G2 Question

5Sport

Enlightened
My G-2 which was an incan, and is now a LED, has a plastic lens. Is that normal for these lights? Or is this light just that old?

Is it worth changing to a glass lens?

My P6 came with a plastic lens and Surefire upgraded it to a new bezel with a glass lens.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: G-2 Question

Incan G2 does come with a Lexan lens(so do a lot of the new bezels on aluminum models that claim to use Pyrex for some reason). Since they get scratched up easily, I've always changed them to a UCL(ultra-clear lens) from flashlightlens.com. I believe Lighthound.com also has them. There are lens removal tools available, but a pair of needlenose pliers has always worked for me on the retaining rings that have notches.
Mine was the last post in this old thread, and the before/after pics are still working:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137882

5Sport

Enlightened

Thanks, so a couple of questions.

Will the Surefire LED melt the lexan lens? If so, why do they list it as a drop in replacement for teh G-2?

Which is the best/strongest replacement lens for teh G-2

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, it won't melt it. You might be able to get a borofloat lens that is similar to Pyrex, but has a bit less light transmission than a UCL, and I'm not certain if it's available in the proper size without being special ordered. Been awhile since I've looked at the options on flashlightlens.com.
That might be a little more durable than a UCL, though I'm not sure about that(probably scratches less). It's main advantage is its ability to handle higher temperatures, which isn't a concern for your application.

damn_hammer

Enlightened

They might explain whey the Surefire Z44 Al bezel I bought of an auction site appears to have a lexan lens. Contrary to the buyers description of Pyrex. Perhaps it was from a G2L, and not 6PL.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Incan G2 does come with a Lexan lens(so do a lot of the new bezels on aluminum models that claim to use Pyrex for some reason).
I was referring to the 6PL, Z2L, and that is also true of the G2ZL.