Police Academy = head spinning from light choices

Yoseff

Newly Enlightened
So I need a light for a belt holster, I need something that will work for the academy (about anything) but that I will not be replacing in a few months and that will work for other activities (camping,fishing, etc).

While all I hear is sf, I do some research and like the eagle tac t100c2, do some more research and get into the eagle tac t20c2, fenix tk11, olight m20 warrior, jetbeam jet III m whirlwind and now have no idea what I want... (I also like the idea of upgrading a sf 6p but still don't understand it all and think these new lights will out perform it, like I said, don't understand and think...)

I really like the idea of those lights that drop to a low (under 20 lum) but really don't know how much I'd use it real world. Anyone else been through this that can lend some advise? Thanks

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Those are all good lights, and I think you'll have a hard time going wrong with any of them. I'm guessing that any one of them would serve you well as a duty light.

One advantage of the Surefire 6P is that there are a number of 3rd party drop-ins for it (a feature we like to call "lego"ing around here.) In other words, when brighter LEDs come out, you can just swap out the old module and drop in a new one with latest and greatest LED. Of course, you want a bright light right now, and you're correct that Surefire's standard P60 (or P60L) bulb is dimmer than the other lights you're looking at. However, the SF 6P is cheaper than those other lights to start with, so you could easily replace its standard bulb with something like a Malkoff Devices M60, which would give you a rock solid 200+ lumens and offer easy upgradeability in the future. The total cost for this setup would be about $20-$30 more than, say, an M20.

As for having a "low" level, don't forget that you might be writing reports or tickets at night, and using 200 lumens for that sort of activitiy will be waaaay too uncomfortable. If you're using the flashlight for any close-up work, you'll want a lower level.

- FITP

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
I really like the idea of those lights that drop to a low (under 20 lum) but really don't know how much I'd use it real world. Anyone else been through this that can lend some advise? Thanks

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Finished the police academy, looking for a job (not a good time to get hired!). I want a light that will serve me well while working, but also as an EDC. I'm looking at 1xAA lights, but they may probably be smaller than you need. They would make good backup lights though.

You can check out the thread I made about it (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/263130)

I do think that a low low is important because it won't kill your night vision! Looking at papers in the car or writing citations with just the required amount of light, using the light in the tent while camping... Those situations are always better with a really low amount of light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Get the Surefire 6P. It will serve you for years to come, and a high quality drop-in is a much cheaper upgrade than getting a quality light. A Surefire holster (speed, nylon, or leather, your choice) will compliment it nicely.

Right now the Malkoff M61 is the hot drop-in to have, with a max output of 300 lumens and averaging about 260 over the lifespan of the batteries, with a bit over 2 hours of runtime.

You will want to pair it with a smaller light that is capable of lower output, either CR123 or AA, whatever you are more comfortable with, and for that I recommend a Surefire E1B, Quark 123, or Quark AA.

msap

Newly Enlightened
My off duty lights are different than duty lights. Off duty, you want something small and unobtrusive yet bright enough to get the job done (whatever that may be).

For a duty light you want to think in terms of primary light and backup lights. For instance, I carry a SF M2 with a Malkoff M61 drop in for my primary light ie. vehicle stops, search light etc. I also have a SF x300 on my pistol and then I carry a SF E2DL in my left pants pocket. The E2DL has a high/low and can be used if my M2 batteries die unexpectedly or I can use the low setting when I want to be more discrete with my light.

I've been on the job for 10yrs and I've gone through many different lights for different reasons. I would imagine you will do the same until you figure out what works best for you. As far as finding the one light that meets your needs on and off duty? That would be hard to do.

As far as manufacturers go....SF is a top pick because of their warranty and customer service. Not to mention, you get a 20% LE discount if you order direct from SF. Also, SF are built tough and they have honest lumen ratings. I'll leave you with this last bit of advice....brighter is not always better when it comes to specific applications of lights. Consider doing a building search for an armed subject, dynamic entry to a residence or building etc....a 300 lumen light will bounce off walls and blind you. Different lights for diffrent tasks is the best way to go. Also consider your AO. Do you work in an urban setting? Do you work out in the country where open fields and wooded areas are common? All things to consider. For military and LE work lights are tools (not hobby). All the neet UI that some lights have are just that....neat. Don't get something that will make you fumble around when fine motor skills go out the window.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
My advice is to go one of two ways.

