p1d q5 premium stolen! EDIT,replacement found!

houtex

Enlightened
I think the valet driver stole my p1d off my keychain this weekend :mecry:.I can't prove it but you know how you just "know". Well anyway it's gone and I need another. Don't laugh but,I liked the strobe function on this light (not all lights,just this one) anything comparable(sp) in size and function out there that I should consider befor tracking down another Fenix?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: p1d q5 premium stolen! need replacement

Quark Mini 123 in Ti is only $69. The aluminum one is nice too, but Ti for under $70 is a bargain.

sabre7

Enlightened

I find it best not to invest too much in a keychain light, and the OP's experience is one of the reasons why. Photon Freedoms, iTP EOS, Maratac AAA, E01s are about all the $$ I'm willing to potentially lose or damage while on my keys.

Quarks are a good replacement, or post an ad in WTB for another p1d. Maybe use a lobster claw clip and remove it when others have your keys or consider clip or holster carry.

PayBack

Enlightened

Quark Mini 123 in Ti is only $69. The aluminum one is nice too, but Ti for under $70 is a bargain.

+1. I have two regular Mini 123s and though the quality is not the same as the Fenix P1D which I also have, it's smaller and lighter with similar or better output. Only other difference being the Fenix throws better, but for a keychain light you're not likely fussed about throw.

Oh one thing of note though since you mentioned strobe... you have to cycle through the 3 brightness levels twice before reaching strobe, so if you want it in a hurry this isn't the light for you.

houtex

Enlightened

Reaching strobe in a hurry is no big beal,just like having strobe for fun you know?

What do you mean about the quality? Mini is worse or better? In finish or function?
I have an Amilite Cuty but I can't carry it. The head is soo loose that it either turns on in my pocket and one time came off!

carrot

Flashaholic

I personally like my Mini far more than I did like my P1D or P1... but maybe that's just me.

houtex

Enlightened

I find it best not to invest too much in a keychain light, and the OP's experience is one of the reasons why. Photon Freedoms, iTP EOS, Maratac AAA, E01s are about all the $$ I'm willing to potentially lose or damage while on my keys.

Quarks are a good replacement, or post an ad in WTB for another p1d. Maybe use a lobster claw clip and remove it when others have your keys or consider clip or holster carry.

I was in a pretty good mood after having dinner with the wife,so I wasn't paying attention,don't usually valet. After 10$ for parking and 5$ for tip,plus the P1D. They got me good.

paulr

Flashaholic

I've never had a P1D but I have a P1CE and have had an L0DCE so I think of the P1D as sort of a cross between those two. If you like the P1D that much, you should probably just buy another one. I also have a Quark Mini 123 and I don't think of it as an equivalent light. It has its own strengths and weaknesses and has generally been well-received here on CPF, but IMO it's not aimed at exactly the same set of tastes as the Fenix lights.

I would never give my key chain to a parking valet. Just take the car key off the chain and give them just that key.

Databyter

Enlightened

There are still a few stores (not the primary light ones) who list this for sale at reduced pricing. Do a google search.

And I'd call before pushing the button to make sure they really do have some of this discontinued item on clearance.

There is also a Fenix light that replaces this in the same form factor although the name escapes me.

I'm tempted to buy another myself before those obscure mom and pops really do run out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZFAKQ4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

I have had a P1, P1-CE, P1-CE Q2 LE, P1D, P1D-CE. Still like the Mini better. It is smaller, has more knurling, and has a nice wide hotspot. Also, I hated having the strobe and SOS on the P1D's, on the Mini they are nicely tucked away. I did really like the P1-CE Q2, though. But that is a relic of the past, as far as I am concerned.

houtex

Enlightened

Thanks for the link Databyter. I really haven't looked around yet to who has them in stock. I think I'll order at least 3. I like them that much.

Databyter

Enlightened

Thanks for the link Databyter. I really haven't looked around yet to who has them in stock. I think I'll order at least 3. I like them that much.
Bright guy and a few others list them as well, but I posted the Amazon link because they are pretty accurate about when they say "In Stock"

Tempted to get a few myself, but I'll let you go first heh.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally like my Mini far more than I did like my P1D or P1... but maybe that's just me.
That may put me over the edge, and replace my P1D

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have a neutral white mini with a clicky :naughty:

DSC01359Custom.jpg

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

The vast majority of "stolen" items I have blamed on the construction worker, the maid, the valet, the cable guy, etc have ended up actually being misplaced and found later.

Here's hoping that it fell off your keyring somewhere you can find it! :)

Databyter

Enlightened

Hey, thieves need good illumination tools too!.

We should share.

Bah, I was just trying on the hug a tree argument argument, it doesn't fit, hang em by their toes, then skin em, then put thier skin back on and hang em again.

houtex

Enlightened

The vast majority of "stolen" items I have blamed on the construction worker, the maid, the valet, the cable guy, etc have ended up actually being misplaced and found later.

Here's hoping that it fell off your keyring somewhere you can find it! :)
Theer's no way it could have fallen off. I had it on an extra strudy split ring. The light and the split ring are missing. I'm going to wait till monday before I order anything. There is a gunshow this weekend and many manufacturers ahave been represented lately(Jetbeam,Surefire,Olight,Streamlight and even some Dealextreme type lights) so I'll be able to try some out in person.

If I were ever able to find and prove who took it,I'd make them eat it:)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if the OP is particularly susceptible to PWM "strobing". If that is the case, he might want to stick with the Fenix replacement for the P1D.