Inova X5 aka Niteize quality okay?

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of X5's and they still are my favorite EDC lights. Over and over again I've seen all kinds of companies develop a cutting edge product only to sell out and the new owner immediate cheapen the line or move manufacturing to the other side of the planet. My first experience with this in LED lights was with CMG. Remember those guys? Sold to Gerber. I a first gen and 2nd gen CMG Infinity. Are they for sale? Nope! Just wonder about opinions on the changeover from Emisive. My other question is, can I still by an "original" X5 at Target or has the era ended forever? Sorry to seem so gloom and doom about it. I've just seen this happen so many times in the US.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the thread Inova X5 has been updated.

The newest X5 is a lot brighter than the prior generations and I am quite fond of it.

However, I had to return several of them to Target. They failed within the first month of ownership. Though I like the one I have now, I bought it only a few weeks ago and am using it often to see if it fails. My 3 earlier version X5s keep on working fine.

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I read the thread - good thread - but I was wondering about thoughts of whether this is going to last, like almost too good to be true for a $35 light! I didn't notice if anyone said if they're still made in the US? More times than not, company buyouts = significant changes.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. like almost too good to be true for a $35 light! I didn't notice if anyone said if they're still made in the US? ...

Target's price around here was about $27 for the Inova X5, though there is currently a clearance sale. The instructions say "assembled in USA."

The Nite-Ize acquisition was Feb. 1, just a few weeks ago. The X5s on Target shelves were made before then.