Surefire's 6P is kind of the "standard" in recent years when it comes to belt-carried personal light. There are a ton of accessories designed for it in terms of belt holsters, weapons mounts, etc. That's what's going for that. Resist the temptation to drop in some monster upgrade because you're going to need a 60ish lumens output much of the time (read on...).

The other direction is to take advantage of the upgrades in LEDs to get yourself a light that will serve dual purposes with at least two primary modes: the approximately 60 lumen (or slightly less) setting for building searches and general indoor use and a "turbo mode" for use outdoors.

What you don't want to do is think you're the biggest and baddest guy on the shift because you've got a little light that will output 300+ lumens on your belt and blind everyone the first time you deploy it in an average size room with white or off-white walls. It also tends to irritate your co-workers around you when backsplatter illuminates them as if you had turned on a hundred watt lightbulb on the ceiling.

If your light of choice comes with a "moonlight" mode of 5-15 lumens for writing and up-close work, all the better. The 60-lumen and MAX settings are the two you'll use most often as a cop/security type role.

John

ToNIX

Enlightened

Surefire's 6P is kind of the "standard" in recent years when it comes to belt-carried personal light. There are a ton of accessories designed for it in terms of belt holsters, weapons mounts, etc. That's what's going for that. Resist the temptation to drop in some monster upgrade because you're going to need a 60ish lumens output much of the time (read on...).

The other direction is to take advantage of the upgrades in LEDs to get yourself a light that will serve dual purposes with at least two primary modes: the approximately 60 lumen (or slightly less) setting for building searches and general indoor use and a "turbo mode" for use outdoors.

What you don't want to do is think you're the biggest and baddest guy on the shift because you've got a little light that will output 300+ lumens on your belt and blind everyone the first time you deploy it in an average size room with white or off-white walls. It also tends to irritate your co-workers around you when backsplatter illuminates them as if you had turned on a hundred watt lightbulb on the ceiling.

If your light of choice comes with a "moonlight" mode of 5-15 lumens for writing and up-close work, all the better. The 60-lumen and MAX settings are the two you'll use most often as a cop/security type role.

John

Thread hijack, but really interesting read! Thanks for the infos :D

Brigadier

Enlightened

John

Sounds like the perfect reason to get a Jet-III M.

5Sport

Enlightened
The Surefire 6P is great for a backup light, and you can upgrade the LED like I did. For a primary light, you should stick with a rechargeable mag or my preference, a Streamlight SL20-X. It has the low led mode I believe. I only have the SL20. Your light is not only for illumination, but it is a defensive/striking tool.

Viper715

Enlightened
Here is my $.02 worth of info. I have been a officer for pushing near 10 years now. I have been through and tried many many lights. I started with Surefire and they are a great light one of the best. I suggest the Z2 when being paired with a gun. A 6P is a very nice choice as well. If you go the Surefire way have someone bore it for 18mm cells for better runtime. For a drop in there is none better than a Malkoff drop in.

Now after all my trials and test I have came not to use my Surefires on my duty belt> i have found what I think is better than a 6P. The Malkoff MD2 with the 2 mode bezel switch. It is very bright and you have the option for a lower level without it getting in the way. I then have it paired with a smaller light of choice. Sometimes a 4Sevens 123 or AA on Lithium Ion or a E1B or some other similar light depending on my mood but since the MD2 came out my 6P and Z2 have taken a back seat and are now on glove box and night stand duty.

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
I recommend two lights and the one on your gun doesn't count as it is only used for something you might want to shoot and never as a light alone.

You need a small light that stays on your belt. A stinger size or 6 or 9P is a good light (i use a 9P and M60) and a larger light. I prefer a rechargeable that I can top off when I get back to my car, I still use a mag-charger that is 20 years old, but there are many better choices now. A light is always in your hand on night shift and it frequently serves as a multi tool, so buy a quality one and you will have it for your career. Most of the big names are guaranteed for life and they mean it. I have sent 20 year old streamlights (old swat lights) with bad switches that were repaired to questions asked. Even a poly stinger that a dog chewed up, again no questions asked. So choose wisely.

