wow postage can add up

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, just finished writing up my first WTS thread and thought that before I finish and post it up I better check postage options and costs and am glad I did:eek:. I don't know how some of you guys do the deals you do unless you added it on top of the deal. By the time I added the basic postage cost ($11) I might as well just keep the torch. Even worse for example on the 3 lights totaling $200 if i had to do 3 packages registered (havnt even looked at insured) take off $60+ doesnt leave that much. Anyway thats my rant/eye opener for now, back to the drawing board

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using USPS you can ship a light with insurance with tracking info in a flat rate box for around $8 as long as it fits in the small flat rate box. I have rarely found a light even with its original box that will not fit in it.

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Opps sorry I should have clarified I'm in Australia. It is cheaper to post around Oz but adds up for international postage.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess as long as what light you are getting in return is worth the shipping cost it is fine or if you just sell a light you factor that into its cost.

pugga

Newly Enlightened
Hey J,

Actually your WTS threads were a source of info on specfics for my first thread. It would be nice if 1 person took the whole lot but I see that doesn't happen very often.

Cheer Chris

Ps the sale was to fund a you know what lol

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Yup, it adds up, and not much you can do about it except try to combine items. When I list something to sell I generally factor in a bare minimum of $10 shipping cost (usually more) to send from Canada (including sending to someone within Canada, within province). Which is why I'd never bother to sell something worth less than maybe $30. Under that and there's so little point.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canada Post charges a fortune to ship INSIDE the country. CAD$7.27 for 2 PR 2 bulbs in a plastic CR123A case (to protect the flanges from being crushed) inside a padded envelope. And it was only going 20 blocks.

It cost me CAD$13+ to ship lights outside Canada. And Canada post does not offer Registered Mail nor Tracking for outside the country.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Canada Post charges a fortune to ship INSIDE the country. CAD$7.27 for 2 PR 2 bulbs in a plastic CR123A case (to protect the flanges from being crushed) inside a padded envelope. And it was only going 20 blocks.

It cost me CAD$13+ to ship lights outside Canada. And Canada post does not offer Registered Mail nor Tracking for outside the country.
The only international shipping I've done was shipping a few bulbs (or items of comparable size - lanyards or LiIon cells) a total of five times. I've been able to keep shipping to as low as US$3 to ship a very small parcel from the US to Australia and to Canada. My biggest problem is not going under the USPS size limit for a package, 3 inches x 5 inches - small packages sure end up weighing less.

southpier

Newly Enlightened
that's why i seldom complain about S&H charges when i place an order online. plus, i know what it costs to drive somewhere to purchase something. and online orders save me the slaesclerks' attitude, so it's well worth a few bucks to me.

i like to buy old magazines, but because they contain advertising, cannot be mailed "book rate" or "media rate" (United States) and a dozen or so magazines get heavy quick.