Help me out here, please!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright guys (and girls) I know you are up to the job so, here's the deal...

My wife has been carrying a SF G2 around for about 8 months and has recently alleged that this light is too heavy for her to carry around in her purse for any length of time. She works alot of live events and also meets with contractors to view darkened properties in the city and I want her to have a good light with excellent output for emergency as well as defensive and utilitarian purposes. What on earth is lighter and as bright as a G2? As always your help is appreciated in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pahl

Enlightened
The G2 is only 4.1 oz
Does she really thinks that the G2 is to heavy or maybe just to big?

PaulW:
What does the L4 weight?

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
The only two Surefires lighter than a G2 (3.9oz) is an E2e (3.2oz, L4 is slightly more I think), or an E1e (2.2oz). If the E1e isn't bright enough for her, then the E2e would be the route to go. The E2e is also much smaller than the G2, which would make it fit more conveniently in a purse or pocket.

Unless someone knows about a smaller/lighter light than a E2e with the same output...I think the E2e/L4 is in a class of its own.

Comparison to E2, courtesy of Sean's Flashlight Site:

g2e2c.jpg

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
TSG,

You may decide to go on the cheap side, and buy her a Princeton Tec Rage. It doesn't compare directly to any SF, but is small, light and bright.

Anthony

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
She genuinely believes the G2 is too heavy to carry around. I think the weight change needs to be significant here so, the E1 is looking like a possibility but I don't like the sacrifice of brightness, this is my Baby were talking about and I want her to have the best! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Any other makes that might have an advantage?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pahl,

I can't find the weight of the L4 anywhere. It would appear that it's about equal to the G2.

But it is indeed smaller in diameter. I would imagine that the difference would be important in a small purse.

Paul

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Her purse is large and more like a backpack so size is less important than weight here. I doubt she wants something bigger than the G2 though, she has small hands. She likes the G2, but not it's weight. I knew this could turn out to be a tough one, that's why I ask the experts!

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC an LSH-P and I love mine but I think it's the wrong type of light for her, besides I am not sure of it's weight advantage, I'll have to compare!

FNG

Enlightened
She needs to get some muscles if she complains about the weight. Another option would be to get a belt or clip-on holster. Ripoffs CO-30 for nylon or CO-63 for padded.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend the E2e or L4. Maybe the same weight but in a smaller package. I'm leaning more towards the E2e because it will not reach 120F+ in extended use.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be suprised if you did a test with her to see if she could tell the difference if her purse did, or did not have the G2 in it. If she carries other things in her purse, like most women, my bet is she wouldn't be able to do anything other than guess. She would probably be upset if you questioned her on it,but I would ask her to do a blind test, does her purse have the light in it or not. Do two out of three and unless she has nothing else in her purse I would be surprised if she could tell the difference. In fact, if it's more than she can handle, I would suggest she use nothing, maybe a bic lighter would be good, it's really light. Don't get the wrong idea, I find a great deal of humor in the G2 being too heavy.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
HOw about the Scorpion? Not sure if it's weights less or not. I think it might be a bit smaller, but about the same brightness as the G2. It does also focus.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
hawkhkg11 said:
The only two Surefires lighter than a G2 (3.9oz) is an E2e (3.2oz, L4 is slightly more I think), or an E1e (2.2oz).

[/ QUOTE ]

Even going to an E1e would only save 1.7 oz, with about 1/2 the light output. I think she must be putting you on, if not get her an ARC AAA or Photon and let her decide which is more important, weight or amount of light output.

Just out of curiosity, what does her purse weigh without any flashlight?

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
Hmm, now that everyone's has mentioned it...the weight thing is kind of strange...especially since you say her purse is actually a "backpack", which would lead me to assume the backpack itself probably weighs more than the G2...strange dilemma...care to explain into more detail? I can't see any of the Surefire Personal lights to cause problems with weight...did she pour concrete into her G2?

richpalm

Banned
I think it's the universal consensus about women having much more EDC stuff than guys.... my wife's purse weighs a ton. I think there's a coupla houses, Greyhound buses etc. in there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

In my flashlight binge of the last month, I gave her an X5T (runtime) and just gave her a Scorpion. (eye scorcher) I think that's a good choice if a SF is too heavy.

She still doesn't understand the necessity of HO lights (she /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) but was fine with it when I mentioned the ability to temporarily blind Mr. Personality Dog down the street when she walks our Lucy and maybe gets bothered.

After all, a co-worker got me started with his Scorpion when all I had was a AAA M*g. No turning back now!

Rich

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a book of matches and a hearty chuckle. Do a test between her G2 and a book of matches but don't let her see what your putting in her backpack. This sounds more like a psychological issue than a weight issue.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me guys she knows what she's talking about and has carried the bag with and without the light to be sure she wants to cut down on weight there. Her line of work requires that she carry paperwork with her on many days. We work in NYC where your bag doesn't sit on a desk or in a car for most of the day but spends alot of time on your back during transit and sometimes even during quick meetings and walkthroughs and (some of her days can go 10-14 hours too), this goes for my day too and I know where she's coming from. Weight is everything. I carry much more in my bag but she is a girl and one with some back problems at that. Even small amounts of weight can mean the difference between being ready to do something else at the end of the day or dragging *** home and collapsing on the couch.

I don't think a 1W luxeon like the LS puts out the kind of throw she needs for inside a dark venue like a convention center or a long crawlspace she may need to illuminate. She carries a Photon II on her keys and sometimes uses my CMG Sonic now but those are just for small close in illumination jobs. The E1e seems OK but I'm not convinced that there isn't something brighter available. She doesn't need HAIII and all the bells and whistles but she does like a lanyard attachment point.