The warmer tones are better as they tend to help the eye pick up differences more easily. I don't like rechargeable that you have to take the batteries out. But hey, I am in year 25.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice from many. Talk to your fellow vets and see what they are running.

I second the two lights. If you work out of a vehicle, one light on the belt with primary batteries and another larger rechargeable as the workhorse.

The larger light also works well raking out glass from broken windows (building & car) or breaking glass outright. It serves as a defensive weapon as well.

You have many options for the belt light. Nothing larger than around 3 CR123 celled Surefire-sized 6P or 9P type lights. Use primaries. It's a backup light when the larger workhorse light is with you. So it may ride on your belt for periods of time without you using it. It will become your primary light when you have to bail out of the car quickly for a foot chase (you will!), your larger workhorse light goes down due to a depleted battery or broken bulb, your larger light fell out of a holster/back pocket without you noticing after jumping some fences in the dark because it landed in a flowerbed and made no noise when it hit, or landed in a muddy puddle and now won't work, or you left it on the table at the diner! Using CR123 primaries will ensure you have your belt mounted backup light ready to go.

P26 type LED drop-ins (for lights like the 6P/9P) provide the same brightness on 2 or 3 CR123 cells. 3 cells give you a longer runtime.

Tried and true workhorse lights that dominate LE work are all rechargeables. Streamlight (Stinger LED & SL series) and Mag's Magcharger. The Surefire rechargeables fit this role but their offerings (8AX/NX, 9 series and 10X) are seen less frequently due to initial cost, bulb replacement cost and dated technologically.

If you work foot patrol regularly, make your larger light something like a Streamlight Stinger LED sized light that fits on your belt and carry something else in a small pouch on your belt or in your pants pocket like a thin bright two cell CR123 light. Thin-bodied like an E series LED Surefire or similar type light.

If you have to write reports in the field get yourself a low level small light dedicated for that.

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
Jet III M or Olight M20. Both are fantastic, reliable and versatile. Why these over the Eagletac or Fenix? Because you will drop your light many times and ding it many more - and the stainless steel bezels on these two lights will hold up to the abuse better than the others (the Jet III M has SS on BOTH ends). That said, the Eagle Tac T100c2 and Fenix TK11 are good lights also. I'd stay away from the Eagletac T20C2 as its strobe function has disappointed a lot of people (including one of my buddies who regrets he purchased it).

Run any of these lights on 18650 lithium ion rechargeables (I'd recommend buying three) and have some primary CR123s in your patrol bag as backup.

18650s: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info...d=203&osCsid=ba43dcbceefad262c396547c151ffc30

charger: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info...d=207&osCsid=ba43dcbceefad262c396547c151ffc30

car adapter: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info...d=209&osCsid=ba43dcbceefad262c396547c151ffc30

discount code for the above: cpf8

Buy from a reputable seller like Tacticalleds.com (owned by two Allentown, PA police officers), 4Sevens.com or Bugoutgear USA and you'll be set. These guys will stand behind their products if you have any trouble.

And by the way - you will use the lower modes more than you think...

Be safe.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Pelican 7060 would be a good choice? It's only one mode though, but they offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty. They are also rechargable with a docking station and a 12VDC plug in charger.

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I have been on 9 years and have been through countless lights. My current setup.....
Primary-Olight M30
Cargo pocket backup-Nitecore extreme
In car backup-Pelican 7060
Tac vest-Jet III M
Weaponlight- SF X300
Search light-Wolf eyes boxer 24w(soon Olight SR90!!!!)

I used a SF Z2 as my primary for years. Currently waiting for the Malkoff M61 and that might put the Z2 right back on my belt!!!
I have also used the SF U2 as my primary duty light. This is a great light but wanted something a little more throwy.

It really doesn't matter which light you get, you will have them all soon enough if you stick around here :nana: they are all good!!!!

Last edited: