Cheaper Alternative to E2D LED?

vtxrecruiter

Newly Enlightened

After posting my D3 rebuild question and getting great advice, I started thinking about modernizing my 556 SBR to the current "New Hotness" in the gun world. Most of the high speed operators are going with a Larue dual E2D LED mount. It gives some serious advantages: TOTAL redundancy, INSTANT back up in case of failure or dead battery, and light weight compared to forend lights. (Actually a lot of us are not big on the light forends, as I and many others hate the "cool guy" grip)

SOOOO:
What is a good comparable alternative to the Surefire E2D LED in size and weight and reliability without bankrupting a poor soldier?????

I had thought about dual Fenix PD 30's but I like the rear "safety" ring on the SF that helps prevent accidental activation....

Any suggestions would be cool and appreciated...

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Fenix Tk11? They can be had for like $50.

Or if you want to go super cheap...

Romisen RC-A5-Q5? :)

vtxrecruiter

Newly Enlightened
I have a Tk-11 now on my SBR, I just thought that 2 would get bulky, so I was thinking SLIM like the PD 20 or PD 30 or similar SUB 1" body lights....

wingnut86

Banned
EagleTac P100C2 or P20C2.

A protective tailcap is available for the P20...

Last edited:

Mik

Newly Enlightened
PD30 also has too many settings IMO that could get set incorrectly by accident in your application. It's beam is not as much of a thrower as the E2D either. You don't need a flood on a rifle, so the E2D beam seems like it would be better.

I have some 2x cr123a Romisen 1 mode lights at home (slightly under $20) that have ok throw on them, but a smaller hot spot than the E2D. They don't have as nice of a button as the E2D and I also don't know if they would take the abuse that they will see by hanging onto the end of a rifle.

If you are military or LE and use this as your duty rifle, it's just not worth it to save some money. Go with the E2Ds.

I don't attach lights to guns, but realistically, how likely is a good quality LED flashlight to fail in this application?

vtxrecruiter

Newly Enlightened
I have never seen an E2D fail. 5.56 doesn't have enough recoil to harm a solid state device like an LED light. You are right about multi-mode lights, they are too easy to get in the wrong mode. Are the Romisen lights slim, and are they good quality??? The only time I have seen a light die on a rifle was one that got whacked into a door frame hard enough to kill the incandescent bulb (Surefire AR-15 handguard light). The knocking around OFF the rifle is harder on the light than the pipsqueek 5.56 recoil.
I will look into the Romisen lights, but maybe just start saving for 2 E2D's....

Mik

Newly Enlightened
I can measure my Romisen light tonight if you want, but I can tell you it's close to the E2D in thickness (just a little shorter).

The muzzle blast is the concern IMO, not so much the recoil. I guess it depends how close to the muzzle you are placing it, and what sort of brake you are using. If you are directing gasses backwards and towards the flashlight, I would think of that as abusive!

I sent a picture of both next to eachother and important dimensions via pm.

Last edited:

vtxrecruiter

Newly Enlightened
If you could measure your Romisen, that would be great! I am going to mount well behind the muzzle, I run a Vortex flash hider most of the time, so there is no blast coming back, and I also sometimes run my Gemtech Pirhana silencer on this rifle ( I just hate cleaning after using it ) and again there is no worry of blast.