be about 1.25in/32mm thick, With the
other dimensions listed in the pictures below. a 7075 Aluminum
metal will be used in all 3 sections, And will be Hard Anodized
in a type 3 coating. Black/Olive/Natural finishes will be offered.
6kModifiedRender.jpg

CarryPositions.jpg

This light will be offered in 3 different configurations using the same body shell:

2k 3x MC-E leds powered by 5x 18650 Batteries.
4k 3x SST-90 leds powered by 3x 18650 Batteries.
6k 2x SST-90 leds and 1x CSM-360 led powered by 5x 18650 Batteries.

Estimated Max output Lumens in listed order from above:
(numbers vary depending on type of 18650 batteries used)
(These are Actual calculated numbers AT the led)

2k 1800-2100 Lumens
4k 4000-5000 Lumens
6k 6000-10000 Lumens

Runtime ratings on these lights at MAX output.
(runtimes may not be continuous due to heat buildup)
(All models will most likely have a 20hr+ LOW runtime)

2k 1.5hrs-1.75hrs
4k 30-40mins
6k 30-40mins

These 3 versions will utilize the Taskled line of Drivers.
(all models will be configured for 5-Level adjustable output)

2k Hipflex configured for 2.8a Max output
4k and 6k will use the D2Flex driver

Prices depend upon the model you choose:
(these are Approximate prices)

2k 450$-550$
4k 650$-750$
6k 850$-950$

AW Protected or similar Protected battieries
will be required for the 4k and 6k.

IMR Batteries are recommended if you want to
run the 6k to its Max potential of 10k lumens.

The 2k can use DX protected batteries because
the total Ah draw on the batts would be less than
2,400mA, Or less than 1c.

The batteries will be in an Isolated tray inside the
body of the light. Thier will also be a builtin charging
option with all 3 models. And they will come out as
a unit so you can swap out trays easily.

A prototype is being made that will go to the designer "Zeruel".
Then you will all see what a monster of a light it is !!

More Details to come!!!

Last edited:

ftumch33

Enlightened
Re: " 6k " A Hybrid Flashlight/Searchlight 6k-10K Lumens with a CSM-360 "Luminus" Led

6k 6000-10000 Lumens...
Yeah Baby! Now we`re talkin`!
I can`t wait to see the prototype!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: " 6k " A Hybrid Flashlight/Searchlight 6k-10K Lumens with a CSM-360 "Luminus" Led

I am currently somewhere between "DUDE! That is so friggen awesome" and giggling like a school girl.

SO, I will jsut say that this seems like an interesting project, and I look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

5X18650..that's a lot of li-ion! Any thoughts to using a balanced pack or very safe chemistry cells?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow!! this looks really cool!!

pepko

Newly Enlightened

nice ...
:thumbsup:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

that looks very interesting.

i could see one of these being mounted in a cradle in the back of my next car.

will this be running the 18650s recharged in the light, or will they be easily removable so they can be swapped out easily ?

having a lower level would be handy too - like 800ish lumens, along with the 6-10k lumens

Last edited:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened

Neat! That's an amazing amount of lumens from a truly tiny package....and a very nice looking design as well! Well done.

I have one question about the location of the cooling fins, though. (Of course, I don't know much about flashlight design, so please take this question with a grain of salt!). I noticed that the cooling fins (which is where I assume most of the heat would be dissipated) are located directly under the handle, which is where your hand would be. Would dissipating the heat towards the handle make the light too hot to carry? (I imagine that you'd run into the same issue with the "underhand carry" option you'd pictured.)

In other words, the hottest part of the flashlight (the head) is usually located far away from where we hold it (the body)....so I'm just wondering whether this design creates any functional problems. Of course, I'm not as familiar with the SST-90s, so they may run cooler than the LEDs I'm used to.

Again, this is just food for thought, since I'm really excited about the prospect of this light coming to market!

- FITP

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

:wow: Would be interesting to use a standard laptop or camcorder battery, instead of those scary loose cells (protection or no protection). :paypal:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neat! That's an amazing amount of lumens from a truly tiny package....and a very nice looking design as well! Well done.

I have one question about the location of the cooling fins, though. (Of course, I don't know much about flashlight design, so please take this question with a grain of salt!). I noticed that the cooling fins (which is where I assume most of the heat would be dissipated) are located directly under the handle, which is where your hand would be. Would dissipating the heat towards the handle make the light too hot to carry? (I imagine that you'd run into the same issue with the "underhand carry" option you'd pictured.)

In other words, the hottest part of the flashlight (the head) is usually located far away from where we hold it (the body)....so I'm just wondering whether this design creates any functional problems. Of course, I'm not as familiar with the SST-90s, so they may run cooler than the LEDs I'm used to.

Again, this is just food for thought, since I'm really excited about the prospect of this light coming to market!

- FITP

Thanks all for liking the design. :)

The fins are Sabrewolf's suggestion to whom I defer for technical and engineering matters.

That's a good point there. But I believe the fins wouldn't be hot, it'll be warm at the most. Check out other high output lights with fins, like Neofab Legion II, M1X, M30, the role of fins is to help dissipate the heat through the width of it and by the time it reaches the tip, it would not be scorching anymore. Of course, this will also depend on the amount of heatsink within the light, how hard the LEDs are driven and the depth of the fins. I hope Sabrewolf will correct me if I'm wrong here. :thinking:

In case anyone's wondering, the 3 blue slots on the head are supposed to be trits allocation and the 6K with blue lines might be lighted or GITD. This apply to the trit and ON button on the primary switch as well.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zeruel is correct in his answers :)

AW Protected or similar Protected battieries
will be required for the 4k and 6k.

IMR Batteries are recommended if you want to
run the 6k to its Max potential of 10k lumens.

The 2k can use DX protected batteries because
the total Ah draw on the batts would be less than
2,400mA, Or less than 1c.

The batteries will be in an Isolated tray inside the
body of the light. Thier will also be a builtin charging
option with all 3 models. And they will come out as
a unit so you can swap out trays easily.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

Come to papa! :twothumbs Can't wait to see the proto and some more numbers such as lower levels and runtime once it is put together!!!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Super cool!!! :thumbsup:

:popcorn:

ftumch33

Enlightened

how about a plug in adapter so it can be run off of electricity when the batteries die or a regular wall plug to charge it?

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

how about a plug in adapter so it can be run off of electricity when the batteries die or a regular wall plug to charge it?

That Will be an option too. I am going to put tripod mounts
on the light so you can use it as a worklight/arealight.
Also shooting for a 2000 lumen continuous runtime so you
can take advantage of that feature.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ooh, very nice!

Small question:

This light will be offered in 3 different configurations using the same body shell:

2k 3x MC-E leds powered by 5x 18650 Batteries.
4k 3x SST-90 leds powered by 3x 18650 Batteries.
6k 2x SST-90 leds and 1x CSM-360 led powered by 5x 18650 Batteries.

If they're all using the same shell and the 4k version uses only 3x 18650s, what's taking up the rest of the space? Only thing I can think of are some really deep reflectors/optics.

Actually, second question while I'm typing, what reflectors/optics are you using?

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am making seperate battery trays for the 2k/4-6k
There will be trays that have builtin recharging too :cool:

Ohh, The reflectors are custom made for this light.
Most likely 1in/25mm diameter X 2in/50mm deep Orangepeel.

Ooh, very nice!

Small question:

If they're all using the same shell and the 4k version uses only 3x 18650s, what's taking up the rest of the space? Only thing I can think of are some really deep reflectors/optics.

Actually, second question while I'm typing, what reflectors/optics are you using?