What to do with old parts?

420light

Newly Enlightened
I have Four D Mags. 2 Modded and 2 Unmodded (as of yet).

Most you all here have way more than that which are modded. So what creative uses (if any) are there for the old metal bulb holder, bulbs, and the foam in the tail cap. :p

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened
I have Four D Mags. 2 Modded and 2 Unmodded (as of yet).

Most you all here have way more than that which are modded. So what creative uses (if any) are there for the old metal bulb holder, bulbs, and the foam in the tail cap. :p

The foam in the tailcap might still be useful for future incandescent mods, I carry a spare 1185 in one of mine for instance.

Extra bulbs are appreciated by folks who use the mag's stock which alot still do.

Extra bulb holders, if you mean switches they can be useful for alot of mods for LED's and Incandescent if cut down and resistance fixed (depending on need).

Trust me if you offered them up as spare parts interested pays shipping I'd be willing to bet someone would bite.

The Dane

Enlightened
The foam in the tailcap might still be useful for future incandescent mods, I carry a spare 1185 in one of mine for instance.

Extra bulbs are appreciated by folks who use the mag's stock which alot still do.

Extra bulb holders, if you mean switches they can be useful for alot of mods for LED's and Incandescent if cut down and resistance fixed (depending on need).

Trust me if you offered them up as spare parts interested pays shipping I'd be willing to bet someone would bite.

And then again maybe not :shrug:
Tried but no takers:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/260286

mrartillery

Enlightened
Stock reflectors and lens' get trashed :hahaha:

I do keep the spare bulb holders, springs and spring caps incase i need them for my ROP later on down the road. I do keep the foam in a couple of my lights for storing a extra bulb, like the 1185 and 1111.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The springs can be used for center springs on P60 drop-ins and SF TH lamp towers.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe we could expand the question on old parts in general ;). I have many old Crees lying around and don't know what to do with it.

rayman

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use one as a testing LED. Mount it on a chunk of metal and solder leads to it. Now you can test things like drivers for go/no-go function, drive current, etc before expending the effort to install parts in an actual build. Just make sure that the connections are secure so that the driver doesn't suddenly see an open load and fry itself because a connection popped loose.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Maybe we could expand the question on old parts in general ;). I have many old Crees lying around and don't know what to do with it.

rayman

Make a worklight/desklight out of them. No need for optics, pure flood is fine, the more LEDs you have the more efficient the array will be... (at least, until you get down to approx. 50mA or so to each LED, efficiency might drop at some point). Use a cheap single mode driver if you want this to be portable and used with batteries. Not sure what to do for a driver if you want to be able to plug it into an outlet though... let me know if you figure that part out. :wave: