best 1x123 light under $80

michael3

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering what you all think the brightest single cell 123 is for under $80. I would like to buy one at some point but it seems like there are quite a few options. even modded ones that someone might make, is there one that is producing from 200 to 300 out the front lumens or more? thakns for your help,
Michael3

pwatcher

Enlightened
"best" at what? lowest low? brightest high? simple to use? programmable? warmest (coolest) tint? most even beam shape? longest throw? largest flood?

starting to get the picture?

not trying to slam your question, but tell us more what your priorities are and how you will be using, and we'll be able to give more useful opinions.

still, I'd think the Nitecore Extreme Infinity Q5 should be on your short list - supposedly it's a great thrower and super bright for size.
and has a nice 10 lumen low too!

good luck! and do some reading on these forums!

in edit, I should have mentioned the quark mini 123 also!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire E1L. You can find one at your price point from the CPF Market Place or eBay.

However, your lumens expectation is very unrealistic for a single CR123. To get those output levels (300 OTF) you would need a custom-made light using an 16340 IMR cell. Runtime would be in the 10-15 minutes ballpark, though.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
PEAK LED solutions LOGAN- Cree XP-G R5- CR123 or RCR123 available in HA, Brass or SS.
$54.95 HA, $64.95 Brass, $69.95 SS- extra $10.00 for momentary switch if you need/want one- otherwise it is a single mode twistie.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For me best is not necessarily the brightest. I will suggest the LiteFlux LF3XT because of its variable brightness and programmability. It is not the brightest or smallest. Price, about $65.

Geoff

michael3

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your response I needed to start somewhere. I definitely like throw but you also need some side spill to light up the local area. so I guess what ever has a really good balance of these leaning towards more throw and also with out the front lumens of above 200. so that is as much detail as I can give whatever suggestions you all have is welcome.

michael3

Newly Enlightened
do you have any idea what the otf lumens on these peak lights?
Michael

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Nitecore Extreme, get the R2 version 220 lumens and great thrower, im not being funny but it beats the hell out my TK11, which is designed as a thrower, tint and beam wise.

carrot

Flashaholic
Quark Mini 123 Ti of course... one of the few lights you can get in Ti under $80 and also a fairly nice light to boot.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Another vote for the Extreme. Very bright for a single-cell 23 light and with a beam that I really like. Excellent interface too - tight for full blast and loose for user-adjustable level, and no getting strobed unless you want to.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark Mini 123 Ti of course... one of the few lights you can get in Ti under $80 and also a fairly nice light to boot.

+1. Probably brightest for a 123 of that size. Latest LED, using Titanium and under $80. What more can one ask for? Ok, maybe a clicky, but it'll not be a nice stubby size anymore.

michael3

Newly Enlightened
are these lights fully regulated with constant output? the nitecore and the others people are mentioning?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Michael

Not entirely sure- they tend to rate their product in candela- and everyone complains about the RMSK website. They also have a P7
123 light, when used with a Li-Ion 18500 and otional batt compartment- the standard is 18350, RCR123 or CR123A. With the 18500 they state about 550 OTF Lumens- so I am guessing with an AW IMR RCR123 that it might push 300 or so OTF lumens. But now you are over $80.00 ,but not much-but the build quality is excellent.

EverestHA3.jpg

Last edited:

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Michael

Curt R has a thread on the Peak Logan. A poster who ordered a level #8 speculated 300 lumens on RCR123, and 120 lumens on a CR123 primary. The disparity hasn't been explained yet. I'm looking for a 1x123 light also. For me it's between the Peak Logan #8 in SS, and the Lummi Mil that is yet to be released. I would have considered the Zebralight SC30 flashlight, but it's using XP-E, and I'd like to go XP-G if I'm going to get cool white color temp.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Yup, that's the one. The whole purpose of my looking for a 1x123 is to run on primaries and not having to worry about mismatched cells. Only one person has responded as having purchased a Peak Logan, and Curt hasn't responded to the difference in output primary vs. rechargeable. Don't know if this is one off, or design. I wait.

joe1512

Enlightened
If you are willing to back off the lumen requirement a bit, you can save a good deal of cash.

the itp A1 uses a CR123 or RCR123 and is rated at 190 lumens (using the CR123). It is around 25 bucks. You can get the stainless steel version for 32 bucks, minus 10 percent at goinggear which is rated at 203 lumens.

You will have to make the call if youd rather have titanium over stainless steel for some extra cash (65 bucks for a quark mini 123 ti), or would rather get a light that is driven a bit harder even.

Some RCR123 runs at 3.7V, vs the 3.0 volts of a primary CR123. As such, an itp A1 with an RCR123 would be a bit brighter than its rated lumens using a CR123. Note that some lights do not support RCR123s though.

Last edited:

michael3

Newly Enlightened
I once tried a quark 123 body and tail with the quark 123x2 head r2 it ran on turbo for about thirty minutes which to me was great does anyone know if the same could be done with new quark 123x2 xpg and if it would go longer than thirty minutes since it is supposed to be more efficient?

Latest posts