Maglite XL100 LED Flashlight Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Excellent review, good sir. I have never been a fan of Maglite and yet I am salivating over the thought of owning one of these.

wingnut86

Banned
Excellent review.

Would the bezel ring of the minimag LED screw in place of the head on this light? If it fits like that, it would make for a nice flood type light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, the thread pattern is different. However, you can unscrew the face cap of the XL100 and use it like that. The reflector does not come out.

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I just ordered one and will probably get a 3 C cell ML100 too when they come out .

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Does anyone know if you can use L91 Energizer Lithium Cells in this light? I'm wondering because it looks to be a great light for a glovebox.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Does anyone know if you can use L91 Energizer Lithium Cells in this light? I'm wondering because it looks to be a great light for a glovebox.
no it wont fit.
however L92 will, and yes you can use them, i use them in my xl100.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little side note that I forgot to mention. The LED module appears to be heatsinked. There is a solid metal ring around the entire LED module, which can be seen in the picture in the Performance section. The light does not appear to heat up much during use, but the longest that I have continuously ran the light was about 20 minutes.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if anyone wants to protect lens, it is easy done, you need to stick on protective film, either clear (like i pod protective cover...ect) or anti glare film, used on old palm pilots.
i like anti glare film, it also works as diffuser, and smoothens ringy beam.
i just did that to mine xl100, and i like results, beam is smoother, and lens is somewhat protected.
oh, the nickel (5 cents us), is a perfect size to use as a guide to cut out film.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea! :thumbsup:

I'm still not quite sure what material the window is though. I anticipated it to be plastic, but it seems like it could be glass (in which case, protection is usually not needed). I wiped it with a rough cloth (T-shirt) and it did not scratch. It doesn't quite sound like either material when I tap it though, so I emailed Maglite and am waiting for a response. I'm leaning more towards some sort of glass though.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
no it wont fit.
however L92 will, and yes you can use them, i use them in my xl100.

Oops, that is what I ment.
I was just making sure that it is safe to use Energizer Lithium cells in this light, as that is what I plan on doing (as long as it's safe).

DM51

Flashaholic
Very nice review of this interesting new Mag! Well laid out, well illustrated, and very informative. Thank you :) !

Moving it to the Reviews section.

mwaldron

Enlightened
This is probably covered elsewhere, but it should be in this thread as well.

Do we know which emitter is used in the XL100?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit of info for you guys...

I was on the phone with Maglite for a while today because I noticed a slight smudge on the inside of the plastic window and I wanted to see if I could take it apart and wipe it off. As I mentioned in the review, the head assembly can't be disassembled. I asked them about it, and they told me that the head assembly of the XL100 is similar to the Solitaire's (which I don't own, so I didn't make that connection), and it requires a tool to remove the reflector.

The repair kit isn't available yet, so for those that have an XL100...be careful with the plastic window!! They offered to fix it for me, but I declined the offer because the problem is small and I need the light to be in my pocket for EDC. ;)