Solarforce Masterpiece CURRENT REVIEW

gte217e

Newly Enlightened
If you are interested in this flashlight, please read the following:

Being a home inspector, I needed a flashlight that was bright enough to light up the crawl spaces and be thin enough to carry on a C-cell sized belt loop.

I personally have the Sunlite WFP16 or whatever model it is. It is a fantastic flashlight and could not recommend it enough.
My business partner, seeing my flashlight, decided to get his own and asked me for help in picking one.

I went on this forum and found a review on the Solarforce Masterpiece being somewhat favorable. However, there are no reviews out there that conduct what I would call a stress test.

The Solarforce Masterpiece, or what it is now known as, the Solarfarce Masterpiece-o-sh!t, was a complete waste of money.

Results:

Purchased one on eBay for my partner. Came with a cracked lens. After repeated attempts to contact the seller to get a replacement lens for 2 months, he consistently told me the factory would not send one out. I didn't buy the excuse. My business partner ended up making his own lens.

My partners assistant wanted his own flashlight (they conduct the termite and mold inspections). He liked the brightness of the Solarfarce Masterpiece-o-sh!t and ordered one on eBay on his own... apparently from the same seller. Prior to his ordering the Solarfarce, I tried to persuade him to get a different brand of flashlight. He didn't listen.

The flashlight came and within a week it stopped working. The light would not activate. It had a defective tail switch. He sent the flashlight back to the seller in Hong Kong. I told him to sell it on eBay as a broken flashlight and not to send it back to the seller. It has been a month with no response from the seller about a replacement flashlight. So he is out the cost of the flashlight, shipping to Hong Kong, and the value of what he could sell a broken flashlight for on eBay or here.

Then the original flashlight with the broken, but now replaced, lens started to act up. In order to switch brightness levels; all you had to do is click the tail switch... right?.... wrong! Now the only way to switch levels, and to even turn it on and off, is to hit the tail cap on its side with your hand.

To make matters worse, there is no clicky feedback on the tailcap switch and is extremely mushy and not at all pleasant to use.

To give you an idea of the kind of abuse our flashlights go through:

Crawling through attics
Crawling through dusty crawl spaces under houses
Lights are activated and deactivated approximately 150 - 300 times a day
Lights remain on for up to 30 minutes while in crawl spaces and attics.

I have had my Sunlite for MONTHS without one issue under the above demands.

We have now purchased two M30 Tritons with the anticipation of better results. Personally, I wanted them to order two Sunlites but they didn't want to pay as much and they wanted more lumens.

So I propose a toast. Here is to the worst flashlight I have ever had the displeasure of using. This toast is in honor of....

THE SOLARFARCE MASTERPIECE-O-SH!T

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, what ebay seller did you purchase it from? There are lots of counterfeits floating around on ebay, and the ones that are real are generally from HK sites that take forever to ship, are hard to talk to, and have terrible quality control. Try ordering from a US dealer like sbflashlights.com.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
That sounds very frustrating, sorry you had trouble.

Could the eBay seller have been crooked? Maybe it isn't entirely Solarforces fault?

I have an M30 and like it a lot! I hope it works well for you all too.

gte217e

Newly Enlightened
Yes the eBay seller was from Hong Kong and has a gazillion feedback ratings.

I think it just boils down to the fact that these particular flashlights were not built with the intention of being used the way we use them.

Like I said in the review, the Sunlite is amazing and holds up incredibly well and was the best money I've ever spent on a flashlight.

I have been pushing the M30 before the second solarforce was purchased and NOW he listens. He bought two to replace the Solarforces.

If it is really good I may buy one as a backup to my Sunlite for when I forget to recharge the battery.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
If the lens came cracked, that might be due to the shipper's fault.

Also, like joshconsulting said before, there are a lot of counterfeits. Definitely try some of the more reputable dealers in the US such as lighthound or sbflashlights next time.

I own 4 Solarforces and they have all been pretty good quality - no failures on any of them.

Vesper

Enlightened
Definitely sounds frustrating. Only buy from a place with great customer relations, even if it costs a bit more.

Hopefully your replacements will work out for you - sounds like you really put them through the test. Let us know how they hold up.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I have used lots of Solarforce flashlights and the only ones that I've had a problem with are the fake ones.
The real ones appear to be well built. The fake ones have issues with switches and I had one that had driver problems.
I haven't bought a solarforce in long time so I don't know who sells the fake ones.
But if you really want a dependable flashlight that will last a long time and more go for a Surefire.

gte217e

Newly Enlightened
I suppose it's possible it was a fake; however, it had me fooled when I compared what I got with previous reviews of this flashlight on here as they looked the same.

I agree with choosing the right dealer and have no problem spending more money; however, when looking through eBay there wasn't a lot to choose from, so I went with the person who had the most positive feedback.

The first flashlight I had purchased on behalf of my partner, was with my american express gold card. So needless to say, american express gave me my money back when the dealer refused to replace the lens of the flashlight after 2 or 3 months. I am covered for accidental damage within the first 60 days. So that's a nice feature that american express offers.

I will be back to let everyone know about the M30.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Nifty, American express is handy. Sadly, feedback ratings don't really reflect counterfeit vs. non; counterfeit's often don't show for weeks or months depending on how you use them, and as long as the seller paid refunds if the person hadn't already left feedback, he would never have received negative. Counterfeit are designed to look almost perfectly identical, but they are made using inferior parts and subpar machinery with 'anything goes' quality control, so they break easily and are frequently dimmer then the real thing.

What was the name? There's one, possibly 2, genuine solarforce dealers on Ebay. There used to be a third, but they were cut off by solarforce after some shady business practices.

swissfan

Newly Enlightened
Joshconsulting, who are the two genuine solarforce dealers on ebay? I ordered an L2 last week and am wondering if I will get a fake. I would pm, but I don't have enough posts to do so, yet. Thanks for any information.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info as I was about to purchase this light or a tk30 or 40..think it will be the tk30 from a US or Canadian dealer..

I also just received an L2 kit from itc_shop today actually and all arrived in good order and was fast (8 days)..Also they were very polite and fast in their emails..it was missing the North American AC adapter for it though, but has the car charger plug so it's not a really big deal..was planning on a nicer charger anyway..

Last edited:

gte217e

Newly Enlightened
itc_shop is great as long as there isn't a problem. They were extremely nice to me via email and always responded with an excuse and a promise of replacing the lens. Empty promises. I know it doesn't take 3 months to get a replacement lens on a production flashlight.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
They don't counterfeit (I've ordered from them before), but like all HK dealers they have QC issues and the expected support problems (with 3-4 week shipping delay + no one there is a native English speaker, so everything is run through translation software and is difficult to understand). Try a US dealer next time.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Josh, you ever get your bezel ring(?) from them?

How on earth could you possibly have remembered that :faint:

No, I never got the SS Bezel ring. I assume it was lost during shipment; apparently it was rather hectic during the holiday season, and the L2P took 3.5 weeks to get to me. Glad the Bezel was lost instead of the L2P. Anyway, I talked to itc_shop about a month and a half later, and they agreed to refund my money no questions asked - pretty impressive. They claimed they shipped it, and officially their policy is that they are only responsible for 'tracked' shipments which I hadn't payed for, but they said they 'didn't want to see me unhappy' and refunded it anyway. I even told them (and did) give them 5 star positive feedback before sending the message for their hep supporting me with the L2P, so it's pretty good CS. But like I said, they have to cut corners to make a profit at their low prices, so QC\shipping delay\communication is below what a US dealer offers.