2D bulb in 3D light-When will it blow up?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a 5W Cyan Modded M*g 2D. The 2D replacement bulb was still in the end cap. I got my 10 year old M*g 3D that hasn't been used in seven years and put the new 2C bulb in it. Boy is it white and bright. Well, white for an incandescent. Compared to my Blaster V it's a little yellow looking but it's still pretty darn bright...nothing like I remember it. I've only left it on for 10 second spurts feeling certain it's going to blow. The base of the bulb has "Mag 2D HK" on it.

So, can I get an estimate on how long I can leave it on without blowing it?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A very good question.

I think most bulbs blow due to the recovery that batteries go through. IE: They blow up on the initial voltage spike. I could be wrong.

I have several old Sam's Choice 3D lights from some years ago. One of them was uncommonly bright. I never thought much about it, and one day I switched it on (this was maybe 2 to 3 years as it was but never used much) and it poofed. I pulled it out and was suprised to find a KPR102 in there. I installed another 102 and it lasted until I switched the light on.

I was running one M*g 2D with 3C and it was mighty bright, but didn't last very long.

The latest thing I did was burn a 3cell lamp for a couple hours and knocked the cells down to about 1.28v on my DVM and have installed a 2cell bulb in that light. It hasn't blown up yet in several switch-ons, but I won't EVEN trust it if I absolutely need light!

For that I will use my Electrolumens 3D 1W LS light! Because I KNOW it will work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
If you want a brighter light in your Mag go to their website......they have new xeonon bulbs for their d-sized lights.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I did while waiting for a response:

I ran it for 3 minutes and let it rest for 15 minutes then I did that same thing again. No problem.

The batteries had never been used before but they were purchased 1 year ago.

I think you guys are right. It is fresh batteries or freshly reconstituted batteries that flash (thanks for the correct term) the bulbs.

Certainly, I'm killing the life expectancy of the bulb but if I'm using it and it dies, not flashes, then I can replace it without much concern because the batteries have been used.

I wanted to thank you three and many other CPFers (can't name all of them)because by the knowledge I've gained here I've just resurected a light that is now worth using. Just a little understanding and I have another good light. I was happy with this light a decade ago, orange as it was. Now I'm happy to use it again.

For my next trick I'm going to continue to pay close attention to the incan-M*g-Mods that people are building and hopefully use those ideas to re-furb this again to make a great light.

Man. What just a little knowledge can do.

*edited to respond to THEluminator*

Thanks, THEluminator. It would be interesting to see what a 2D zenon would do in the same scenario.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poof.

I turned it off for an hour and when I turned it back on it died.

No big surprise. Well, I'm learning.

Thanks again fellas.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What the M*g Xenon bulbs will do for the most part if centered up well in the reflector is make an almost lazer tight spot. DO NOT OVERDRIVE ONE!!! (ask me how I know after flashing 3 or 4 of them!).

I have a 4cell Xenon in my PT40 right now and it does a nice job with THAT reflector!

They still have the same issue in a M*g as all M*gs have and that is they won't defocus to a flood for doodoo. They still get a great big hole!

Either because they are brighter, or because the tight focus makes them SEEM brighter is up for scientific testing.

One last item: Almost ANY M*g (and several other lights) can get a better beam with the application of Writeright PDA film (must use film for a B&W PDA). It does a good job of blending all the artifacts into a smooth beam. Also, careful centering of the bulb can have a good effect.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeSchmoe-

I'll try a zenon.

I remember some of you talking about correct centering with the Carleys being important as, I assume,they are more powerful so off-centering is more noticable.

Thanks.

Rebus

Enlightened
What I do is use the three cell bulb until
it is too dim. Then I switch to the 2 cell
bulb and I get another 3 hours of light.
I have not had one pop yet.

-Rebus

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
An overdrive option for that light that is more likely to work is to put 4 C cells in it using a PVC pipe as a holder. You can then drive a 4-cell bulb or overdrive a 3 cell Mag Krypton bulb and it will be more reliable than what you are doing now. There may be some other details to this mod that I don't recall offhand but that have been discussed in the mod forum.

Latest posts