New to this with allot of questions about LED's for different uses

werearemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I hope that the general discussion is where this should go.

First, I love my 4D maglite's but they do not put out enough light so I have been looking to upgrade them.

I looked at the Tera Lux products, but want to know if there is something better (brighter) and if I should continue using 4D batteries or switch. I see many of the mod'd maglites use Li-On batteries to get longer run times.

Second, I like to cycle allot and have been looking at LED bike lights. Lights and Motion have some nice 900 lumen bike lights, but at $699 a light, I think I can do better, maybe making my own. (I am not sure what is involved in making your own LED light, but I am sure a rechargable batttery pack is the hardest part)

Third is automotive LED's, LED Headlights, warning lights, turn signals, back up lights, interior dome lights, Dash board replacement LED's for the bulbs, etc. Are there any manufacturers that make quality LED replacements? most of what I have seen at the local parts stores are junk.

I guess if everything is 12v then it would not be hard to develop my own led replacements for inside the car?

Thank you,

J

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at Malkoffdevices (.com). He makes some very nice drop ins for mag-lites, and others...

werearemyleds

Newly Enlightened
Hi John,

Thank you for the site, it looks like he has some nice drop in's for maglites and he is using quality cree led's.

I did not think that 260 lumens would be that bright.

It almost looks brighter than the 700 lumen tera lux drop in. I guess I would need to see them side by side to compare.

Are there any 1200 lumen drop in's or should I start looking at a new light all together at that point?

Thank you,

J