Princeton Tec Surge with NiMH's & high amp lamp?

Velcro

Enlightened
Princeton Tec Surge with NiMH\'s & high amp lamp?

Has anyone tried using 1800mah (or higher) NiMH's in the Surge along with a high amp lamp, such as the Carley 1.7A? I wanted to ask this for quite a while now, I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before. There have been several posts from people who don't like that the Surge loses it's intensity after a while, and that using rechargeables with the stock lamp does make for constant brightness but less beam intensity (more yellow). The combination of NiMH's and a high amp lamp could turn the Surge into a compact, economical to run, high intensity, linear brightness light (though I assume there would be some heat issues)?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Princeton Tec Surge with NiMH\'s & high amp lamp?

Would't a lower voltage bulb be the ticket to a whiter beam? (I don't know the voltage of the Carley 1.7 A bulb...)

btw, I like your avatar Velcro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

People report heat problems in the pin socket with the stock 1.1 Amp bulb. I've had a Surge reflector melt slightly at the center with a slight combined misalignment of bulb and reflector.

Based upon PT40 experience, I would expect that the reflector can tolerate the proximity of 1.2 A to 1.3 A and no more.

On the other hand, I am running a #807 4.8 V 1.6 A potted Carley in my PT400 (a double barrelled 4C light), and this seems to work fine except for the inability to get a tight spot. This bulb voltage drops too much with 4AA NiMHs, but works well with 4 C NiMH's.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

PT Surge reflector is made of very good quality polypropylene, much better than what I found in M*G or Energizer.
It holds well the high temperature of 8 W the stock bulb, and it has resisted to 15 W bulbs, but for 10 - 15 minutes at time, after which I found it was softening.

Anthony