Pyrex Lens for 6P?

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Can I retrofit a Pyrex lens on my 6P?
Does Surefire sell them?
Will it give me any advantages in terms of beam pattern or resistence to heat?
Thanks,
Lenny

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
I don't think it's possible, although I'm sure you can order a sheet of pyrex cut to the specifications on some chemical site and retrofit it...I don't believe Surefire sells Pyrex lens replacements, as the entire bezel must be replaced on a Pyrex light if the glass cracks or shatters. Pyrex gives you advantages in terms of about 7% more light transmission compared to Lexan (88% to 95%), so it will be a noticeable brightness increase, and Pyrex is resistant to heat, so it will not melt. I also believe it is far more scratch resistant. However, Lexan is resistant to impact and is pretty much indestructible.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Lenny, Welcome to CPF!

1) You can do whatever you want. Although unless your 6P has a plastic lens retaining ring, I think you'll find it rather difficult.

2) No, not that I'm aware of. The only lens replacement kits that I know of are Lexan for the Classic 6P, Classic 8X and Z32 bezels.

3) a) In general terms, the coated Pyrex lenses that SureFire use let through about 10% more visible light compared to Lexan

3) b) Pyrex is a type of glass. It will not melt when used as a SureFire flashlight lens.

I regret I do not have the SureFire part number for a Black "6P" bezel with Pyrex lens. I suggest you call SureFire Tech Support 800 828 8809 and ask them if they have it available.

Good Luck!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
just ask them for a black C2 bezel. the C2 in both the HA and black versions should come with a pyrex bezel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't the 2003 catalog say that Pyrex was being phased into all of the 6Ps?

pahl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GJW said:
Didn't the 2003 catalog say that Pyrex was being phased into all of the 6Ps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, page 50.

"The updated P6 is still precision machined from aerospace grade aluminum, with the addition of a tempered Pyrex window, an hexagonal anti-roll bezel, and a patented lock-out tailcap that allows the light to be disabled to prevent accicental activation."

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
You can get a standard size bezel with a Pyrex lens (PN#13715-11) for $28.11 directly through
customer service dept. 1-800-828-8809

6P Bezel w/pyrex in Black PN#13715-11
M2 Bezel w/pyrex in Black PN# 13586-11
G2 Bezel w/pyrex in Olive Drab PN# 14401-11
G2 Bezel w/pyrex in Black PN# 14401-1

I've changed out my G2s and 6Ps with the Pyrex bezels. Much better. I can't tell the 10% transmitivity with my eyes but I just feel better that I won't melt or scratch the lens. Although for about $5 you can change the lexan lens on the 6P so I don't know if it was cost effective.

RY3

Enlightened
As we are in the same subject, did anyone have their pyrex len broken from droping etc.?

Thanks

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
RY, yes it has been reported. in addition to that, the fact that lexan is much tougher and cheaper to replace is why i prefer lexan over pyrex in a flashlight, so long as they flashlight doesn't get hot enough to melt it. most 2-cell surefires on the LOLA don't usually produce enough heat to melt a lexan lens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
But you can only replace the "Classic" bezels that do not have retaining rings.

I've found that the thick tempered Pyrex lenses SureFire use can be broken - it usually takes more than a drop to concrete to break them though.

Accidents happen (just like if you scratched or damaged your Lexan lens) - SureFire will help you out in most situations I'm certain.

Lexan ages so fast - even just when used for EDC. I am totally confident in the tempered glass lenses SureFire use.

Al

RY3

Enlightened
Thanks Chamenos.

I think I still prefer Pyrex especially after I saw the melted lens on my friend's 9P.

I remember after SF release the G2Z, a member here show a picture of a broken Pyrex lens after he purposely abuse the G2Z and come to the conclusion that it is one tough flashlight.

I think some one also post recently that he drop his e2e from the roof without any damage to the Pyrex lens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
RY,

That was the G2Z-BK I was sent for evaluation and field-testing. I bought myself another one, and also have the G2Z-OD - they are great.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
About two to three months ago, I called SF customer service to ask for the part number for the pyrex head for the 6P. I was given the wrong part number, and thus ended up with the wrong product. After receiving the wrong part, I called SF again, and this time was told that pyrex bezels are not available in black, only HA. Grrr...

GeoffChan

Enlightened
I have a Pyrex lens that i bought from Surefire about 3 months back. The part number that i used was 13715-11. I have a spare one if anyone is interested.

Geoff

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i think any surefire with a P61 and brighter lamp assembly should have a pyrex lens. 2-cell surefires with a P60 and the E series lights should be fine with lexan. i know surefire will take care of me should i break a pyrex lens but there's still the downtime involved which i don't want to put up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif my M3 has a pyrex lens and i wouldn't have it any other way though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info folks.
I have an older 6P and a new one with the hex bezel.
From what you're saying, the new one should have the Pyrex lens? Correct?
How do I tell for sure?
Lenny

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Lenny: Just tap the lens with your fingernail. Lexan has a distinctly plastic sound that resonates, whereas Pyrex does not. Remember, Lexan = Plastic, Pyrex = Glass. Shouldn't be too hard to tell the difference.

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Just tapped both 6P's and they both sound like plastic.
So I called up Surefire to ask about a replacement lens.
"Sure we have them. But we also have a lifetime warranty. If anything goes wrong with the lens, send it in and we'll replace or fix it"
Very cool of them. Surprising that he didn't try to sell me something.
Gee, I hope I don't scratch the lens! : )
Lenny

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lenny, if the bezel of your light doesn't have a plastic retaining ring with notches, then it definitely is a lexan lens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i think you'll find that though lexan is not as scratch and heat resistant as pyrex, it is very rugged.