I need a new flashlight

22taylor22

Newly Enlightened
I have a question for you, I am a mechanic and I need a new flashlight, and I was thinking of the maratac 9290 or the maratac AA, I need a flashlight that is insanely bright at close range, I dont need it to have a lot of throw,spill would be a good thing, I saw your video compairing them and the maratac AA is less than half the lumens of the 9290 on high. so I was wondering your opinion, durability is also a very big factor. I just need a flashlight, preferably runs on double a's, that is very bright for its price with a good even spread range, preferably 30 dollars or around that area. I currently have an innova 5 led.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi taylor and :welcome:

If budget is the chief concern then i'd recommend that you go check out the AA range of lights at shiningbeam.com. Their budget lights are IMHO better than other sites that may offer the same light for less. I have had a number of orders with shiningbeam and all of them have been excellent. I have in fact just ordered the MG RX-1 warm white MC-E light but that is above your budget and runs on 18650s instead of AAs.

For 2xAA lights i strongly recommend the Romisen RC N3 II light, it comes in a Q5 or warm white tints which may or may not be relevant for your job. For a simple and decidedly amateurish comparison of the difference in the tints, check this link. The light in that beamshot comparison is the single mode but i understand that shiningbeam now has the dual mode which allows you to balance output and runtimes.

Oh and dont forget to use "CPFuser" for a discount when you're checking out.

duboost

Enlightened
+1 on romisens. great lights for the price

you may also want to look at the Fenix E20. It's slightly over $30, you can get it for about $35 from 4sevens w/ their discount code "cpf8". Good single mode 2AA light that allows you to adjust the beam from throw to flood.

Another one to look at is the Solarforce L2R. You can get it w/ a 1, 3, or 5 mode drop in (make sure you select a 0.8-4.2v drop in for 2AA's), and your choice of bezel. Use the coupon code SBCPF for 5% which would bring u right around or a few bucks over $30 depending which options you choose

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the above comments, although I think the rc-29 or rc-c6 with extension tube might be a better choice, since the rc-n3 is a bit more throwy.
I think the fenix e20 is another excellent choice.

I think a zebralight might be a good choice too. It is pure flood has multiple modes for your various needs and can be used as either a flashlight or headlamp.

22taylor22

Newly Enlightened
Hi taylor and :welcome:

If budget is the chief concern then i'd recommend that you go check out the AA range of lights at shiningbeam.com. Their budget lights are IMHO better than other sites that may offer the same light for less. I have had a number of orders with shiningbeam and all of them have been excellent. I have in fact just ordered the MG RX-1 warm white MC-E light but that is above your budget and runs on 18650s instead of AAs.

For 2xAA lights i strongly recommend the Romisen RC N3 II light, it comes in a Q5 or warm white tints which may or may not be relevant for your job. For a simple and decidedly amateurish comparison of the difference in the tints, check this link. The light in that beamshot comparison is the single mode but i understand that shiningbeam now has the dual mode which allows you to balance output and runtimes.

Oh and dont forget to use "CPFuser" for a discount when you're checking out.

How long is the flashlight with the 2 double A tube on it though, I dont want to have a 9 inch flashlight in my pocket.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
click on the link to the Romisen RC N3 II, the dimensions are there on the page

Dimensions: 6.18 in x 1.1 in x 1.1 in
Weight: 3.35 oz