Energizer Hard Case Professional LED Headlight

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Anybody get this from woot a couple of weeks ago? Not sure if its really 100 lumens.

Overall a Decent light for the money, but one problem is the difusser. I kept noticing light hitting my eye when swiveling downward. I looked in the mirror and sure enough there was a small beam of light hitting my face and eye area. This is from the diffuser handle which protrudes into the main beam and refracts it into your face at certain angles.

I gues you can dremel off some of the handle or put some electrical tape on it, but imo its a poor design, maybe thats why it was so cheap

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately not 100lm and definately annoying light from diffuser handle. It is what it is though, and I figure the diffuse will be used 95% of the time anyway.

Just played with the light a little but looking forward to a "field test" next time I go for a run. My hopes are high as its decently bright with a very throwy beam or a balanced difused pattern. Any thoughts on water resistance? Mine looks solid, but I'm not going to test it.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I wouldn't dunk it, but it looks like it can stand up to some light rain.

Gonna try some electrical tape on the diffuser handle, think it should eliminate glare.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yeah I couldn't resist ordering one even though I already have a couple of headlamps. It arrived and looks like a good deal for the 18 bucks or whatever it was. The packaging (hard plastic shell) is impressive though useless. I haven't opened it yet and might not do so until I actually want to use it. That keeps open the possibility of giving it to someone or BST'ing it as a new light.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine the other day, and it is definitely not 100 lumens out the front. I tested it at 61 lumens out the front in my homemade lightbox. For reference, the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon tests at 41 and the Fenix Quark R5 tests at 206.

It isn't as bright as I was expecting, but I still like it quite a bit (especially for $21 each shipped).

I called Energizer today and asked if it was safe to use L91 lithium cells, and they said it was fine. Just thought I would mention it.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I got mine the other day, and it is definitely not 100 lumens out the front. I tested it at 61 lumens out the front in my homemade lightbox. For reference, the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon tests at 41 and the Fenix Quark R5 tests at 206.

It isn't as bright as I was expecting, but I still like it quite a bit (especially for $21 each shipped).

I called Energizer today and asked if it was safe to use L91 lithium cells, and they said it was fine. Just thought I would mention it.

I'm comparing it with the other good deal I got recently Petzl tikka plus 2 which is 50 lumens....energizer definenly 10-20 lumens brighter and warmer and uglier with weird artifacts as well. should really be able to kill the Petzl and pettzl takes 3 AAA as oppossed to this heavy 3XAA beast, but its not much brighter , but I do like the multimodes and colors

Let me know if the lithiums are brighter.

Last edited:

rontaki

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine a few days ago.

Observations:
They are probably not 100 lumen IMHO either. But it is bright, throws a decent beam. Two-level control. Not sure if,or how well it is regulated.

Diffuser - great addition to change from spot to fill light. Its nice the way it slides 'n hides. The tab is a goof, channeling light right into the upper edges of my glasses lenses. I used a black pigmented ink pen to coat the tab, but might need to use an epoxy paint or such for durability. Maybe black heat shrink?

The red and green lights - Nice to have and use when low-level is wanted. There is hole in the middle of the green LED's beam. The diffuser smooths that all over when used, and provides a nice fill for either color. Can only have one or the other color on, unfortunately.

The reflector's mirroring is mottled on some parts, so there is light loss there, no doubt.

This light is a bit kludgy on my head, compared to my smaller and lighter 3-AAA headlamps. I haven't yet found my comfort point with it.

The buttons work well and have a nice feel. Unintended switch button activation is too easy, beware.

Feels well-made and very durable. Said to be impact-resistant.

Just a day before buying these, I was working on the PC and even with my 4-LED Petzl and fresh batts, I needed a good bright spot. Next time, I'm ready!

For under $20 from Woot, these were a great deal. I keep on feeling that two were not enough at this price. :thumbsup:

Ron

Last edited:

pilote

Newly Enlightened
i hit that headlamp...first headlamp i've ever bought.

my main concern with it was the battery box in the back. i can see me using this with me on my back working on the car; would the battery box hurt with my head down? i don't know yet...camping and fishing at night; this will be useful...

it's not "malkoff bright", but it's definitely bright enough, even with the diffuser up...red LED will be handy, the green i doubt it...it's "heavy", but it really isn't bad to wear at all...

gonna try it on the dog, but i fear he may not like it...

overall the quality appears very good and the price was very right; i would not have bought one at $30+...

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a great unit.
Yes electrical tape on the diffuser lip will eliminate the spill into the eye.

hopkins

Enlightened
This looks to be a 'What Were They Thinking?" kind of defect with the LED light
refracted into the eye by the tab on the diffuser.

10ga6q9.jpg

N4aeq

Newly Enlightened
Whats the hardcase for? once you take the headlamp out the case is useless. Anyway mine is close to 100L or 75 anyway. I am surprised it works, Woot put in in a box with no packing &
the box was busted with the headlamp sticking through the cracks, inside the battery box it looks like someone used a hot sodering iorn and smeared the plastic.
After using it for a dark star gazing session, I will have to say its worth the money (Woots)
price anyway.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed the Woot, but got a few days later on Buy.com for a few bucks more. Haven't received it yet. I bought this because it uses the same honeycomb refracting lens as the ROV 1AA, which works great. It sounds like the Energizer has the same probelm as the ROV, with the edge of the honeycomb lens shining light into the yes. I solved that long ago on the ROV by painting the edge of the lens with black lacquer paint. Problem solved.

Battery pack on the back of the Energizer will put a damper on working under car or simply resting head on pillow to read. That is where the ROV works well due to no battery pack on rear. But having to pop a new cell in every two hours gets tedious fast. So the ROV has poor battery life and great comfort, and the Energizer has better battery life but a big bump on the back, so not sure which one will get more use. At least they both have that beautiful, wide smooth flood, and that's what I bought both for.

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pic! I tried mine out and it is identical. It's kind of an artifact happy little light and the regular beam is ringy looking to me and I'm not that picky. If either the red or green is useful, I'll keep it around. It's kinda lame they use 5mm's instead of an XR-E but whatever.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some from Buy.com and really like them. I will use them almost exclusively with the diffuser, so the "lip" issue is not a big deal to me. Definitely a serious design flaw though.

A good deal for $25, even better if you were able to get them from Woot.

Peter

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will use them almost exclusively with the diffuser, so the "lip" issue is not a big deal to me. Definitely a serious design flaw though.

So, you're saying the light beaming down into the eyes is only a problem when in spot mode? I'm in the same boat as you, in that I bought this light for the luscious honeycomb diffuser, not as a thrower. My package arrived from Buy.com tonight, but sadly had to go to work, and here I am. So won't have any opinion 'till later.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. With the diffuser in the up (on) position, the lip is at the top of the headlamp. I will still black them out though, for the rare occasion that I am using the light without the diffuser.

Peter

So, you're saying the light beaming down into the eyes is only a problem when in spot mode? I'm in the same boat as you, in that I bought this light for the luscious honeycomb diffuser, not as a thrower. My package arrived from Buy.com tonight, but sadly had to go to work, and here I am. So won't have any opinion 'till later.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I put electrical tape on the tab and was able to stop the glare, easy fix, still stupid design.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went out jogging last night with mine. All in all not terribly impressed. With the diffuser in place, I see no reason to grab the energizer over my Zebra and with it in spot mode, there is very little spill and, of course, the light-in-eye issue.

Still, for the price not a bad light, might be a good 1 lamp does all type of thing.

cbubu

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light few days ago and the "the tab on the diffuser" was painted out of the box!
Not a bad light :sssh:
Best Regards :)
img0148cm.jpg

Latest posts