4sevens 2xCR123 problems

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 4Sevens 2xCR123 today and noticed something very wrong right away: the light strobes/flashes rapidly no matter what mode the light is in. It will "hold" its brightness so long as I dont move it. And even that is only 50/50. I have tried multiple batteries of various voltages and makes and the light still strobes randomly and of different levels of brightness. I have tried loosening the head by a lot, but no luck. Even touching it will cause this thing to flash. What is going on with this light?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi vio765,

try cleaning the contact points in the light, specifically the one in the head.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
just did, got some dirt stuff off of said contact, but the light still has problems. thanks for ringing in

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
standard 'out of the box' fix for all quarks are to dis-assemble the tailcap.
Using stiff assembly tweezers or needle nose pliers, place the prongs in the holes in the retaining ring and unscrew it.
Clean spring, clean contact plate and retaining ring, re-assemble.

The common issue is that the retaining ring is a bit loose. But with the 3 quark tailcaps I've received, I have never been able to fix them by only tightening the ring. I've tried it each time (and I'm fairly strong), and I've always given in after an hour or a day and stripped it down and rebuilt it.

First step to trouble shooting, please do this well then PM me if you're still outa luck.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I took the button out and sprayed it with compressed air then reinserted the switch into the tailcap. The light doesn't flash anymore, but stays on "high". There is no distinction between modes. Except for Turbo. That setting is VERY obvious. I think I have a POS. I will exchange it for a replacement.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
standard 'out of the box' fix for all quarks are to dis-assemble the tailcap.

Your joking, lol. That's just unacceptable. 4sevens is a new...ish manufacturer, so expect teething problems.
vio765, if cleaning the contact points hasn't resolved the issue, your next port of call would be to send the light back for a replacement. Don't settle for anything less.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I am not going to rush to judgement just yet. I am going to get a replacement (and INSISTING that it be tested before it is shipped out) and if it has even a smidge of problems, I will go in another direction and avoid 4Sevens' lights altogether. If I were 4Sevens' QC manager, I would be sweating.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
vio765, have you contacted our customer service? Which model did you get the regular or tactical? Turbo version? If you contact them they will 1) diagnose the problem over the phone or email and possibly resolve the problem. 2) if it's not resolvable a new unit would be on its way to you by the end of the day.

We actual discover 90% of issues are due to user error. (i.e. reversed battery, tail or head not tightened etc.) I'm not saying that this is the case but it's better to go through the usual run through before making allegations that it's a POS or attacking the QC department. I can tell you we have NEVER encountered what you've described and we've shipped thousands and thousands of quarks.

Call in and get it resolved.

By the way we do not test lights before shipping out. The products are sealed and the shipping department is not allowed break the seals.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
vio765, have you contacted our customer service? Which model did you get the regular or tactical? Turbo version? If you contact them they will 1) diagnose the problem over the phone or email and possibly resolve the problem. 2) if it's not resolvable a new unit would be on its way to you by the end of the day.

4sevens = awesome.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
vio765, have you contacted our customer service? ...............If you contact them they will 1) diagnose the problem over the phone or email and possibly resolve the problem. 2) if it's not resolvable a new unit would be on its way to you by the end of the day.Call in and get it resolved.
I can vouch for that. I had a problem with torch (one small problem out of about seven torches) and they shipped me a new one almost immediately I contacted them despite the fact that I'm half a world away so they knew they weren't going to see the faulty one back for at least a week.

Impeccable customer service from a company that already has very competitive prices, fast turnaround of orders and the best international shipping policy of any US torch retailer that I've found.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the tactical version? If you do, maybe both modes in tight and loose is programmed to turbo? Just a suggestion.

Sector7

Enlightened
I just got my 4Sevens 2xCR123 today and .... I have tried multiple batteries of various voltages...

Do yourself a favor and never play with 2xCR123 with various voltages :poof: try to best match the 2 batteries voltages for 2xcr123 lights...

vio765

Newly Enlightened
I got the regular version. I had the tactical version and learned how to program it (pretty cool, actually). I had to send it back to get the regular version, though- it wasn't what I was looking for.

-by various voltages: I mean both cells are equal voltages. i.e. both cells are 3.0 volts or both cells are 2.85 volts. I know to never mix voltages.

-4Sevens: I don't mean the company or its product is a POS, I mean the individual light is a POS. I am fully aware of the reputation the Quark Series has and I am not dumb enough to attack it. Also, the CQ manager should sweat because it could mean that a bad batch (or something to that effect) might have slipped by. But you what you are doing.

Sorry for the percieved attack, I will be more specific next time. That will be great if I can resolve this via the phone. Thanks for ringing in, folks!

vio765

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE: The flashing is gone, but a new and more troublesome problem has developed. When I switch the light to Turbo, the head is warmish/hot in 10-15 seconds. Literally 10-15 seconds! Also, the color of the light goes to a bluish/purple and is not very bright (relative to Turbo). The space underneath the lens but above the emitter gets "foggy"! I had a light once where I accidentally touched the reflector and tried cleaning it with a microfiber cloth. If that has happened to anyone then you know how bad it looks. It looks like wiping a mirror with cooking spray. So I shut the light off and after a moment the reflector and lens go back to perfectly clean and clear.
4Sevens cust support is sending me a new unit. lol, when I told the CSR what you just read I think I scared him! :eek: Nevertheless they took care of me. I am beginning to think that if this light is a one-in-a-million flukes, then I should play the lottery, win it, and buy the entire 4sevens line!

sabre7

Enlightened

We actual discover 90% of issues are due to user error. (i.e. reversed battery, tail or head not tightened etc.) I'm not saying that this is the case but it's better to go through the usual run through before making allegations that it's a POS or attacking the QC department. I can tell you we have NEVER encountered what you've described and we've shipped thousands and thousands of quarks.

Call in and get it resolved.

By the way we do not test lights before shipping out. The products are sealed and the shipping department is not allowed break the seals.

Posting such a complaint/issue thread without contacting customer service first makes it seem the poster is deliberately trying to bash the dealer and or light.

Last edited:

vio765

Newly Enlightened
-4Sevens: I don't mean the company or its product is a POS, I mean the individual light is a POS. I am fully aware of the reputation the Quark Series has and I am not dumb enough to attack it.

Sorry for the percieved attack, I will be more specific next time. That will be great if I can resolve this via the phone. Thanks for ringing in, folks![/QUOTE]

carrot

Flashaholic
People are extremely protective of 4sevens, as he is both a respected member here and a longtime dealer of our favorite brands. So apologies. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction and I'm sure 4sevens will make sure to do everything he can.

vio765

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if I offended my flashlight brothers and 4Sevens. The problem has been resolved, I made my apologies, and now it is time to move foward. I am done with this thread. :)