Job interview advice

GeoffChan

Enlightened
G'day All,

I've made the shortlist for a job interview next week. The postion is in a technical position in the same group, same boss but a different campus.

What advice can people give when you know the interview panel and can't lie about my previous activities??

Geoff

Saaby

Flashaholic
When appropiate (For example, NOT on an application that says "Use Blue or Black Ink only) use green ink. My dad spent boucoup bucks for what I guess you'd call a job interview consultation service, and that's one of the things they told him.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well...you might try taking that silly thing off your head... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

sorry, other than that, i have no idea. just be polite and act like you're the best man for the job i suppose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

and saaby, it's good to show them that you can't read simple instructions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

r2

Enlightened
I did a lot of technical interviews for the software company I worked for (I'm in grad school now) and there was a lot of disagreement between different interviewers in our company. So I can tell you the kinds of things I looked for, but other interviewers (yours, for example) may have different opinions.

In general, think out loud. I often gave problems that I didn't really expect the candidate to be able to answer on the spot. I was more interested in seeing the false starts they made and trying to understand their thought processes. Candidates that described their thoughts well and described how they would approach a problem (before starting to write code on the whiteboard) almost always came out ahead. We'd talk about their ideas and I'd nugde them in the right direction so when they came to the finer details of the solution, they were much more likely to be on the right track and I understood exactly what they were doing. Much better than someone who launches right into something and I have no idea what they are thinking. Good people usually asked a lot of questions to make sure the understood the problems I was giving them and even offered an example to make sure (which is a great trick--if you don't understand a problem well enough to come up with your own example you probably don't really understand it).

I had my share of candidates who talked too much (so we didn't cover all that I wanted to cover) as well as those who were too quiet (hard to get information from someone who answers things too briefly). I could always tell when people were evading my questions and I could usually tell when they were BSing--don't do it. I usually asked them about their experience in general terms to see how they described themselves, then I started asking specific questions (making them write code on the whiteboard or describe specific details of projects they'd been involved with). That usually gave me enough information to break their individual code--if the glowing praise they gave themselves on one project translated to their lack of knowledge about the specifics of that project then I assumed the same was true of all the other stuff they said.

For me, people looking me in the eye and saying my name and all that stuff the interview counselors advise didn't make much difference. Clear communication and honesty was always more important, and of course, the actual technical qualifications. It's surprisingly easy to figure out when someone is full of BS.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my advice for technical interviews.

- Russ

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Geoff,

Good luck.

When I think about hiring someone for technical work, I think in terms of how they will fit on the team.

I would suggest you write down a list of your attributes (put the positive ones on top) and go through them from the perspective of how you will bring fresh new ideas to the project(s).

It is also important to know and face up to any negative attributes you have (if any). If the interview panel knows you, they will probably be aware of them already.

Over the next couple of days, review the list. It will build your confidence and give you an edge in the interview.

I might also suggest that you bring you 10X along... just in case they have a problem "seeing the light."

Tom

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i forgive you saaby....you're not quite all here after all... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif