Melted Bulb Holder With High ROP

acgriff

Newly Enlightened
Any solutions for a melted bulb holder in a mag high ROP? I have a D mag with 2 26650 LiMn driving a ROP high bulb in a stock switch tower. I need to run the light for approximately 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Unfortunately, the bulb holder melts after about 15 minutes. Has anyone else encountered this and found a solution? Maybe a bulb holder mod? I've installed a charger jack into the stock switch base so I don't want to convert to another switch setup.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kiu socket is for bi-pin bulbs.

There's download's MagCTower, but that's only for Mag C hosts.

I thought I remebered seeing someone had modded a D switch assembly with the metal stock of a MagCharger switch, but I can't find the thread.

Rommul

Enlightened
The Kiu socket is for bi-pin bulbs.

There's download's MagCTower, but that's only for Mag C hosts.

I thought I remebered seeing someone had modded a D switch assembly with the metal stock of a MagCharger switch, but I can't find the thread.

This is actually a good idea since he is using C-sized cells. He would need to find a modified host that was bored for his cells though.

mrartillery

Enlightened
This is actually a good idea since he is using C-sized cells. He would need to find a modified host that was bored for his cells though.

Right, use a 2 C cell mag with downloads' C tower, a brake cylinder hone will work just fine for removing enough material to make the batteries fit, or you could pick you up some IMR26500's which are shorter and dont require as much boring.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I know this doesn't help much, but I've done a few ROP-L's without bothering to swap any of the plastic parts out. The 3854-L is no slouch:

Stock Mag 2D_____________________________ 3854-L
BasicROP001-1.jpg
BasicROP003-1.jpg

BasicROP002-1.jpg
BasicROP006-1.jpg

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
I might have been quite to vague to the fact when i said "dont require as much boring", to clarify you can do this with a brake cylinder hone you just need one with a spring collar to tighten tension, and youll want it on highest possible tension. You'll also need a fast drill, i use a 1/3hp black and decker running wide @$$ open, and you will also need patience, as it takes a little while to shave out enough metal to make the IMR's slide in and out with ease, but when youre done its a neat setup.

And FYI, if you do try this make sure you buy a good hone, one with 3 arms instead of 2 and medium to coarse stones. I use medium stones on mine, but it would have made life easier if id have had some coarse stones. Also, the finish let inside is not rough or "sandpaper" feeling, rather its a smooth honed look.:cool: