Decisions, decisions. NDI or D10?

NDI or D10?

• Total voters

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
After doing tons and tons of research I narrowed my search for my first good flashlight. I decided on the LiteFlux LF5XT, until I found out they're not available anymore. :( So now I'm trying to decide between the Nitecore Defender Infinity and the D10. It will be used as my EDC as well as for camping, hiking, shooting, etc. Is either one of them sturdier or more impact resistant than the other? What are your thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if the LF5XT will ever make another appearance?

KuKu427

Enlightened
Yes, the 5XT is being revamped right now. I will make an appearance soon.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grab my D10 most often,I like the size and UI,its easy to get any level of light quickly.I do Have the Golden Dragon led,smoother beam.I think the clip is excellent and I was able to get it with a trit in the tailcap.The light has proved reliable ,never a glitch.Runs on any AA you have,I usally run a 14599 lion.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't get many answers here, as teh lights are really different.

The NDI is "normal", which means it has a clicky, a fixed full brightness modus and a programmable modus. Can't go wrong with this one, it is bright, it is nice.

The D10 however is special with its piston drive. If you want it to perform really good, you first clean and relube it. Yu may experience contact problems and have to take off the brass ring and clean it. The piston may collect dirt and get sticky. What you get if it works is a very special UI, teh whole light is a philosophy of its own.

I own one NDIS, never use it and I've got a collection of Nitecore PD lights, D10 and EX10, I cherish them because I really like them. The D10 is the flashaholics' light, the NDI is for the normal user who wants a flashlight hat performs! :hitit:

looky

Newly Enlightened
Get the D10. It is a no-brainer. The UI is the one of the best I have ever used and I reach for it more than any other light.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno squat about the other light but I LOVE my D10 AND it's super easy to use :)

jslappa

Enlightened
I've got to give the nod to the D10. It would be crazy of me to attempt to convince anyone that the D10 is better than the NDI. I'm certainly not an authority on the D10/EX10, but I love the UI so much I own no less than 21 of them, and only one D10 is the SP.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
21?!

Damn dude! LOVE Is not the word here....STALKING Nitecore is more like it..

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've got to give the nod to the D10. It would be crazy of me to attempt to convince anyone that the D10 is better than the NDI. I'm certainly not an authority on the D10/EX10, but I love the UI so much I own no less than 21 of them, and only one D10 is the SP.
You belong on CPF!!! :crackup:

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
You're in a good position here; as they are both excellent lights and chances are you'll be happy with either one of them.

Personally for EDC I tend to take my D10's more often than my NDI but not because the NDI is any less of a light.

In my case it has to do with the method of carry I use the most. Which is clipped on. When I'm pocket carrying the NDI fits better.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for NDI.
I vote harder for D10. :nana:

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up ordering one of the LiteFlux lf2xt's as my first "good" flashlight. I gather that I will be getting the D10 for my birthday this year from my girlfriend. :twothumbs Looking forward to learning more here on the forums.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD Nitecore series, over all D10, is something special for me. I have a few (Q5, R2, SP, camo...) and still wanting more - I envy Zeruel's collection :naughty:.

I cannot say the same about the NDI.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I carried a NDI every day for less than a month before problems started popping up.

Granted, my lights aren't safe queens, but a good light should last a long while.

After about four months, I quit carrying it because it was utterly unreliable and I attribute the major problems to poor construction quality. The electronics inside are also screwed up, signaling weak battery inappropriately and on a really good instant, it only put out 60-90 lumens.

Won't ever buy another and I'll steer my students away from them as well.

John

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I've had both, and I traded the NDI away. The D10 is a bit smaller, IIRC. But the big thing is that the user interface was much simpler and functional for my needs. The D10 call tail-stand, and works both as a pseudo-clicky and a twisty. With the NDI, I think you had to go through a complicated twist and click maneuver to change modes or options.

The D10 is simpler, functional and pretty darn rugged. Great little light.

-- Frank